Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being in a city under siege, SHTF advice

Land of a thousand lakes Northern Horseman's Avatar
    The geographical center of British Columbia

Default Being in a city under siege, SHTF advice

Always great to learn from one thats been there and lived to tell.

When SHTF there might not be army outside shooting at you, but there might be gangs who prey on you to get your supplies. Being under siege feels like someone takes the ground away you walked on.
    LINK
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero
    (106 BC - 43 BC)

The Balkan wars are the best example of just how bad things can get. I'm glad i'm not in a city.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I don't plan on going to Syria so I guess I'm safe.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rick, Could recommend a good book about the siege of cities during WWII

I don't plan to go to Europe or the Far East either. So I'm still good.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The key is ,GET OUT!FAST!And on the article he is right you have to push those things to the back of your mind or they will drive you insane.I feel for the man,been there,life sometimes has it's really bad moments but you have to go on.

------------------------------------
    USMC
    Improvise,Overcome,Adapt
    Never surender your dignity or your life,make them pay,dearly!
    Last edited by wholsomback; 02-28-2012 at 10:51 AM.

I would say if your gonna be in the city , you know the roads will be clogged (which means no travel ) ,even if you could travel government troops or cops would have check points/searches everywhere , so they need to be avoided , side streets too! If you cant get out a week in advance , start thinking about going "underground" , learn the sewer system , the sewer system is a highway all by itself , sure there are some city workers who know the routes and theres homeless and thugs who know it as well , its advisable to learn and understand it , because not all routes can be travelled by foot , not saying that its all that bad , belly crawling is ok if you fit and know the route , the last thing you want to do is belly crawl a 100 feet only to find out that the tunnel gets smaller , its a long way back in reverse ! Follow the walkable routes if you no the routes also have crawlable routes they could be hideouts , try to find your way out of the city , it can be just as long as the above ground highway and no less dangerous, I would advise carrying a gun and travel in pairs! Travel quickly (hence learn the route) use spray paint as indicators for your route , try using a stencil with unfamiliar symbols to spay on the wall , using green or yellow paint , red symbols indicate danger ,Id use that as a means to indicate tunnels that are dead ends , update this frequently because storms will wash the paint away , the reason for unfamiliar symbols is that if they are unfamiliar to you they will be to others as well , except they wont have a notebook revealing what the symbols mean ,and most likely will leave them alone (if you and your group practice enough you wont need the notebook ,because memory will work)! Im not saying its ideal ,in a large city like New York or Philly it could be a week long adventure , and you will encounter danger , your best bet is to hook up with others throughout the city , each will have a section of the city as there responsibility , once you make it to there section , they take over ! I know this works because when I was a kid this is how we did it in the Washington,DC suburbs , it worked too, we knew every route of the sewer system !
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

Siege of Leningrad ( 872 days )

if you can get out before a siege starts, then get out

defense thru mobility
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I'm with Rick, I'll bury my head in the sand and pretend it will never happen here.

The problem is that if has happened here. You d#%myankees just never excperienced it in your historic/collective memory. We from the south still look at the lumps of ground that do not belong where they are and walk the parks and pass the monuments of the disasters on a daily basis.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/stereo.1s02511/

http://www.google.com/search?q=siege...w=1440&bih=648

The politicians of this nation will gladly invade, lay seige too and slaughter their own citizens for the preservation of their political power. "Sometimes you have to distroy the villiage to save the village"

Our cities, transportation networks, infrastructure or population have no guarentees attached to them. You can be holding the Winter Olympics one year and dodging RPGs the next.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You know, I really don't know how to respond to the siege thing?
    Who's gonna siege us?......Illinoisans? (They do every summer)......city people?....I guess I would worry about some one squatting on my locations, or trying to....That's what you are talking about.

Government?....I guessing you aren't gonna see much of anybody, as most everyone will be pissed off and looking for a gov'ment type to *****.......
    Zombies....OK plug in meth/crack heads here.....I'm confused?
    Sewers/.....Gonna have to be a rat....pipes pretty small here, and at "The Place' just go to septic......

I'm guessing and am prepared as best as I can to get out of dodge, (if necessary) traffic and closed roads may be the biggest problem........

So, I thinking I would have to be in a bigger city to be an issue....personally.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I'm with Rick, I'll bury my head in the sand and pretend it will never happen here.

The problem is that if has happened here. You d#%myankees just never excperienced it in your historic/collective memory. We from the south still look at the lumps of ground that do not belong where they are and walk the parks and pass the monuments of the disasters on a daily basis.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/stereo.1s02511/

The politicians of this nation will gladly invade, lay seige too and slaughter their own citizens for the preservation of their political power. "Sometimes you have to distroy the villiage to save the village"

Our cities, transportation networks, infrastructure or population have no guarentees attached to them. You can be holding the Winter Olympics one year and dodging RPGs the next.
    Can I be an honorary southerner since I'm not quite in the south lol My family history says we fought with the Missouri Partisan Raiders in the Kansas border war, because the north was occupying our land, burning crops and raping the women....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I even got the bars and stars flying in my dorm room lol
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

My answer to this thread would be don't live in the city is you dont have to. But if I lived in a large city, I would have a place to go plan, and try to leave well ahead of the chaos. And if you wait too late, walk, ride a bicycle or motorcycle because you aint getting out with a car!
    Carry a gun but keep it concealed, and try to look like a homeless bag dude as much as possible. The worse you look, the less you will be bothered, and take the back roads all the way out!

I'm with Hunter (even though my head is buried, it's just not in the sand). Who on earth is going to "siege" us? I thought the Canadians might invade us but they're just to darn nice. They'd probably ask permission first. Then I thought the Mexicans might but they're already here. Then I thought the folks from Greenland might but they're too smart for that. No one else is close enough to cause more than a good ruckus.

I refuse to access Indy's sewer system for any reason. I might, might take to the steam tunnels but all that steam would play havoc with my hair.

No, boys and girls. I'm not worried about a siege. Hunter and I will sit on the porch, drink beer and watch ya'll belly crawl through the storm drains.

Yeah...anyway the city just stopped by and said I would need a permit for my moat and siege tower.....and a environmental study....and a height variance.....so I put my folding shovel away, and headed for the porch, gonna be 5 o'clock some where, pretty soon........nice globally warmed day to day.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I don't know why everyone hates cities. If me and the buds are out for an afternoon of pillaging and we're walking down a country road. We'll see one house and that's the one we pillage. If we're in the city there are hundreds of domiciles. The odds of yours being selected are pretty slim. Lot's more resources for me to choose from, too. Gun shops, police stations, National guard armories, even an actual military base.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't know why everyone hates cities. If me and the buds are out for an afternoon of pillaging and we're walking down a country road. We'll see one house and that's the one we pillage. If we're in the city there are hundreds of domiciles. The odds of yours being selected are pretty slim. Lot's more resources for me to choose from, too. Gun shops, police stations, National guard armories, even an actual military base.
    True...for starters.
    After that, they'll move on to food & medical resources. When they're done exhausting the "low hanging fruit", the'll move on to breaking into apts. and most likely offing those who are still around. Without the LE/National Guard getting back in charge, these gangs can survive like this for a very long time--no need to leave when they have everything they need right at their fingertips. And it's their habitat just as much as it is mine.
    Something that does cross my mind every now and then.

With the elevator out? Do you actually think they are gonna walk stairs? Not a chance.

Originally Posted by Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    True...for starters.
    After that, they'll move on to food & medical resources. When they're done exhausting the "low hanging fruit", the'll move on to breaking into apts. and most likely offing those who are still around. Without the LE/National Guard getting back in charge, these gangs can survive like this for a very long time--no need to leave when they have everything they need right at their fingertips. And it's their habitat just as much as it is mine.
    I do not believe we are going to see "the end of our world" as so many in the "survival community" envision and postulate. "What if ...?", where everything has broken down, and we're going back to the Stone Age, or a combination of Mad Max, The Road, and Book of Eli.

But, as long as this is a "What if ...?" thread, and I happen to deal in the "What if ...?" racket for a living, I offer my idea on what would happen.

I submit that in certain large cities where the far left "progressives" long ago systematically disarmed most of the honest people of those cities, Benesse's scenario might apply to some degree. It is very difficult for unarmed people to fight against armed criminals, and the criminals and gangstas are always going to be armed. Afterall, they don't bother to obey the law anyway.

On the other hand, however, I do not agree that criminals and gangstas are invulnerable, invincible, nor bullet proof. I firmly believe that in States and cities where the citizens still have their Constitutional and Unalienable Right to own firearms, and have every intention of resisting brutal criminals, the criminals and gangstas are gonna find themselves being slaughtered by the honest citizens who will have no objection whatsoever to kill vicious criminals in order to protect themselves, their families, their goods, and their neighbors who stand and fight.

Some people will post that it is a fact that there are "some" gangstas in the U.S. Military, there to learn how to kill the non-gangstas and citizens when they get out and decide to take over the United States. Perhaps there are some with that illogical brain set. But there are millions of ex-military members, old, middle aged, and young, who haven't the faintest intention of allowing that to happen. And those ex-military members are also well armed... and know how to use those arms.

Whether or not there is L.E., or Nat'l Guard soldiers around, the criminals will be stacked up like cord wood, if they are stupid enough to attack armed citizens. Armed U.S. citizens will not stand for being butchered by a bunch of criminal parasites.

If we look at what has actually happened in cases where things went wild in cities, I.e. Los Angeles during the 1992 South Central riots, and New Orleans and other surrounding cities during and after Hurricane Katrina, when the hordes came to loot, kill, and destroy in neighborhoods where honest residents had no intention of allowing the cretins to carry out their nefarious and brutal missions, the bad guys lost every time.

No, when push comes to shove, the good guys and gals are going to win.

Just my thoughts on it.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 02-29-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Correct typo.

Seniornan that all makes sense, and I hope you are right. I agree with Rick that no outside forces are going to seige the cities, the seige will come from within and some people will want to get out.
    Personally I like living in the country because I can see them coming from a long way off, and out here if they dont act right, I'll just shoot them. But in the city there are too many people and you dont know who to shoot until it's too late.
    It is extremely rare for anybody I dont know to come to my house, in fact I can count them on 1 hand. And if I dont know them, I simply dont answer the door. If they choose to come in anyway, it's the last door they will ever see.
    But in the city you never know who is going to show up or when. Out in the country you can actually hear when things arent right, but not in the city. Out in the country you can actually have a place to camp out on your own land and not go to a State Park just to camp!
    Everybody around me has guns and shoots them on a regular basis and if the gangs come out here, they are in deep doo doo because these folks dont mess around. All of my neighbors are hard working farmers and the kind of people you can trust when things get bad to ban together and protect the community.
    I seriously doubt that you find many people in cities that you could trust enough to ban with. They would ban with you long enough to wack you and take your stuff!