Thread: Youth Survival Camp Video

Default Youth Survival Camp Video

Ten youth from our Venture Crew attended a survival camp. For some it was the first time they ever did a primitive camp. We practiced skills such as basic fire craft without matches or a lighter. They also built a survival shelter and camped in it. Then they had to harvest rabbits and the crew prepared it for our dinner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HT8QouKBBI

Nice. It looks like it warmed up pretty decent during the day. Glad you had a good time.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Temps in mid-day were high 50,s. You only felt cool in the shade.

Looks like the kids had a good time and learned alot. It also seems that you had fun taking the opportunity to teach and mentor these kids for a weekend. Even if they don't get into it for life, they will never forget the expierence.

Kudos to you!

Good for the kids, And think you for takeing them out.

Great video, and great activity. Sometimes it is hard with youth to strike that balance between making it fun and pushing them, especially when they aren't familiar with being outdoors. Sometimes you just have to let them sleep in a tent and maybe just help someone else build a shelter. The first time I took my scouts out to build shelters, I didn't think they did a good job, or really understood the concept. The next time, I added a knife as a prize and motivator. The second timers did really well, but the first timers weren't motivated and some even gave up. So, they slept under a tarp instead. It is just repetition and exposure. The more dirt time they get, the more they understand.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Great getting the kids out,our family and friends are planning one in March,it's there 5th so they are getting better motivated about learning.The last outing we had the girls actually trapped a 50 pound pig and they were set with food so they were all happy.

Now that sounds like fun.

I've had this one tagged for a week to watch. Thanks for taking the time, here, and more importantly there.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    I've had this one tagged for a week to watch. Thanks for taking the time, here, and more importantly there.
    I'm glad you liked it. The youth are looking forward to another trip in the future.

I'm glad you take the time for the kids,& us thank you

Thanks for watching.