Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freeze Dried meals or "MRE" meals.........???? Taste & Storage.

I'll be darned, Brilliant!
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    I personally like the freeze dried better , You need water ,but thats not a problem even in the field ,MREs are heavier and really bulkier to carry , I eat them as well because the calorie count is more balanced I think ,which is better for longterm wilderness survival , I would suggest bringing some spices if you plan to exist on MREs because they are pretty bland I would also bring some "Senna leaves" if you can find them at a health food store , basically they are so you can digest the mre , MREs always stop me up so I need something to "release" the plumbing clog!
    You have to chew the gum if you're going to eat MREs. The meals are designed to be dense and with a high calorie count so that you feel full longer and have the energy to perform strenuous tasks under harsh conditions. While there is much speculation on the truth of any "laxative" effect, I can tell you that if you chew the gum, you're less likely to get bound up. Good hydration also helps. Take it from an old Parachute Infantry squad leader.. Chew the gum.
    www.threesixtyosi.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcullen24 View Post
    Do they still have Ham & Chicken loaf? I found that particularly Disgusting!

I did like the Dehydrated Pork Patty though! It was like a Harry Potato chip!
    I remember the ham and chicken loaf.. not quite as bad as its' bland cousin "chicken loaf".. I think those two were phased out around 1988 or so.. I used to make a pretty good canteen cup chili with the dehydrated pork or beef patty, the soup base, beans, and plenty of hot sauce. ( I used to jump 2 small bottles of Red Hot in my ruck before they started adding Tabasco to the MREs..) I was usually able to score some extra heat tabs for cooking and coffee when the tactical situation would permit in the field. The effect of a steaming canteen cup of good chow or a hot cup of coffee is amazing in austere conditions.
    www.threesixtyosi.com

Mountain House for taste and weight hands down. They make a awesome buffalo flavored wrap filling, it has a good amount of heat. MRE's have their place no water needed and can warm them on a hot engine block.

The mountain house buffalo chicken. I just bought two more after my trial one a few weeks ago and I posted it up in an older thread, tasty stuff indeed. and 62 grams of protein in the 2 suggested serving size pouch.

Having lived in the desert for over 30 years anything that requires water I look at a lOOOOOg time before I try to store it. Without a well or river handy I try to store/keep on hand at least 90 days supply of water.

To old, to slow, to beat up and some what disabled I know I am going to have to Bug in. I try to keep canned stuff that can be eaten without water if necessary and could be eaten cold. Soups, Spam, corned beef hash, and of course Veggies.

I have my share of rice and dried beans but then again there is the water issue.

One of things I was taught a long time ago is that meat of any kind requires a lot of water to digest. But we need the protein.

OF Course eveerything gets rotated.

I keep reminding my of the 3;s

3 minutes without air
    3 days without water
    30 days without food.

I spent many a year eating canned "C"s not always by choice and have a small stash of MRE's on hand
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Stock MH, MRE's, Coleman FD, Bacon Flavor Spam (Darn Good Eats), & a lot of canned veggies. Also have a supply of MainStay food bars. Have a dehydrator, working on getting a vacuum sealer to vacuum seal my dehydrated food. Have tried the Beef Stroganoff from Wise Foods, not bad but needed some seasoning.
    Last edited by SpecWar; 08-22-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    For those who fight for it, Life has a special flavor the protected never know.... Khe Sahn "68" Unknown Marine

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The military issue ones I tried, I would say were equivalent to eating dirt. taste, texture, and nutritional value. I swear it was coming out of me like lava. I been eating too country for all those preservatives!