Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is a folding shovel worth the weight?

Well the last thing I want to do is take care os a burro. But my little wagon will pull some extra supplies, more than you could ever carry on your back, and would also be good to float supplies accross a creek, and gathering firewood once camp was made. It just seems like a handy tool for hiking out when you cant depend on roads and highways.
    I do agree that getting out ahead of the masses is the only way to go! My plan is to stay put on the homestead until there is absolutely no way to stay there any longer, since I am out in the country.

A good mil spec entrenching tool (E-Tool) is a good add to any bag. I've carried one for years and have dug many full fighting positions when D-handle shovels weren't available. Digging a hasty position even a few feet down could very likely save your behind in a variety of situations. I consider the few pounds to be very worthwhile.
    www.threesixtyosi.com

+1 Bushrat82

I think of a good Entrenching tool as the most important part of a survival pack.
    I always had mine hanging off my Alice Pack when I was in the Army. I'm definitely getting one before I head out.
    Last edited by jcullen24; 05-14-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

Well, in the army is one thing. I've never had a need for one out hiking or camping or backpacking. A cat hole trowel, yeah, but it's pretty light.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

As with many items, it comes down to personal preference for some tools in regard to application. While some may prefer to do without a folding shovel for a simple hike or overnight camping trip, it would no doubt be a handy item for extended stays in the wild. I'd think it would be a worthwhile addition to a bugout bag given the many uses in a more extreme scenario.
    www.threesixtyosi.com

I always carry some sort of folding shovel. Even if its just a really small one, it will still be super handy and very light weight.

I have a cold steel shovel with my BOB, its a little lighter than a fold-up, also I'm in the crashdive123 camp on how much stuff to carry in your BOB , as much stuff as you see fit, if you can pick it up and carry it to your vehicle your doing OK you can always shed stuff if you got to walk with it, mine right now is 65lbs if I had to hump it I could, shed some weight do that too, ya got to be capable in this day and age!

As has been said; it depends where you are and what you envision needing to do. If I lived in GA, I'd carry a small shovel. I would not carry the heavy folding e-tool though. I'd find something as tall as my ruck and strap it on the side.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

The Army taught me many things one of them was how to use a E tool so yes i carry one

Dude, I have an E tool but no mil experience, please share the info eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, me, too. Here's one where I almost made it. I'm in the silver truck right behind the white van.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    It's great to see how well some people use their photoshop skills. Except, the duplication of so many cars in blocks makes it very apparent that it is faked. Gotta love the effort though. Sadly, they were lazy enough to just duplicate the same lanes and just put them side by side, doubling the number of actual lanes.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

You mean there are like 9 of me?! Wait 'till mom finds out.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.