Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is a folding shovel worth the weight?

Check out this, it's kind of like some mutant offspring between a machete and a shovel...

http://www.amazon.com/Marble-Knives-.../dp/B005I58BQC
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Check out this, it's kind of like some mutant offspring between a machete and a shovel...

http://www.amazon.com/Marble-Knives-.../dp/B005I58BQC
    Well it looks pretty sturdy! It looks like a full sizr spade with a little bitty handle!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    1. Why limit your BOB to 3 days? If my house is hit by a tornado I'm probably going to be out of it more than 3 days. Same with a fire.
    2. they make an effective weapon when the shtf and ammo is gone.- So do my feet as in running in the opposite direction.
    They also make a great hammer for tent stakes. - I bought a rock for that.
    3. It has all terrain wheels, it is narrow, and will haul 300 lbs if needed. - Have you ever tried to pull or push 300 lbs across soft ground? I'm trying to figure out how to take LESS stuff to the woods.
    Look, I also said I wouldn't try to pull 300 lbs, I'm not quite that stupid yet! But if you were bugging out for several months, it would be handy to take additional supply's while you set out there with your single BOB and do without.
    And in extremely cold conditions, it is hard to survive with just the stuff you can get in a BOB, yes it can be done, but do I want to, no! So there could be cases that a wagon or a sled would be mighty handy.
    Last edited by Wildthang; 02-28-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Why does everybody throw their BOB on their back? I plan on throwing mine in my truck.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, well one is in each truck, then there is the carry ones, that can go on/in the trucks as well.......
    Basic truck on-board is flashlight, ax, shovel, saw, prybar, chain, strap, jack, jumper cables, tools and spares.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I don't have a vehicle, much less a truck. So whatever I carry will have to be on my back.
    But even if you do have a vehicle...what if you can't use it for whatever reason? Or have to abandon it along the way?
    Anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I don't have a vehicle, much less a truck. So whatever I carry will have to be on my back.
    But even if you do have a vehicle...what if you can't use it for whatever reason? Or have to abandon it along the way?
    Anything is possible.
    Thats right nesse! Most likely if a SHTF thing happened, we would probably have to put it on our back and start hiking. You cant depend on vehicles, and not many people, but you can always trust your backpack to go with you anytime you need it to. If times ever get too bad, a vehicle will probably only bring you trouble because people will want running vehicles and gas, and will probably shoot you for it!
    If I ever have to bug out, I will try to drive as close to my BOL as possible, and the vehicle is on it's own after that!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Thats right nesse! Most likely if a SHTF thing happened, we would probably have to put it on our back and start hiking. You cant depend on vehicles, and not many people, but you can always trust your backpack to go with you anytime you need it to. If times ever get too bad, a vehicle will probably only bring you trouble because people will want running vehicles and gas, and will probably shoot you for it!
    If I ever have to bug out, I will try to drive as close to my BOL as possible, and the vehicle is on it's own after that!
    Just exactly what do you envision for your shtf scenarios that are likely? I've bugged out several times and it has been because of approaching storms, flooding and wild fires. I figured it was easier to drive.

B - I completely understand your situation and agree that you will be on foot for at least a part of your trip.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Anything is possible.
    Thant why there is the carry versions and the truck versions.....BTW carry versions does fit into truck as well......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Land of a thousand lakes Northern Horseman's Avatar
    The geographical center of British Columbia

Horseman, I have had the same thoughts on how to get more stuff into the woods, and since I dont have a horse, I would use something else. I was in my shed yesterday and saw my Gorilla cart. I though, you know that thing would be perfect to load up and take extra stuff into the woods if the SHTF. It has all terrain wheels, it is narrow, and will haul 300 lbs if needed. No way I would try to pull 300 lbs, but 80 lbs or so would be fairly easy.
    I think it has potential!
    I like your cart idea, its always good to use the things we have available, my only complaint would be area specific, meaning a cart like that would not work well in my area. We have so many dead falls in my area, a travois will just slide over a tree, your cart would need modifications so it would not get caught up in trees and bush.
    You always have to take into account the cost in energy to pull something through the bush.

Your cart would still be effective in bush if you attached a skid plate underneath. Make it as wide as the two axles and tapered up in the front like a ski. This cart is also listed as being able to be pulled by an ATV, for this alone I would make this skid modification to the bottom, otherwise you'll rip out an axle the first hidden stump.
    Happy trails!
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero
    (106 BC - 43 BC)

For backpacking, I carry a snow stake for digging cat holes. It won't break like a plastic shovel will (for some reason I know this), and I can use it for something else (as a stake).

My BOB is different. And, I have three levels. One level is basically a PSK. I try and make it very small. Then I attach my PSK to a larger pack for some added comfort. My third level is a car. I add more stuff to the car kit that basically augments everything else. So, if I have to bug out, I take as much as I can in a car. Then later, if the car isn't viable, I drop down to the next level and carry the big heavy pack. If that becomes something I can't take, I can still take my small PSK. Anyways, that is my plan so far.

As to a shovel, I don't have one yet, but do plan to add an e-tool to the larger pack. The car kit gets a real spade. I used e-tools in the army. They don't compare to a real shovel, but are still good tools for what they are. I will never take one backpacking though.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

His BOB is pictured in his avatar. Don't let him fool you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Horseman View Post
    I like your cart idea, its always good to use the things we have available, my only complaint would be area specific, meaning a cart like that would not work well in my area. We have so many dead falls in my area, a travois will just slide over a tree, your cart would need modifications so it would not get caught up in trees and bush.
    You always have to take into account the cost in energy to pull something through the bush.

Your cart would still be effective in bush if you attached a skid plate underneath. Make it as wide as the two axles and tapered up in the front like a ski. This cart is also listed as being able to be pulled by an ATV, for this alone I would make this skid modification to the bottom, otherwise you'll rip out an axle the first hidden stump.

Happy trails!
    Well here in northern Ohio, there are wide open corn and soy bean fields, and the wood are even fairly easy to get through. There are some thickets but you can always find a way around those, so a cart would be easy to push for long distances around here. But I like the skid plate idea, and when I build my BOC I will use that! I also have had thoughts of a battery compartment with a motorcycle battery, and a solar cell, to charge flashlights, cell phones, and walkie talkies, almost any portable unit can be charges with 12 volts.
    Last edited by Wildthang; 03-03-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Land of a thousand lakes Northern Horseman's Avatar
    The geographical center of British Columbia

I also have had thoughts of a battery compartment with a motorcycle battery, and a solar cell, to charge flashlights, cell phones, and walkie talkies, almost any portable unit can be charges with 12 volts.
    You might want to consider using a deep cycle battery instead of a motorcycle battery, it will work much better for your type of application and last way longer.
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero
    (106 BC - 43 BC)

Hey folks! Just joined.

I think the best single answer to the original question is the tried-and-true "well, it depends..."

And of course it depends on a number of things. My contribution is the nature of the ground over which you're likely to be buggin' out. In much of the southwestern USA (including much of SoCal), the ground is SO hard that digging with anything short of a pick is impractical -- unless it has recently been raining. I carry an e-tool in my 5-day vehicle kit, but probably wouldn't put it in my BOB. I often carry a small metal trowel in my day-hiking gear, and it is so light that I wouldn't notice it in my BOB.

Regarding the BOV (Bug Out Vehicle), my Explorer is my/our primary. Plus, we have two mountain bikes that we ride regularly. As an additional option, we have two bicycle cargo trailers. The bikes will go on the back of my Explorer and the trailers can be stowed on top (broken down, of course.) I have already charted a few bicycle escape routes that will keep us off the heavily-traveled roads.

The thing I especially like about the bicycle option is that, if need be, I can remove the pedals, strap everything onto the bicycles, and simply walk them along. I seem to remember that this technique was used to transport many tons of supplies...
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 03-08-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Addition

Okay now my friends. we need to design the perfect bugout bike But seriously a bike is a very good means of transportation in SHTF. I would walk before I would sit in a car for hours or days. Isnt it weird that people will just keep sitting in a car on the freeway until they starve and dehydrate. It's like they are glued to their car!

Okay now my friends. we need to design the perfect bugout bike But seriously a bike is a very good means of transportation in SHTF.
    Thanks, Wildthang, for the endorsement. 'Tis much appreciated!

I would walk before I would sit in a car for hours or days. Isnt it weird that people will just keep sitting in a car on the freeway until they starve and dehydrate. It's like they are glued to their car!
    The first key, my friend, is to do everything one step ahead of the masses. I have a fair amount of experience with natural disasters (I grew up along the Gulf Coast, btw), and this one "key" has worked well -- each and every time.

The second key is avoid the freeways, major highways, and other heavily-traveled routes like the plague!

Regards,

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 03-08-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Correction

Yeah, me, too. Here's one where I almost made it. I'm in the silver truck right behind the white van.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You know there is one cart we have forgotten all about, and it is the easiest way to transport anything through the wild, a Burro! But then again, you still have to feed the little boogers!

You know there is one cart we have forgotten all about, and it is the easiest way to transport anything through the wild, a Burro! But then again, you still have to feed the little boogers!
    Burros are sturdy and amazing creatures. Given half-a-chance, they'll feed themselves on whatever plant matter is available.

Still like my mountain bike/trailer, though. Neither of them eats anything, and they only require periodic lubrication. Can you say "spit"? I knew you could...

-- Nighteyes