Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is a folding shovel worth the weight?

Hijack! Why, sir, I'll have you know the post was about shovels! Your confession is here for all eternity in case you were wondering.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yes, I took a deep breath before the post.

I considered moving forward with the four causes of monkey butt complete with pictures, but thought better that I not.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You, sir, are a true pioneer. A few questions if I may. Where do you find a monkey? How do you get it to hold still long enough to shave it's butt? Can you just bend the monkey over your knee and shave away? How does the monkey act when you splash on the aftershave? Do monkeys with shaved butts experience peer ridicule? (I never have but the hong pretty much requires a shaved butt). What do you do if the monkey enjoys a shaved butt a little too much? Can a monkey be taught to shave your butt? So many questions, so little time.
    Only Rick would turn true scarcasim into a whole new thread!

Now if you do have monkey butt we have medds for that!

http://www.drugstore.com/anti-monkey...ch=monkey+butt
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    .......Now if you do have monkey butt we have medds for that!........
    And again, I beg to differ. The powders are somewhat effective at prevention. The creams will prevent, and cure.

Well I thought I could add some friends to the mixthumbnailCAKQ8ENV.jpg1000947_199172_A_400.jpg

A great product so your monkey doesn't get chapped.

to add to this thread, and be un-American at the same time. I just won an ebay auction for one of those chinese military shovels. Once I get it I am gonna put it through a lot of work. I gotta dig a fire pit and clear out more in the wooded area. after the machete accident today I'll use that instead.

If it works how it is supposed to I will say yay or nay. I will be taking pictures for a true review.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Have seen this in the check out lanes........
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ant..._Personal_Care
    Hello,......hello....anybody out there?.....helllllooooo?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks for the most diverse replys! Now I know that I can get a lightweight garden tool shovel at Wallmart that will do the job, Monkeys shave their butts, and when they get a rash from shaving, they make a powder for it, and Rick shaves his even though he's not a monkey. Now where else could you get info like that from simply asking about a shovel? This place is truly amazing!

No need to thank us. We're just good like that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by vahtryn View Post
    to add to this thread, and be un-American at the same time. I just won an ebay auction for one of those chinese military shovels. Once I get it I am gonna put it through a lot of work. I gotta dig a fire pit and clear out more in the wooded area. after the machete accident today I'll use that instead.

If it works how it is supposed to I will say yay or nay. I will be taking pictures for a true review.
    WHOOOOOO!

This is the first we have heard about a machette accident! such events usually involve missing didgets, limbs, multiple nicks and abrasions and/or sutures.

Details! We need details!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Land of a thousand lakes Northern Horseman's Avatar
    The geographical center of British Columbia

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I pretty much have the essentials in my Bob, and so far it is not too heavy to pack all day. But lately I have been thinking about a folding shovel. But even the folding ones would have to weigh at least 1 1/2 pounds, and you know as well as I that weight adds up quick in a BOB.
    So far I have never failed to find other ways to dig, but then again I have never had to dig a lot. I am thinking that if I did get a shovel, It would have to replace something else to be worth the weight. I do carry a hatchet, and I have used it to loosen up soil for digging, but it dulls it pretty fast, and I am not sure I would give up my hatchet for anyhting.
    So do you guys carry a shovel?
    my answer would be depends on the situation.
    I've given a lot of thought to this concept of a bug out bag, most consider it to be a bag with all you need to survive for up to three days, not very relevant where I live, considering I'm already way out in the bush.

I'm not one to reinvent the wheel so I tend to think in terms of what could help me to get even further out if it were to become necessary, do to roving gangs expanding their territory (SHTF scenario)
    I'm inclined to go with the Travois as way to pack more goods and if your in town and own a dog you might want to train him to pull one as well, like the Indians did.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

if you own a horse you might get him comfortable pulling one as well

all else fails make one for yourself that can attach to your wast I would suggest out of two long shovel handles crossed by Axe handles to maximize the use of weight and usable items the heads are stored in bags on the travois to be assembled later, granted this is only for the most serious SHTF senerio where you know your going to have to make a new life elsewhere.
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero
    (106 BC - 43 BC)

Back on the subject of shovels,well when I was in the Marines we always had our shovels even on our running packs.Not only are they a tool for survival and basic bivouacing,but they make an effective weapon when the shtf and ammo is gone.They also make a great antenna for comm,hammer for tent stakes and they do work as a light chopping implement but for heavy work I would leave that to the hatchet or ax.A quality folding shovel does make your life easier in all kinds of ways, it's ways are too many to list here.And by the way the mention of working dogs is great,they all should be tought how to carry a vest with pockets or a kevlar vest for gettin hogs,they are an effective tool for survival in many ways.Protection,alarm and working for you and themselves,I have seen my dogs actually get excited about going for a walk carrying water and food on there backs so if you have em train em,the are an effective SHTF item because they have even more uses than a shovel.They might even carry it for you for a hunk of jerky.

I do not carry a folding shovel unless I'm gold panning (read as wasting time). If I was in the desert, I would happily switch out larger edged tools for a folding shovel so I can dig down to cooler earth and make solar stills.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

IMHO a shovel is just another item in a big picture of need, use, weight to be carried.

There is no right or wrong, just personnel preferences of what you want to tote.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Horseman View Post
    my answer would be depends on the situation.
    I've given a lot of thought to this concept of a bug out bag, most consider it to be a bag with all you need to survive for up to three days, not very relevant where I live, considering I'm already way out in the bush.

I'm not one to reinvent the wheel so I tend to think in terms of what could help me to get even further out if it were to become necessary, do to roving gangs expanding their territory (SHTF scenario)
    I'm inclined to go with the Travois as way to pack more goods and if your in town and own a dog you might want to train him to pull one as well, like the Indians did.

if you own a horse you might get him comfortable pulling one as well

all else fails make one for yourself that can attach to your wast I would suggest out of two long shovel handles crossed by Axe handles to maximize the use of weight and usable items the heads are stored in bags on the travois to be assembled later, granted this is only for the most serious SHTF senerio where you know your going to have to make a new life elsewhere.
    Horseman, I have had the same thoughts on how to get more stuff into the woods, and since I dont have a horse, I would use something else. I was in my shed yesterday and saw my Gorilla cart. I though, you know that thing would be perfect to load up and take extra stuff into the woods if the SHTF. It has all terrain wheels, it is narrow, and will haul 300 lbs if needed. No way I would try to pull 300 lbs, but 80 lbs or so would be fairly easy.
    I think it has potential!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200512926_200512926?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Grounds%20Maintenance-_-Wagons%20%2B%20Yard%20Carts-_-24238&ci_sku=24238&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

IMHO a shovel is just another item in a big picture of need, use, weight to be carried.

There is no right or wrong, just personnel preferences of what you want to tote.
    Yeah Hunter. It's all a bit confusing outside certain parameters.
    If I was off to homestead somewhere I'd need 3 real full-sized shovels.
    On a typical overnight outing here, no.
    On a 3 day here, no.
    If I have to run from zombies, no.
    Taking the family camping, yes a folding shovel would be helpful here.
    Military operations against bandits and Red Dawn scenarios here, no.
    Military operations against bandits and Red Dawn scenarios in a place where digging is possible, like Ft Benning or kansas, yes.

The OP asks "So do you guys carry a shovel? " And I incur, since he is talking about his BOB, that the question was directed at "Do you carry a shovel in your 3 day/bob/GHB?"

No was my answer.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

LOL, pretty much my point....at least it wasn't "What is the best Survival BOB shovel".....Though that might be a welcome change for the knife thing.

I you are gonna do any digging, a for real full size shovel, with long handle is in order....under most conditions.

I used to hear, "You can tell a lot about a man by how many shovels he has worn out".....But that might mean,... Hard worker?......or to stupid to go get a back hoe"

1. Why limit your BOB to 3 days? If my house is hit by a tornado I'm probably going to be out of it more than 3 days. Same with a fire.
    2. they make an effective weapon when the shtf and ammo is gone.- So do my feet as in running in the opposite direction.
    They also make a great hammer for tent stakes. - I bought a rock for that.
    3. It has all terrain wheels, it is narrow, and will haul 300 lbs if needed. - Have you ever tried to pull or push 300 lbs across soft ground? I'm trying to figure out how to take LESS stuff to the woods.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

,... Hard worker?......or to stupid to go get a back hoe"
    or maybe just to darn cheap?
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    or maybe just to darn cheap?
    Training for UFC?