Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a folding shovel worth the weight?

Default Is a folding shovel worth the weight?

I pretty much have the essentials in my Bob, and so far it is not too heavy to pack all day. But lately I have been thinking about a folding shovel. But even the folding ones would have to weigh at least 1 1/2 pounds, and you know as well as I that weight adds up quick in a BOB.
    So far I have never failed to find other ways to dig, but then again I have never had to dig a lot. I am thinking that if I did get a shovel, It would have to replace something else to be worth the weight. I do carry a hatchet, and I have used it to loosen up soil for digging, but it dulls it pretty fast, and I am not sure I would give up my hatchet for anyhting.
    So do you guys carry a shovel?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I pretty much have the essentials in my Bob, and so far it is not too heavy to pack all day. But lately I have been thinking about a folding shovel. But even the folding ones would have to weigh at least 1 1/2 pounds, and you know as well as I that weight adds up quick in a BOB.
    So far I have never failed to find other ways to dig, but then again I have never had to dig a lot. I am thinking that if I did get a shovel, It would have to replace something else to be worth the weight. I do carry a hatchet, and I have used it to loosen up soil for digging, but it dulls it pretty fast, and I am not sure I would give up my hatchet for anyhting.
    So do you guys carry a shovel?
    Kinda sorta looks like you already know the answer.

As for the do I carry part of your post......sometimes I'll carry a trowel.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't...... unless I planning on digging something.

Thinking about it, I have never carried a shovel since Boy Scout days...and that was for latrine duty and fire pits...one per group.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I don't...... unless I planning on digging something.

Thinking about it, I have never carried a shovel since Boy Scout days...and that was for latrine duty and fire pits...one per group.
    Well I aint diggin no latrines, so I guess I really dont need one! Some people I have talked to said they sharpened the edges and their shovels chopped wood as good as a hatchet, but I find that hard to beleive. And how long before it breaks and becomes useless?

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

shovels are for digging. chopping roots with them is acceptable, but don't really think I'd go trying to chop down a tree with my e-tool. I saw on here (I think Alaskan Survivalist) made a pouch that attaches outside for carrying his e-tool. Don't abuse tools you are depending on.
    I carry one to camp, but don't have it attached to my bob. Mostly it rides around in the back of the truck for latrine duty at work. Should I have to leave the truck with my bob, I will be grabbing my shovel AND hatchet.
    Each to his own I guess?

I always have one of these when I camp. They're strong, light and even have a hollow handle you can stash a lighter or something in and they cost a whole $0.99 !
    In the Garden dept. of Walmart, even Kmart has them.
    Keep a shovel in the trunk.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-NY...rowel/16930220

shovel back of truck

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I thought that digging holes and chopping rocks was what everyone carried a big ole survival knife for! The old "gotta do what you gotta do" thing and "a really good knife will still be sharp enough to shave a monkey's butt after the foxhole is dug".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You, sir, are a true pioneer. A few questions if I may. Where do you find a monkey? How do you get it to hold still long enough to shave it's butt? Can you just bend the monkey over your knee and shave away? How does the monkey act when you splash on the aftershave? Do monkeys with shaved butts experience peer ridicule? (I never have but the hong pretty much requires a shaved butt). What do you do if the monkey enjoys a shaved butt a little too much? Can a monkey be taught to shave your butt? So many questions, so little time.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Got any pics?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I thought that digging holes and chopping rocks was what everyone carried a big ole survival knife for! The old "gotta do what you gotta do" thing and "a really good knife will still be sharp enough to shave a monkey's butt after the foxhole is dug".
    I haven't put in my order for a crashblade yet!

Why am I not surprised that it's Rick who has all these questions?
    I was reading them out loud to Mr. B, laughing hard with tears in my eyes while Mr. B looked on concerned. I said, you have to know these people...

Ha, you guys are the thread jackinist monkeys I have ever known, or is that monkies, or monkees

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by socom2173 View Post
    I always have one of these when I camp. They're strong, light and even have a hollow handle you can stash a lighter or something in and they cost a whole $0.99 !
    In the Garden dept. of Walmart, even Kmart has them.
    Keep a shovel in the trunk.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-NY...rowel/16930220
    Thanks Socom, now that is a great idea! At least I got 1 usable answer out of this thread

I used to carry a garden adz, that was for a few reasons. Ginseng season, foraging for roots and tubers, and somewhat of local need for cutting "steps" up highwall faces.

I have replaced it with a Spike Hawk, much more versatile. Here's Bear Dog giving it a whirl.

And the score

"They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

The real question for you to answer is what do you intend to use it for. Yeah, I know dig holes but what for? Once you define the use then you can find the proper tool to use if you really have a need.

I carry a small spade for cat holes but I'm just a neat freak.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You, sir, are a true pioneer. A few questions if I may. Where do you find a monkey? How do you get it to hold still long enough to shave it's butt? Can you just bend the monkey over your knee and shave away? How does the monkey act when you splash on the aftershave? Do monkeys with shaved butts experience peer ridicule? (I never have but the hong pretty much requires a shaved butt). What do you do if the monkey enjoys a shaved butt a little too much? Can a monkey be taught to shave your butt? So many questions, so little time.
    Have seen this in the check out lanes........
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ant..._Personal_Care
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Thanks Socom, now that is a great idea! At least I got 1 usable answer out of this thread
    Too bad you forgot to read all of post #2.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That anti monkey butt is for after you shave a monkey butt. It'll make it as smooth as a baby monkey's butt.

On a serious note to the hijack;

Use "Udderly Smooth" or "Udder Butter" for monkey butt. I know monkey butt. That's the first time I have publicly confessed that.

I feel.......liberated.......and unmonkey butted.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite