Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learning to track back - Got tips?

Count your blessings.

One denizen's opinion:

The more time one spends in the outdoors of his/her area, the easier it becomes to figure out where North is, and to plot one's return trip accordingly.

The operative phrase, of course, is "of his/her area". I grew up roaming the woods and swamps of the southeastern United States, to the point it was almost impossible for me to get lost -as opposed to "momentarily confused". This held true as long as I remained - generally - in areas with the same or similar longitude. When I moved to SoCal in 1988, it took me about 5 years - until the mid 1990's - to adjust my thinking and "locational awareness". [Old compass deviation = about 2 degrees, whereas new deviation = about 15 degrees.And yes, it affected my 'internal compass' too...]

Prior Proper Planning Prevents P*ss-Poor Performance. Now, with that said,

(1) Get a topo map of the area where you'll be,

(2) Identify key North-South (more-or-less), and East-West (more-or-less), "baselines" (could be roads, or power lines, or rivers/streams, or simply an imaginary line drawn between two major & easily visible terrain features...),

(3) When entering the woods, know where you are in relation to said baselines.

(4) During your roamings, pay attention to whether you have crossed one or more of the baselines,

(5) When ready to return, simply check or visualise your position in relation to the "baselines", and plot your course accordingly.

Please note that I have significantly simplified these guidelines.

Regards to all,

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-19-2012 at 04:16 PM.

I've never been lost although my teepee has been lost for a spell.

That teepee must be kin to my truck.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Note to self: never go camping with Rick
    Very Astute

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    leaning sticks against the trees helps if you are distracted and your nose is to the ground.
    THATS WHAT I WAS LOOKIN FOR!.... humor not so much ... and you all thought it was a stupid question, Not.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    One denizen's opinion:

The more time one spends in the outdoors of his/her area, the easier it becomes to figure out where North is, and to plot one's return trip accordingly.

The operative phrase, of course, is "of his/her area". I grew up roaming the woods and swamps of the southeastern United States, to the point it was almost impossible for me to get lost -as opposed to "momentarily confused". This held true as long as I remained - generally - in areas with the same or similar longitude. When I moved to SoCal in 1988, it took me about 5 years - until the mid 1990's - to adjust my thinking and "locational awareness". [Old compass deviation = about 2 degrees, whereas new deviation = about 15 degrees.And yes, it affected my 'internal compass' too...] Mee Too.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents P*ss-Poor Performance. Now, with that said,

(1) Get a topo map of the area where you'll be,

(2) Identify key North-South (more-or-less), and East-West (more-or-less), "baselines" (could be roads, or power lines, or rivers/streams, or simply an imaginary line drawn between two major & easily visible terrain features...),

(3) When entering the woods, know where you are in relation to said baselines.

(4) During your roamings, pay attention to whether you have crossed one or more of the baselines,

(5) When ready to return, simply check or visualise your position in relation to the "baselines", and plot your course accordingly.

Please note that I have significantly simplified these guidelines.

Regards to all,

-- Nighteyes
    Well that is cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That teepee must be kin to my truck.
    Note to self: never go camping with Rick! or eat donuts, or talk about solar, or back track in deep woods, or sleep in the back of the truck....
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Hmmmpf. Just leaves more doughnuts for me anyway! So nanny nanny boo boo.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

There ya go WOO, the real Rick. We call him "bad" Rick. LOL

You can't handle the bad Rick. Son, we live in a world that has ban buttons. And those ban buttons have to be guarded by men with thumbs. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Mr. Randyt? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for spammers and you curse the mods. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that a spammer's death, while tragic, probably saved band width. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves band width...You don't want to see the bad Rick. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that ban button. You need me on that ban button.

In real life Rick is Dirty Harry Callahan or so it seems.

What?! No.....Col. Jessup (Jack Nickolson). You just ruined a great moment in history.

Other moments randy has messed up.

Ponce de' Leon: I proudly claim Florida for Spain.
    Randy turning map over: Would you look at that? Sir, we're in Cuba.
    Ponce de' Leon: (Head slap)

General Dwight Eisenhower: "June 6, 1944. This date will be remember for the invasion of Europe!"
    Randy turning map over: Would you look at that? Sir, we're invading Ireland."
    Gen. Eisenhower: (Head slap)

Gen. Custer: "You're certain there are no Indians near the Little Bighorn."
    Randy: "Not according to the map......OOops......"

aw shucks it's bad randy again. actually it wasn't cuba it was michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What?! No.....Col. Jessup (Jack Nickolson). You just ruined a great moment in history.

General Dwight Eisenhower: "June 6, 1944. This date will be remember for the invasion of Europe!"
    Er... um... uh...

That should be June 6, 1944, Rick. The 1941 date would have been before the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.

Don't know whether it's Randy or you, Rick, but SOMEBODY's gotten all turned around in the space-time continuum. And, as any Trekkie will tell you, that's a major no-no...
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-23-2012 at 03:47 PM.

I confess, it was Rick.

Sir, I have no idea what you are referring to. If you are insinuating that an Admin might be wrong I laugh at the idea and would direct you back to the posts for further clarification. Mods and Admins are never wrong......for long.

In regards to the original question. I watch my back trail to see if I'm being followed and pay attention to prominent landmarks in the process.

wrong, I shudder at the thought. Not one of the chosen.

Poke Poke Poking is good fun... No harm done Rick ... We can still talk about solar....

And does Randy walk backwards when back tracking? see #55 inquiring minds...
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-24-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I have eyes on the back of my haid LOL

This is for you Randy. You are even mentioned by name (chuckle)

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2686370

Ya know what they say about a fella with big feet?............................................. .they wear big shoes LOL