Thread: Time for a little adventure.

Default Time for a little adventure.

Well, seems as though it might be time for a little prepping for a bigger journey ahead.

I'm gonna go this weekend for a couple days nothing big, in the woods to practice some of the skills I've read about. I'll bring a 2 day food supply, a pot for boiling water/snow, knife, hatchet, snare wire, of course ciggarettes and a lighter lol, and hopefully I get paid enough to get a camera so I can bring back a few pictures for you guys.

My objective is simply this. To gain a little experience in being outdoors and practice a few skills I've read about. This is not a, "procured from land" trial, as I will be bringing tools this time around. On return I hope to have successfully accomplished the following; snare a rabbit, cook and eat em, make a fire with a bow, make some cordage, build a shelter, make a stone knife (if I can find some good stone, I'm not too familiar with the land I scoped).

Once I snare a rabbit with wire, maybe then I'll try using only cordage, might as well call this run a camping trip with some survival activities. As I said, nothing big. This is my first time out there in the wilderness alone since I was a kid after all. (And even then the longest I was out there alone was 12-16 hours)

Wish me luck!

Good luck. Looking forward to the pictures and your report.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Don't forget to follow game laws. That could be an expensive rabbit. Good luck.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Land of a thousand lakes Northern Horseman's Avatar
    The geographical center of British Columbia

Sounds like a great trip your lucky I'm still under three feet of snow and this is a mild year for snow.
    If you do get lucky enough to catch that rascally rabbit just remember to cook it very well, as rabbits and most small game can have some nasty parasites, any grouse or pheasants in your area?
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero
    (106 BC - 43 BC)

I would include a tarp/covering and a wool blanket at least. It gets cold out there even if you have experience; if you don't need to use but got it, its still there for you.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

good luck and be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Horseman View Post
    Sounds like a great trip your lucky I'm still under three feet of snow and this is a mild year for snow.
    If you do get lucky enough to catch that rascally rabbit just remember to cook it very well, as rabbits and most small game can have some nasty parasites, any grouse or pheasants in your area?
    Not sure about grout, or even what they look like lol, but I seen a pheasant crossing the road the other day actually. Never thought about that actually. Hope I catch one, I heard they're good eats!

And Rick, I think that might be a good idea, game laws, thanks for the reminder. It's easy for an in-experienced guy like me to forget about the red tape.

good luck & enjoy

Land of a thousand lakes Northern Horseman's Avatar
    The geographical center of British Columbia

I think you read wrong my friend, thats grouse not Grout depending on your area it might be Spruce Grouse to be exact
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum. maybe even Ruffed Grouse?
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero
    (106 BC - 43 BC)

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyadam View Post
    Well, seems as though it might be time for a little prepping for a bigger journey ahead.

I'm gonna go this weekend for a couple days nothing big, in the woods to practice some of the skills I've read about. I'll bring a 2 day food supply, a pot for boiling water/snow, knife, hatchet, snare wire, of course ciggarettes and a lighter lol, and hopefully I get paid enough to get a camera so I can bring back a few pictures for you guys.

My objective is simply this. To gain a little experience in being outdoors and practice a few skills I've read about. This is not a, "procured from land" trial, as I will be bringing tools this time around. On return I hope to have successfully accomplished the following; snare a rabbit, cook and eat em, make a fire with a bow, make some cordage, build a shelter, make a stone knife (if I can find some good stone, I'm not too familiar with the land I scoped).

Once I snare a rabbit with wire, maybe then I'll try using only cordage, might as well call this run a camping trip with some survival activities. As I said, nothing big. This is my first time out there in the wilderness alone since I was a kid after all. (And even then the longest I was out there alone was 12-16 hours)

Wish me luck!
    Take a .22 rifle in case the snare dont work, and those grouts are mean so you may need protection!

Sounds like a lot of fun. This is the best way to gain knowledge. I guarantee you figure out a few things you can add/delete from your gear. I am in the process of getting a family of 5 ready for such an event...and many thereafter. I love getting out. I'm in for pictures as well! Stay safe!

Yeah it wont be too long before I camp on the back 40 for a week or 2! It is nice to have a place to camp and never have to leave the farm.

You're going to have a great deal of fun.

More like....hope you had a great deal of fun.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Remember..... The PITA of today, will make great remembered fun tomorrow......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

We need a trip update!

Ha-hooooo! Are you there? Any updates?
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

Hey guys sorry I've been away so long. I got lost in the woods for 2 whole weeks!

More like switched to a different crew on the rigs working 16 hours a day lol. The downside I haven't yet been able to go on this trip, and have no clue when I will be able to. The upsides, I learned how to live without doing laundry for quite a bit, and have more experience in dealing with fatigue, stress, hunger, and cold. Lol

So yea, anyway I feel bad about letting you guys down, so instead of planning a trip next time I'll just be spontaneous and come back with a blog of "already been" with pics if I ever get time.

I guess the other bright side of this is tht I have a financial knock-off list before the big trip and I'm getting there faster so...

ZZZzzzzzz......