Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage Model 42 .22/410 O/U

22/410 is a great game getter,but when it comes to defens against predators like bear or hunting big deers or moose it isen't enough. once i had a savage 3030/12 gauge and it was a nice gun. i sold it because the locking spring broke.20 gauge+3030 or 357mag makes a good survival gun too.now i have 2 survival guns a m6 springfield 22/410 and an austerian made combo 20 ga/222 rem. i feel 222 ruins a lot of edible meat at short range,but a sure killer at 100yds+ on games upp and inccluding roe deer and 20 ga loaded with brenneke slug is good defens load against predators.
    all the best
    danny
    Last edited by dannyP; 10-06-2013 at 02:58 AM.

dannyp, Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is an intro section at:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

I had one of those 30-30/12 ga in my hands once...that was a heavy gun....never got a chance to shoot it.

Problem with combination guns is simply, they do a lot of things, but not very well at any one thing.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Chiappa, the makers of the rhino revolver have a "little badger(22cal)" and "double badger (22/.410)" youth rifles, the price for the 22 is 160 dollars new and it is small, but for a survival rifle that's the idea. all I have seen are good reviews on accuracy and dependability. the only problem I have never seen one for sale they sell out fast and I couldn't find the price for the double badger anywhere, but I have not tried a gun show in awhile. My research for a small 22 lead me to the ruger 10/22 takedown, got it for around 380 nib, and it shoots great as well.
    "Big, f***-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. $h!t 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro."

Here's one on the Double Badger. $320.82

http://laymansgunshop.com/product.ch...er-rifle-22410
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ugly or not, I have a savage o/u in .222 and 20 guage, and I love mine, back then I paid around $100 for it. Still use it to. Have taken deer, turkey, grouse, coyotes and a few rabbits with it.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by JRLG View Post
    Chiappa, the makers of the rhino revolver have a "little badger(22cal)" and "double badger (22/.410)" youth rifles, the price for the 22 is 160 dollars new and it is small, but for a survival rifle that's the idea. all I have seen are good reviews on accuracy and dependability. the only problem I have never seen one for sale they sell out fast and I couldn't find the price for the double badger anywhere, but I have not tried a gun show in awhile. My research for a small 22 lead me to the ruger 10/22 takedown, got it for around 380 nib, and it shoots great as well.
    I was introduced to one of these about a month ago. I looked and looked but no one around here carries them. I only found one dealer willing to tell me a lot and that was that he has had 12 on order since the beginning of the year and has not seen ANY YET!?

Well just before I gave up, a good friend called me up and said he had found some!! So I have a 22magnum on order and should see it next week.

I have wanted a 22/410 savage since I knew what one was. To my mind what could be a better small game gun? Well about ten years back after turning down gun after gun that was too beat up or too costly. I bit the bullet and bought one off gunbroker. It is the nicest one condition wise I have seen with about 80% case colors on the receiver and nice bluing. Its a great shooter too with slugs printing just a bit lo from the sites.

I briefly looked at the new 42, because of its availability in 22 magnum. (My favorite as you guys will learn ) but its cost and feel left me flat.

I had a line on a older Savage 24 in 22M/20g. But after almost a year of speaking with the owner he is now ''to busy'' to fool with it.

CW