Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Model 42 .22/410 O/U

Default Savage Model 42 .22/410 O/U

Looks like Savage is indeed bringing back an old favorite....Kinda.

Savage Model 42....22/410 O/U.....(In a previous life model 24)

Butte ugly, looks like only in .22/410 configuration, composites, and @ about $450 msp maybe a little pricey?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/?new=yes

About 1/2 way down the page.
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-23-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The reason they quit making them in the first place was that they priced themselves out of the market. Same for the Springfield O/U.

$450 is absurd for what they are offering! It simply is not a $450 gun.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I bought a used Stevens 22-410 OU back in the early 90's. I really like it when I'm out looking for those bushy tails. I have seen some 22-410 OU at some gun shows I have been to lately and got to tell you. For the price they should be gold plated.(well maybe silver) A old Stevens like mine at one of the recent shows had a asking price of $450.(if I remember that's $250 more then I paid for mine) Only thing I don't like about mine is the plastic stock. Other then that I think it's a better looking gun then this new Savage.IMO

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

All I know is that the over under in .22 / .410 is probably one of the best survival guns you could ever want, but $450?????
    I think I will try to do without one for a while with that kind of price!

That is MSRP. Check your favorite firearm on the dealer site and you'll find that you can find the gun much cheaper at a local gun store or gun show. This will more than likely go for less than $400 and even less in a year or so when they show up on the used market. I'll be looking for one for sure!

For that price just buy the two guns .410 single and a semiauto .22 you'll come out under 400.00
    I still have my 410 bolt action and a single shot 22 I got when I was 8 and they work fine.Just bought a second hand 22 and 410 for my youngest and only spent 200 so maybe it's worth it to some just like 1200.00 for a 30/30 ,they only discontinue so nestalgia gets it's hooks into you that is all.Worked for a gunmaker for a little while.
    Last edited by wholsomback; 02-23-2012 at 04:36 AM.

If you can find anything cheaper at a gun show let me know. The last several I've been to were selling gold plated everything. At least they were priced that way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Toooooo much

I have found a 22/410 for 300.00, a 22/20 ga for 350.00 and a 30-30/12 ga for 500.00 I didn't buy any of them too much money, the price should be about 250.00 to 275.00 but they are a rare find.

I guess it just boils down to,.........How bad do you want one.....No matter what it is.
    Wishing guns or anything else including gasoline at 1975 prices and is not in the plan.

So for those that maybe like something, at "the right price"....It becomes more about the hunt, for the deal.....If you really want something, then it's only money.

Amen Hunter, I hate to say it but I guess I don't really need anymore guns???? You can carry only so many if I had to bug out I would have a good project just to get every thing loaded into the truck. I'm starting to get too old for this stuff anyway.

You hit it right on the head,you can only use em with your two hands so choice to bug out is limited by what is practical .

Quote Originally Posted by wholsomback View Post
    You hit it right on the head,you can only use em with your two hands so choice to bug out is limited by what is practical .
    Yeah.....But...

i had a 24D for years got it as a 14yr old they were fantastic for hunting small game, they looked good and shot well , sort of looks like they are trying to get into the blackgun , zombie killer class, at 450.00 , ouch to many other choices out there in that range

I would like to have just not at that price

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I understand that Savage will be bringing the Model 42 out this summer in 22 Mag/20 gauge. I will want to take a close look at it then. Wish I could afford a used Model 24 in 22 mag/20 ga. I think they look muck nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor View Post
    I understand that Savage will be bringing the Model 42 out this summer in 22 Mag/20 gauge. I will want to take a close look at it then. Wish I could afford a used Model 24 in 22 mag/20 ga. I think they look muck nicer.
    That was the subject of this thread to start with.......

Quote>

Looks like Savage is indeed bringing back an old favorite....Kinda.

Savage Model 42....22/410 O/U.....(In a previous life model 24)

Butte ugly, looks like only in .22/410 configuration, composites, and @ about $450 msp maybe a little pricey?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/?new=yes

About 1/2 way down the page.
    <Quote

Blog Entries

This is one firearm that I'm totally unfamiliar with. Will the 410 accommodate a .45?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    This is one firearm that I'm totally unfamiliar with. Will the 410 accommodate a .45?
    No, this .410 is just that.
    There are some out there that can be used either way, but this isn't one of them, sadly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    No, this .410 is just that.
    There are some out there that can be used either way, but this isn't one of them, sadly.
    Awww, RATS! Thanks for the answer, my friend!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

DO NOT waste your money on the new 42, believe me, I scrimped and saved and paid just under 400 for mine. It is very light weight(pro) multi caliber(pro) . Con's the sights are impossible to use in wooded environments, the 410 barrel is cyl. bore which means no chance of hits unless critter is a snake at your feet. I was sooo disappointed with it I have already taken a hit and traded it off. H&R 410 single and a T53 in 7.62X 54R.