Thread: Hand Drill Pressure Problem

Default Hand Drill Pressure Problem

Hello again,

I managed to start a fire using the Bow Drill method ( And even with yucca leaves, special thanks to flatlander88)

Then I wanted to do something more simple and faster like the hand drill method.

I did make it work but only with another person pushing down with a rock ( Kinda like the bow drill method without the bow)

I was wondering if there is a way to get more pressure w/o a second pressure but with the use of a rock or smth..

Thank you in advance!

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just Practice, it will come. Thumb loops are a good way to gain confidence that hand drill is reliable, but don't get stuck on training wheels....
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Worked really well and I am starting to get the hang of it even without them !

Once again thank you, u made my day

Quote Originally Posted by AlexKara View Post
    Hello again,

I managed to start a fire using the Bow Drill method ( And even with yucca leaves, special thanks to flatlander88)

Then I wanted to do something more simple and faster like the hand drill method.

I did make it work but only with another person pushing down with a rock ( Kinda like the bow drill method without the bow)

I was wondering if there is a way to get more pressure w/o a second pressure but with the use of a rock or smth..

Thank you in advance!
    Anytime Best of luck on the hand drill!
    "You are not good enough now, and you never will be, to not die in this sport."

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Think of the thumb loops as training wheels. It takes a long time to build up the endurance and callouses to do it consistently. The better the materials, the easier it is, but really, until you really get the hang of the motions, the thumb strap will go a long way, and it's portable.
    It's the only way I can get some less-ideal materials to reach ignition...