Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is primitive jerky (dried) safe?

I try not to carry jerky because of the jerky squatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Q-hVJiv_E

You guys lost me with the mold talk lol
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Well I did the rabbit jerky in my oven and I am ticked! I only did three rabbits and should have done the whole half dozen...the jerky was killer but barely filled a single ziplock...Need more and bigger rabbits next time. For any interested I used worsteschire, garlic powder, garden fresh cayenne, sea salt, mesquite liquid smoke and southern comfort to marinade it overnight. It took less time than I expected to dry but it was my first attempt at oven drying.

D.O.M.

What?! You wasted SC on jerky. Oh the humanity!

It's kind of amazing how little is left of stuff when you remove the water. I'm glad it turned out good.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The splash of SoCo was not enough for a good drink but did add a bit of sweet to all the sharp. I prefer Jack single barrel as a sipper. Wish I had the teeth I had when I was younger, I'd enjoy jerkey more and make it more often...lol
    D.O.M.

You can borrow my teeth if it will help. You can chew for a while and I'll chew for a while. Neither of us will get too tired that way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Afraid I would too but thanks for the generous offer...LOL I think I'll just let it soften a bit and chew slowly...got a few left.

D.O.M.

Well if you're gonna throw up you ain't usin' my teeth.

Default Am i in the right place??

so this is my first post ever on this site so bear with me
    I am a montana native born in 1991 and have hunted and fished all over this state and have made plenty of jerky from plenty of delicious critters and have yet to find someone to teach me to make pemmican. I know it requires an amount of dried or smoked meat and about half that amount of animal fat but from there I am lost. If this is in another forum i apoplogize but seemed like a great place as any to start!

Quote Originally Posted by waytoomedicated View Post
    so this is my first post ever on this site so bear with me
    I am a montana native born in 1991 and have hunted and fished all over this state and have made plenty of jerky from plenty of delicious critters and have yet to find someone to teach me to make pemmican. I know it requires an amount of dried or smoked meat and about half that amount of animal fat but from there I am lost. If this is in another forum i apoplogize but seemed like a great place as any to start!
    This may help.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...light=pemmican

groovy!! thank you very much Eastree!

Hey!

Just came home from weekend camping trip with friends where we among other things dried some meat and i just wanted to shrae some photos:

We build a small tripod and lashed it with Together Pine roots.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The tripod was coverd with Fern at all times.

Well those are the only photos i've got

Hope you enjoyed it.

Well done. When should we all expect our samples to arrive?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Doubt this will last will last till i get to post office

I've been making jerky for decades now. Never had a single batch even get moldy, much less try to kill me with bacteria or other nasties. I know that the USDA, CDC and every one of the various government agencies now swear to you on their grandmothers' eyeballs that if you don't fully cook meat, the pathogens inside will stay around and likely kill you. I don't doubt that somewhere, somehow, that has happened before. BUT, I can tell you that primitive cultures have been hanging and drying meat, without modern protections, for hundreds of thousands of years, and the species has survived. I can tell you that the Mongols and Tartars used to put raw meat under their SADDLES for days or weeks at a time, with NO protection, to tenderize it before eating it (hense "steak Tartar"). I can tell you that as polluted as FISH are with worms and parasites, people to this day eat tons of jerked, dried, and smoked salmon and trout without dying, and judging by the SUSHI craze that still persists since the 90's, people eat RAW FISH all the time and still don't die from parasites (well, mostly!). I have used the machines to dry meat and it worked well enough. I have dried jerky in a gas oven with only the pilot light and it turned out ok too. I usually actually brine and season the thinest strips I can make and smoke the crap out of them in my smokehouse, drying them the way our ancestors did before electricity. If it is good enough for bacon or hams, it's good enough for beef or venison, I think. As far as I know, the pathogens and parasites they are worried about can't survive the low moisture environment created by the jerking process. It has nothing to do with heat, it has everything to do with drying the buggers out so they can't maintain cell integrity. Bugs, eggs, microbes, etc. all need water to live, and if you dry them out, they pretty much all die (yeast being an exception to that rule, obviously).
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

The problem comes from incomplete drying.

Heh, patience will be rewarded. Never rush perfection.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

I keep telling my wife that and she keeps nagging at me to get stuff done.

I have approx 3 oz left from 4lbs of jerk Montana bison meat sent to me 3 years ago,still fine just a tad bit more chewy.