Thread: Hello from Manitoba

Default Hello from Manitoba

Hello ! I just found this forum via a search on wildcrafting . I'm Rox from MB. Canada .
    I'm partner to Bob soon to be 29 yrs together . We've 6 childrn ( 4 whom are now adults ) and one grandchild 5yo .
    We both are from the country but somehow got stuck in the city the las 20 yrs . We recently purchased 160acres backing onto Belair prov. forest near my ancestral home around the eastern shores of lake Winnipeg . I am a wildcrafter & Bob is a farmer at heart and it is our goal to have a small sustainable family farm .
    Our land was previously a homestead of a local family . They sold it to a city fellow who harvested much of the old growth poplar & spruce . Luckily he left all the oak, birch and some spruce untouched . we are going to receive trees this spring via the forestry service to re-establish certain varieties of tree. So our land is a balance of farm and forest .
    I usually go out to my Mother's home come May and stay til mid Oct. We homschool so this is why it is possble for us to go off wildcrafting etc.
    We have two boys at home still and our ds16 is very much a bushman he has taken wilderness survival course last yr and has attended many wildcrafting type workshops . We are signed up again for survival , hide tanning natural method & wild edible courses this yr . ds16 is also an avid mushroom hunter !
    Our ds11 is like his Mum , he walks gently on the forest floor and we both very much love gardening . I am very much a wild gardener and interested in ethno botany and Indigenous gardening .
    Currently we have no buildig on our land and do not have funds to have a home built . We are lookng to use as many materials from our property that we can . Which is mostly stone & log . We feel the urge to get this started as soon as possible as it is getting harder to return to the city each time we go out there .The Metis community is our home and where we belong . We just know and feel the city is no longer a home for us . We are currently looking t building a small cabin or purchasing an old trailer so we can camp out from ring til fall.We wish to begin an orchard and garden so need to be able to stay there to keep the wildlife out of those areas .
    So that is about it . I look forward to learning & sharing with others .
    Rox

Hunter63 saying, Hey, and welcome.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hello and welcome. I hope you have great success with your plans.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Welcome.......

Thanks for the welcome ☺

Welcome home and thank you for such a great introduction. While indigenous farming is a worthy goal you may need to incorporate more conventional means to create a sustainable farm. No till planting, plant rotation and companion planting are a few examples of more modern means that have significant advantages over indigenous planting. There are certainly some elements of indigenous planting that are good but to gain the best harvest at least be open to all the methods of planting then choose those that are right for you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

hello & welcome

hello and welcome from philippines. Come on in and set a spell.

Great intro. Lake Winnipeg is amazing. It's more of an inland sea. I camped on it, albeit in a town, but I camped 9th century except the bottled beer.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I didn't know they had cameras back then. Amazing.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It's a painting. The hard thing was to get all them fellas to stand still for that long.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome to the forum and good luck with all your plans.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.