Thread: .22 lr to .22 magnum conversion

Default .22 lr to .22 magnum conversion

Normally I wouldn't ask a question like this because I don't want it to fall into the mythical category. But somewhere in the pages of WSN I read about a S&W 17 that was reamed out to 22 mag from 22 lr. Anyhoo I've been thinking about doing the same to a remington 510 that I have.

Has this been done?

I'm thinking you could ream out the chamber, but you would still have to deal with the bore....222 vs .224, haven't been able to find a definitive answer for that one.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I don't know if that one be a issue or not. If I remember right a .22 wrf has a larger bullet dia than a 22 magnum bullet dia. I know of a few .22 lr firearms that were bored out to fire a .22wrf. I believe it's been done between a .22 lr and a .22 magnum. Then there's Art langfords myra extruder, starts out as a .22 lr and exits the barrel as a .17 caliber. I'm interested in the .22 lr to .22 magnum conversion though.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The .002 difference is not enough to be a concern. That variance is well within industry tolerance standards within a production run.

I have done the rechambering process from LR to magnum many times with continual success. One does not even need specialized equipment for the operation. A size D drill bit followed by a nice shiney new .250 reamer will do the job.

The easiest is a revolver. Long guns with recessed bolt faces often require more work and a slight tweeking of the firing pin spring for a heavier strike. you also need to insure that the lockup of the bolt is solid. I would not want to convert a rifle that does not have a good lug on the bolt and a strong bolt/receiver mating.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

thanks for the info Krat, not sure if I'll end up doing a conversion but have thought about it a time or two.

Hi All, I'm new to the group, and hoping I can learn some things here. I ran across your conversation , while researching a Rem 510/22mag conversion. I recently ran into a rust-bucket Rem 510 for $20, and after a weekends work, have restored it into a nice old rifle. Problem is, I already have a hand full of 22LR rifles, and really have no use for another one. I also have a huge coyote population here on the farm, and nothing really fit to shoot them with. I was thinking this old 510 might be the answer to that, if it were 22 Magnum. I often see them at 70-100 yards, sometimes closer. randyt, I was hoping to find out you had converted your 510, with excellent results, and would be willing to tell me about it. And kyratshooter, I am planning on buying the "D" drill bit, and .250 reamer, and doing the conversion myself in my shop. I was wondering what type of reamer you used exactly, and if there is any advice you can give me to assure I do the job properly. I'm no gunsmith, but I do have a well equipped shop, where I restore antique tractors, and in the process, sometimes do minor machine work myself. Any advice you guys can give me would be apprecitated.

Hey Brad! Why don't you work your way on over to the introductions section and tell us about yourself...

It sounds like you have a good plan, and good tools for the job, but I'd be cautious about doing the modifications yourself. Replacing individual parts of a firearm isn't too hazardous, but modifying the parts themselves can have very bad consequences if anything goes wrong. Perhaps monetarily it's not a concern since you spent so little on this rifle, but it's not worth losing an eye. That being said, if you are confident in your machining capability, and are careful, you might have an interesting project on your hands. IF you do go through with this, remember to not mess up the temper of the steel (important), and to do your first several test fires with the gun clamped to a bench, and firing remotely, in case anything nasty happens. Good luck!
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Normally I wouldn't ask a question like this because I don't want it to fall into the mythical category. But somewhere in the pages of WSN I read about a S&W 17 that was reamed out to 22 mag from 22 lr.

I did that with one of my 8 3/8" Model 17 If I had it two do over I would have only reamed out 5 of the 6 cylinders, leaving one .22LR for quietly tipping over grouse & hare. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=Reamed+.22LR
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-30-2013 at 01:13 AM.

SD I have never known the .22lr to cause a problem when fired from a mag. The case swells, occasionally splits, but I have never seen one cause a real problem.

If I found a Remington 510 for $20 I think I would consider it trade fodder for a Marlin .22 mag repeater and solve the whole issue the easy way.

I never did the conversion. I have a couple marlin bolt action 22 mags so I didn't see a pressing need.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    SD I have never known the .22lr to cause a problem when fired from a mag. The case swells, occasionally splits, but I have never seen one cause a real problem.

If I found a Remington 510 for $20 I think I would consider it trade fodder for a Marlin .22 mag repeater and solve the whole issue the easy way.
    It can depend on the gun though. My dad's AMT automag II doesn't like .22 lr. It will fire, but it doesn't have enough energy to fully cycle the action, so it becomes a single-shot pistol.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Thanks for the response randyt. I just bought a second barrel for mine tonight, off of a newer 512. I'm going to convert this one to 22 mag and leave the original alone. I can keep the 22 LR barrel on it most of the year for daily shooting, and use the 22 mag in the winter for coyotes. If I like it a lot, it may just stay on there.

Thanks for the response kyratshooter. I agree the most practical thing to do would be to just buy another rifle. I'm just a bit of a do-it-yourselfer, nothing I love more than to rescue old tractors and guns, and make something out of nothing. Just a hobby I suppose. Even with a closet full of semi-autos, I've gotten a bit partial to shooting this old remington. May be the most accurate rifle I personally have ever owned. Problem is, I won't be satisfied until I see if it shoots as well as a mag. I quit buying guns a long time ago, but if someone is giving one away, I just can't resist. And if I can make it a little better suited for my needs as a farm rifle, why not....

Remember that if the bolt face is recessed for the rim of the.22lr the .22 mag rim will not fit. You will have to strip the bolt an open th recess on a laythe. The Mag rim will also be in a different position in relation to the firing pin. Make sure the FP is wde enough to strike the priming compound.

Also remember that the .22 mag brass is almost twice as thick as .22lr and it takes a real lick from the firing pin to ignite it.

These are the reasons the easiest mod is a revolver, and why most of the convertables are SA revolvers. A cheap .22 revolver can be a 15 minute conversion job while a rifle might take two days.

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

awww gee wiz, see what you guys done did? LOL I decided to rechamber my 510 to 22 mag. I have a couple 510s and one of them was free.