Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A "Good Run"

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default A "Good Run"

Bouncing a thread off a couple of posts in another section:

What do you consider "dying too young"?

When my GG-dad was born life expectancy was 40. He made it to 107.

For my Grandad 48, he made it to 62.

For my Dad it was 56, and he saw 81.

They each beat the numbers.

Most of us grow up and mature expecting to live a long life. We also prep, study and practice survival skills with our "right to life" and instinct for survival in mind. Do we have a number in mind or do we expect to live forever.

Have you ever looked in the mirror and thought "If I don't wake up tomorrow it was a good run!"?

Some of us are dealing with issues that will shorten our lives without proper meds/treatments, or that limit our physical abilities. Some of us are working with replacement parts or rebuilt hardware that needs periodic maintainance.

How does, or has, aging/sickness/injury worked into your planning?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

103 at the hands of a jealous lover. Well, that's the plan. What is young is sort of relative I guess. The older I get the older that number gets. I had a very close friend get killed at 20. That was too young by any standard. Today, 60s seem a bit young to me. There was a time when it seemed quite old. So it's relative to your age.

You have to calculate in your meds/problems otherwise there's little use in planning.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

my great grandpa died at 88 yo. My grandpa died at 78 yo. My dad died at 68 yo. I'm not liking this pattern.

When life gets to hard its time for me to go. I have quit afew physical issues due to a car accident and as I age things are getting harder so I'm not sure I want to be 70.
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT

I have lived a rough life,and have the scars,and now the hardware to prove it,I still hurt everyday,I also was diagnosed with high blood pressure this past year,they beLIEve it could be from the pain..... eh, who knows...I quit smoking almost a year ago,and have been cleared by the doc to start exercising lower body and bicep curls only,but it's a start,gonna fight dyeing until my last breath.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Yea It's always that last breath that gets ya.
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT

Generally speaking, these days a good run would be 85+, IMO.
    We now know what can make a difference in living longer, healthier, independent lives. It's not a guarantee (I don't know what is, other than we'll all be dead sooner or later) but it puts the odds in your favor if you do what you're supposed to do.
    Kyrat is doing it. He is already reaping the benefits of feeling better day to day. IMO, feeling better day in and day out, gives you the freedom that instant gratification of bad habits doesn't. And living longer may just be a bonus.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I am ready to go. I have had a truly awesome life. I have worn this body out. I hope to be dead with-in five years. I have a ritual.....every morning when I get up to pee and put wood in the stove, I say thanks for being alive, then I say today will be a good day to die.

Default An honest question, SD.

Why would you feel that way at only 65? (I think)
    It isn't as though you're a vegetable or laying out hooked up to all sorts of machines, or in constant pain, (when I'd understand if you were raedy to check out) just the opposite.
    I can understand if you're at peace with death but why would you hope to be dead in 5 years?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Why would you feel that way at only 65? (I think)
    It isn't as though you're a vegetable or laying out hooked up to all sorts of machines, or in constant pain, (when I'd understand if you were raedy to check out) just the opposite.
    I can understand if you're at peace with death but why would you hope to be dead in 5 years?
    My mother owned a Nursing Home, and I would play checkers with the old men and talk to them about life. My life has been outdoors in the wilderness. I can tell that I am deteriorating physically. When I can't live the quality of life I want, I will be gone. I expect that by Oct. 2012 I will be living in "Senior" Housing.

I have 11 feet of snow, and buildings that I can't find or dig down to. Today I spent several hours digging down to a food storage building. Dec. of 2011 I was Grid Down 27 out of 31 days, most of December was below zero.

This is a hard life, this is a life for young men. This will for sure be the last winter I do it the way I have done it for 11 years.

My goal has been to live a life worth living, when I can no longer do that, I will leave. Yes I am 65 y/o and yes I am a tough old bird, but Alaska is tougher, and in the end she will kill the foolish.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 02-04-2012 at 08:12 PM.

I believe its the life you've lived not the length. My Pa beach lived to his eighties died in a hospital due to emphysema thinking my grandmother was going to kill him for being in a bar. He lived a full life made some mistakes and many numerous careers to either support his family or sow his oats. My other grandfather lived to be older and had a full life but was a harsh hard man that was fond of bourbon and other women served in WWII USMC Guadalcanal. I can go out tomorrow knowing I did the best for my family and stood for my values and those who couldn't. That being said I will do my damnedest to keep living to teach, and love my family the most and longest I can.
    "The sky's blue, water's wet, and sh&t happens." Bruce Willis The Last Boy Scout

"I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes. If you F*#& with me. I'll kill you all."
    USMC Gen. James Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders

SD, I'm sorry you feel it has to be all or nothing. You've been blessed to have led the life you chose that fulfilled you but surely that can't be all there is, after which you just whither on the vine? Why prep then? Why have 10 back ups to every back up and gazzilions of packs, and sardines and ramens? That says hope. And hope is wanting to live--not, wanting to live up to a certain age.
    We've made friends with a couple in their late 70s who we see once a year skiing in Utah, and they're better than we ever expect to be. We also have several women in their 80's in our yoga class thought by a teacher in her seventies.
    I know it's all relative...we all derive our happiness and strength from different things but I hope that you would keep an open mind to the new possibilities of what could give you joy. A senior housing will take some getting used to for sure, but it just might free you from the ever increasing challenges at home now to pursue something else you didn't feel like you could or even wanted before.

I have long life on both sides of my family. Dad 8 days short of his 96th birthday and Mom lived till her 93rd year. Both of them had parents,brothers and sisters that lived well into their 90's. In my early 20's I watched alot of young men die long before they should have. I really don't think about the end for me to much. I'm one of those that kinda looks at it like,"when it happens it happens". When I get up in the morning I just never think about it possibly being the last one. I ain't ready to go yet. However, if I do so be it. I've had a good life and still have a good life. He!! going to a gun show in the morning and fishing after that if the weather holds. Don't get much better.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Blog Entries

In my youth I worked and played hard, not that I thought so at the time. As a result I have broken most of my bones, some at least twice, compressed my spine and fractured my skull. I now have Arthritis, Sciatica, Epilepsy, calcified joints. I won't make old bones and that's Ok. I had a blast getting to where I am and if I'm called tomorrow I won't be worried. I wouldn't last past 3 months without meds and that's OK too. I've made peace with myself. Winnie jnr inherits my preps, and that to me is the best of all.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I don't see my problems as any more than a bump in the road. I'd be happy no matter what I'm doing because, in the end, that happiness is really a state of mind. Or as the old joke says, mind over matter. If you don't mind it doesn't matter and I don't mind. My name is written (I sure hope) some place in the big book and I know I won't make it one second past when I'm supposed to or leave one second earlier. I've lived a blessed life that I neither dreamed of nor deserved, IMO. So whatever the date and time I'm pretty happy to have been dealt the hand I have.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well woke up this morning....That was a good thing....don't like looking back, something might be gaining on me....rather make plans, and keep moving forward...just maybe not so fast these, bvut hey that's fine.

So far Good run, gotta say that....and would rather go peacefully in my sleep, not crying and screaming like all the others in my truck I'm driving......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I certainly hope it's past 70. My folks are getting up there, and I simply am not ready to start closing that door. I have way too much left in my own life to do. 70 wouldn't be enough time to accomplish it all. 85....now maybe 85.

I fell off of an 8 story building onto concrete when I was 17. I turned 18 in the hospital. I have had hundreds of stitches and broken bones in both arms and the left leg twice. Both hands and feet. Had teeth knocked out. Had me a couple of extra holes wheere they shouldn't ought to be.

I have severe spinal stenosis aggrivated by arthritus. My pain is a daily thing. But, I deal with it. I can have any prescription I want for pain killers according to my Orthopedic surgeon. I have 6 hydrocodone/apap 5mg/500mg pills left from my 30 pill prescription from March 2009.

The pain I once found a 10 is now my daily normal.

But, there are a lot of folks who would swap my pain in a heart beat. Friends who have passed from cancer or strokes.

I ain't been many places. I don't have much for wealth. But, I get to hug my kids and grand kids all the time. My parents are in thier late 60's. I visit once or twice a week with them. I let them know I love them so I don't have to repeat the story so many other people repeat about regretting not doing so.

My dad's uncle lived into his late 80's. I asked him what his biggest regret was and he said not hugging his wife and asking her how her day was. He spent the last 25 years of his life with out her and that was his one regret. Such a simple thing to avoid.

I'll be here kicking and screaming till something or someone checks me out.

I think I have had a good run even though I am only 55. I have many health problems that are going to take me out before I would maybe like to go but I have never wanted to be really old and a burden. I have two wonderful children a son 26 and a duaghter 21. They both have careers in the medical field and are doing well for themselves. I have a beatiful granddaughter that I have spoiled unmercifully. My husband and I have been compleminted many times about how good our children are and have been. What more of a legacy could I ask for. I have been married for almost 31 years and if that has not killed me then nothing will. That is a joke by the way, although there have been those moments. Every day has been pretty darn good and so wether I have one day left or many I think I can say that I will die happy. I like Rick hope that my name is writtem in the book.
    Last edited by BornthatWay; 02-08-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Not one second before He's ready for us and not one second longer. I'm pretty comfortable with that.