Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for the canning folk.

Blog Entries

Default A question for the canning folk.

I've had my shiny new Pressure Canner for a while now and have a question. How long does it normally take for a canner to a) reach purging temperature and b) reach processing pressure. It seems to take an inordinate amount of time to get to both for me and I just wondered whether my electric cooker was up to the job or if this is normal. Just to add, I get a good seal, and can keep the pressure where it should be once reached with some messing about. I can't leave it unattended though.

There were 6, 500ml(1 pintish) jars being processed
    Last edited by Winnie; 02-11-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

It does take a while for the pressure to build up i the canner. It sorta like a watch pot never boils. However once the pressure is reached it should not take any longer than the time it says to process the food. I would never be far from my canner when I am using it as you do not want it get too much pressure and hace a nuclear bomb go off in your kitchen. A canner can be very dangerous if you are not monitoring it properly.

I was going to say "watched pot never boils", too. It seems like it takes forever. I have to purge mine 7 minutes (off the top of my head) and that seems like 2 hours. I don't stray from mine either. I hover counting the "rattles" per minute from the pressure weight so I'm fairly addled by the time the process is done. "Yeah, 2 rattles, 2 rattles per minute. I always count 2 rattles". Dustin Hoffman would be so proud.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Depends on what you're doing with it. The actual canning jars take a lot less. If you make stew in it be prepared to sit and wait a while. But once it's there it's cool to have a delicious meal in 10-15 minutes.

Blog Entries

Hmm. It takes about 30mins to reach the purge stage and then the manufacturers recommended time is 10mins and at least 50mins to get from 0lbs pressure to 11lbs. Would this seem about right?
    I processed some Pineapple earlier and the time to the purge stage was the same but it took about 20mins to get to 5lbs pressure. I've just opened a jar and the taste and texture are fine, all jars sealed well. Perhaps I'm just being a little anxious, I'll just have to learn to be more patient, I'm used to a 7pint pressure cooker!
    Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by Winnie; 02-11-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spellin'
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

It does take a while to get to 10 pounds, which is what I can at. I've never timed it but that seems right. Then you have to try to figure out, "was that a rattle or just a half rattle? Was that a real steam release or just kind of a partial". I need a light to go on.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

That's good to hear, Rick.At least I know I'm about right.My Canner must be different to yours. If I was to hear rattles and steam releases.... well it's time to swift exit left and vacate the kitchen.

There is a weight that sits on the steam vent. It's drilled for 5, 10 and 20 pound weights. Ideally, if you are canning at 10 pounds you have a steam release once or twice during a 60 second period. That puts you at 10 pounds. More than that wastes water and less you won't be at 10 pounds. This is the one I have. You can see it has a gauge. It's not entirely accurate and there as a reference. The real measure is on the opposite side of the gauge. You can see the round pressure weight.

http://www.allamericancanner.com/all...surecanner.htm

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My grandmothers new stove does take longer than our old top-eye type. For what it's worth, we decided a cook-top wasn't for canning. It works, just takes longer for some reason.

I've used our's by starting both with cold and hot tap water. Does make a bit of difference. Most of our canning recipies call for the to be canned item to be topped with boiling waterin the jar. All this may help with time. Will have to make aneffort to time this one next time it in use.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Winnie, you said you were using an electric stove?
    Not a glass top one, right?
    It might be that your stove element isn't heating up to what High should be. Or because the bottom isn't flat on most pressure canners, it may not be contacting sufficiently to heat up.
    I just got a pressure canner for Christmas. Haven't used it yet. But I can't even do regular canning on the glass top stove in the real kitchen. There's a second stove out in the ex-au pair that has the electric elements and that works great for water bath canning but I'm really considering an outdoor LP fired stove for the pressure canner.

I use an electric stove for my canner.

I use electric/glass top without issue. I don't can using a pressure canner though. I submerge my jar of contents into boiling water. Once the water returns to a boil, I wait 45min. I then remove the can and let cool at room temp. Once I hear the loud pop, I write the date of canning on the lid and store.

Blog Entries

Lowkey, it is recommended not to use a pressure canner on a glass top stove, so I got a double burner electric hob thingie. On reflection, I probably should have got gas one, as I find the electric one difficult to moderate and keep the pressure right.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd like to point out that a water bath is not sufficient for low acid foods. boiling water works for things like tomatoes but won't preserve peas and okra. For that you have to get above boiling temperature, which is why pressure is required. What sort of things are you canning in a water-bath natertot?

I have to echo YCC's caution.

"Botulinum spores are very hard to destroy at boiling-water temperatures; the higher the canner temperature, the more easily they are destroyed. Therefore, all low-acid foods should be sterilized at temperatures of 240 degrees to 250 degrees F, attainable with pressure canners operated at 10 to 15 PSIG [Pounds per Square Inch as Measured by Guage]."

http://www.foodsaving.com/G1PrinciplesOfHomeCanning.pdf

If you are using an enamel canner, or any enamelware pot or pan, you shouldn't use them on a glass top stove. Enamel is technically a glass glaze put on the steel. You could fuse the pot to the glass cooktop.
    Family will frown and otherwise get angry at you.

Rick, I haven't tried the pressure canner yet. Haven't had any real issues with the BWB method except for the steaming up of the windows and filling the back room with odors of vinegar and pickling spices etc. Family frowns and otherwise gets angry. I happen to like the smell. <shrug>
    The smell actually is what is prompting the outdoor stove for the longer boil times needed for the pressure canner. Funny they don't seem to mind on the jams and jellies and sure don't mind when a jar of pickles gets opened for supper...

I use that method for pickling, jams and jellies as well. Some day I may even get the right amount of pectin in my jellies. But jelly syrup is pretty good, too.

Blog Entries

I've never used pectin in my jams, jellies or marmalade and I get a perfect set. Can I ask what recipe you use that requires it?

Uh, all of them. About the only fruit you can use that doesn't require pectin is currants. I have a bush but it's young and so far it's just produced enough to munch on.

What are you using that you don't need pectin to set the jelly?

http://www.pickyourown.org/grapejelly.htm

I have some old recipes from my MIL as well. I do cheat (yeah, I admit it). I use grape juice when I don't want to mess with the grapes.