Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question for the canning folk.

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    I'd like to point out that a water bath is not sufficient for low acid foods. boiling water works for things like tomatoes but won't preserve peas and okra. For that you have to get above boiling temperature, which is why pressure is required. What sort of things are you canning in a water-bath natertot?
    Last year was my first year of cannning. I did tomatoe based products, cucumbers (pickles), carrots, and green beans. All the green beans went bad though but everything else is okay. Perhaps the pressure canner is needed for the them?

Yes, it is. I'm surprised the carrots did okay. Pickling is fine with a hot water bath because the vinegar provides an acidic ph similar to the tomatoes.

I guess I should say I assume that's why the went bad. I would not can them without a pressure canner.

Spend some time on this link. They have a ton of great information on canning along with recipes and a lot of helpful hints.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Winnie, I use pectin only in clear jellies. I can't seem to get them to set. Or haven't found the right combination of slightly ripe to fully ripe fruit yet. Less ripe fruit has more pectin.
    And mint jelly doesn't have any natural pectin at all unless I make it an apple mint type. Apple spearmint is good. Apple peppermint, not so much. Anything I can make with apples, orange peel or cranberries doesn't need added pectin. Strawberries I seem to do ok too. But Concord grape jelly is a tough one. Since my vines aren't producing yet, the grapes I can get are expensive and usually over-ripe so I don't take a chance and add the Certo.
    I just found a source for free grapes next year though, so may experiment some more.

Natertot, the Putting Foods By book is a good resource for canning. Also the Ball Complete Book on Home Preserving is excellent. Not the Blue book though. Not only does the ink rub off, the Complete book has more recipes for not that much more money.
    Last edited by LowKey; 02-12-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Blog Entries

My recipe for most jams is 1lb sugar to 1lb fruit and for fruit jellies 1lb sugar to one pint juice. (Is an English pound the same as an American pound?) Once the fruit is cooked I add the sugar and bring it to a full rolling boil until setting point is reached. I have no idea how long it takes, I generally go by the change in color, then start testing by dropping a small amount on a cold plate. If, after a minute or so the top wrinkles when pushed gently with your finger, you're there and you can put the jam in jars.
    I've never made Grape jelly, but I do use lemon juice in low pectin fruit like strawberries.
    Last edited by Winnie; 02-13-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, natertot. Pressure is required for peas and beans. Ours from summer are really sweet and delicious. Even the salsa my wife made had to be pressure canned because it had some ingredients that were considered low-acid. My favorite tomato, okra, and squash soup also required pressure.

Mental Note: Get a pressure canner. Check!

I have to suggest an All American canner to you. The foundry is in Wisconsin and they have excellent customer support. Another advantage is they do not have a rubber gasket like most other canners. They are expensive but they will be handed do to your kids if you care for it.

I have the one marked "Best Seller" but you'll notice all of them are rated 5 stars.

http://www.allamericancanner.com/all...surecanner.htm
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That's the one I got Rick, on your advice. Nice piece of machinery. I wanted one with the rocker weight rather than just the guage.

I had a problem with mine after I had used it 6 or 7 times. The lid did not want to release after the pressure reached 0. I called their customer support and got a hold of some guy that had been there forever. Really a nice guy and he explained to me step by step what was happening and why. The aluminum had some mild corrosion and it just needed some 0000 steel wool but his explanation was much deeper than that. He was pretty interesting to talk to. I also had the bakelite handle crack and they shipped me a new one just on my phone call. I've never had another problem with it.

For what it's worth,.....I canned some carp (fish) just the other day....First ever....Turned out
    pretty good....Did 'em up in pint jars.....Love my pressure canner..................................BH51

Did you score the bones before you canned it?

Yes,......I did score the bone prior to canning.....and I added alittle-bit of catsup to it along
    with the salt & vinegar for visual enhancement...looks good enough to eat..................BH51

I don't eat the stuff but a lot of folks where I grew up did. They always scored the bones since there were so many. Once scored I guess they are virtually unnoticeable if you score them small enough and/or they cook up. I know they are bony rascals so I was wondering how you dealt with that.