Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minerals into metal

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Most likely googled it.
    Add to the list......
    Build stone house for free.
    Dig wells anywhere with a shovel.
    Go to the mountains and make your own metal.
    Oh yeah - I thought of them when I asked for pictures. Just another case of....I read it on the Internet and now I'm gonna learn somebody something. It would have been much more impressive to read......I read about this so I went out and tried it......here are my results.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Oh yeah - I thought of them when I asked for pictures. Just another case of....I read it on the Internet and now I'm gonna learn somebody something. It would have been much more impressive to read......I read about this so I went out and tried it......here are my results.
    Totally agree....or at least..."Hey has anyone given any thought to mining metal to use....I found this article, and am think this might be a useful skill,,,what do ya think?
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-13-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Most likely googled it.
    Add to the list......
    Build stone house for free.
    Dig wells anywhere with a shovel.
    Go to the mountains and make your own metal.
    Lol, you guys sure are critical. Yup I got a case, or well, many cases of I read it on the internet and now I'm gonna learn somebody somethin'. So far that's all I got, mind you one day I'll post after a long time of everyone thought I gave up and disappeared from the forum, and BANG!, like 100 youtube links to a tour through where I went on extended survival trip, my camps, my handmade tools, my inventions, and my life. Lol

For now I read, because when I go, there will not be any coming out to use the internet to figure it out. Unless of course I rendezvous with E.T. and he lets me use his spaceship. Lol

Many members read or view something and then pass it along to share with others. I know that I do when I come across something interesting. Most make it clear that is some information they came across. My (won't speak for others) critical view (or cynical view) is that so many times we get posts like H63 referenced. One guy talked about the stone structures that were simple to build - IIRC - that only take a few hours to build. the www pictures he posted were of anything but a simple to construct stone shelter. When asked if he could show some pictures of his work - he didn't have a camera or some sort of reason not to share a picture of his work.

I asked you the question I did to clarify whether or not this was something you had done or just read about since your post lead me to believe it was the former and not the latter. May have just been my interpretation of your post - that's why I asked.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh, well in reply, I definately have not done many of the more complicated projects that I speak of reading about. With that said I also never assumed any of them would be easy, which is why for all of these projects I spend many hours on each referencing, and cross-referencing, as well as watching numerous youtube videos, if not only to make sure I have enough information, also to deeply instill it in the back of my mind and gain a deeper understanding of not just "how-to", but also how it and why it works right down to a science.

And I'd say you probably are a little synical, lol, but that's o.k. don't change for nobody thats what makes you you. Besides we as a human race need types like you. You could say perhaps that, as I would be spontaneous, and adventurous, and possibly even a little fool-hardy, you on the opposite end cause our types to think objectively acting as a voice of reason. As we meet in the middle on our thoughts and ideas, we can strike a balance.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyadam View Post
    Oh, well in reply, I definately have not done many of the more complicated projects that I speak of reading about. With that said I also never assumed any of them would be easy, which is why for all of these projects I spend many hours on each referencing, and cross-referencing, as well as watching numerous youtube videos, if not only to make sure I have enough information, also to deeply instill it in the back of my mind and gain a deeper understanding of not just "how-to", but also how it and why it works right down to a science.

And I'd say you probably are a little synical, lol, but that's o.k. don't change for nobody thats what makes you you. Besides we as a human race need types like you. You could say perhaps that, as I would be spontaneous, and adventurous, and possibly even a little fool-hardy, you on the opposite end cause our types to think objectively acting as a voice of reason. As we meet in the middle on our thoughts and ideas, we can strike a balance.
    All that being said, you are the "study it guy", and you stumbled on a 'how to do it" would you reference your self as an expert?....With out doing it?

My money goes to the 'do it guy'....That's not being cynical....That the way it is.

Good luck on your journey.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Let me put this in perspective for you. You have appendicitis. You are in the hospital when the surgeon enters your room. He explains the procedure and asks if you have any questions.

"How many of these procedures have you done?"
    "I've read everything there is to read about it. I have it 'deeply instilled' in the back of my mind and completely understand the science behind it".
    "Yeah, but how many of them have you done?"
    "I've spent many hours referencing and cross referencing and watching training videos."

Another surgeon walks into the room.

"How many of these have you done?"
    "Oh, I don't know. 800 or 900 I guess. Never lost a patient yet."

Which surgeon are you going to let cut on you? That's our message. If you haven't done it, you don't know it. Nothing critical about it at all. I think right now you don't know what you don't know.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick stated it well.

Keep in mind though that if you put in as much effort into practicing these things as you do watching vids and reading about them you will go on your journey much better prepared. Since this is such a profound quest for you, why not give yourself every chance for success?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I totally agree crashdive. Right now I work on the rigs so I have little time for experiments right now, but when spring break-up comes around I'll have plenty of time for such ventures. Since I don't plan on going on this quest until the following spring I will have lots of time to prepare. So all I can do for now is read with money also being an issue since I've been bouncing around a bit between companies. Now I've finally gotten on with a good company so I should be able to bring in the money I will need to support my short term survival experiences. And thank god for that because it has been rough!

You may be working 14/7s for all I know but you can do much of this in your own back yard. Provided you don't live in a high rise I guess. You can also do it at the local park. Practice building several types of fires in different conditions. Try different types of tinders and find out which is best in the area that you'll be. Try having for dinner for a week the food you plan on eating on your adventure. If you have a pack of any kind try walking around the house with the pack loaded with 9 Kgs loaded into it. Try it with 18 Kgs or 27 Kgs. That will tell you how much you can carry (or want to) and will set the limits for how much weight you have to adhere to. There is a lot you can do inside or outside your home or near it with very little money. You do need some time, however.

I've done a lot of stuff in my backyard and I know a lot of folks on here have too. I've set up tarps in different configurations or tents because I didn't want to wait until I got in the woods and try to figure out what was best....maybe in rain...maybe darker than I wanted. At least I'd have some idea before I got there.

And you had better have lots of contingency plans. Lot's. I posted on here a year ago that I loaded up the truck to spend a couple of nights out and when I arrived I found the cooler of water had turned over and everything in the back of the truck was soaked. Not a big problem for me but something like that happens when you cross a stream or get caught in a heavy rain and you had better have some backup plans for what you are going to do.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good things to keep in mind, I thought I was going to working 21/3's but just found out I working the average joes's 5/2's. This weekend I picked up a shift on a different rig for saturday, but if I get a 2 day weeend this weekend I think I now know a good spot close to me in saskatchewan I could go out for a couple nights. Mind you, I will take supplies and stay relatively close to my truck only cause I really like my job and would hate to lose it due to a no show.

I'm thinkin' 2 days, I'll bring enough food to last the duration (trying not to eat it), I'll buy a digital camera so I can bring some pics for you guys. (smart-phone won't sync for some reason) I'll also bring a hatchet, snare-wire, knife, and a pot to boil water (or snow) with.

While there I'll practice snaring, knife-making (if I can find good stone), making a fire with a bow, cordage, and I'll see if I might be able to forage for roots in winter.

If I have time for all that, I think I'll be doing good, for 2 days.

One of my sidelines is prospecting for minerals and crystals. These mountains have a fair amount of mineralization, the concept is certainly interesting. However, one would probably have to already know of good sources before the need for a particular raw material arises. If, say, you need iron and then start looking for iron in the local hills - that could take weeks / months / years / perhaps never finding any worthwhile locations. Then, as CrashDive and others mention, setting up a working processing system is problematic too.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com