Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fleas

Avoid it like the plague. He slays me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

There's an dietary supplement called Brewer's Yeast that I've used for yrs on myself and my dogs. Eat 2 a day.

I reckon it makes you taste terrible.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I read that putting rock salt in jar lids or the like under all furniture would keep fleas out of the house. Started doing it when the oldest son was born. It or something worked, never had more than a few of them in the house and after a while, never saw them anymore, even with the flea toting animals in and out etc.

Not sure if it would work fast enough to get them out of a shelter, but thought I'd throw it out there. (seems I read it in an old mother earth news, but I have seen it posted elsewhere or read it several other places also.

I usually will smoke a natural shelter to clean out a lot of the nastys.

Given a choice in summer time I hang my net hammock and sleep off the ground. but Aye, I hate fleas.

Thad.
    Thaddius Bickerton

I love fleas.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Fleas flee when Crash shows up. Bugs bug out. Ants become Cant's. Cock Roaches......I have no idea.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have been getten eaten alive on and off for about 3 weeks. Carrying them in from??? and they get me while in bed.

I don't know if I have a severe reaction to them but I know if I was a dog I"D SHOOT MYSELF!!!!! I've been using an anti itch cream to sooth the itch and it.........works.......I guess........kinda.

My wife is right there next to me and not a bite. I have the same problem with gnats and mosquitos. I've never tryed brewers yeast but I think I definately will. Where can it be found? Is it actual brewers yeast.....to make beer?

Are you sure they are not bed bugs? Bed bugs are making a huge comeback in the US.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    I have been getten eaten alive on and off for about 3 weeks. Carrying them in from??? and they get me while in bed.

I don't know if I have a severe reaction to them but I know if I was a dog I"D SHOOT MYSELF!!!!! I've been using an anti itch cream to sooth the itch and it.........works.......I guess........kinda.

My wife is right there next to me and not a bite. I have the same problem with gnats and mosquitos. I've never tryed brewers yeast but I think I definately will. Where can it be found? Is it actual brewers yeast.....to make beer?
    You can find it in the pills and supplements area at most markets.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I hate fleas, especially since a DI on paris had us bury one in a 6 x 6 x 6 foot grave -- under the barracks.

I did learn to endure them, but I really hate them.

He probably saved my life later on when the play turned real, but I still hate fleas.

Thad.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Nope, I believe bedbugs would be constant. I'm bringing these inside and i'm almost sure it's fleas. One of my reasons for not getting another small inside dog was fleas. I seem to get them without inside critters, thats 1 reason down

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Roasted garlic. Mmmmmm. That can bring tears to a rhino a full day later. Just tell folks your chair squeaked.
    They have barking spiders in Indiana don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    SSS was the standard insect repellant for the tree huggers at the archeology field school back when I was a grad student.

They would turn up their noses in disgust at us deet users, then send us into the thick stuff because "we would not get eaten alive!" Talk about a double standard.
    I knew a Marine that used SSS at Paris Island to keep the sand fleas off and he told me lots of others did it also but wouldn't admit it. I like how effective deet is but after a couple days I start feeling sick from it. I have used SSS for years and it does work. We had an infestation on the farm when I was a teen and I put on the SSS and the bites stopped. My legs were covered in bites before using the SSS. I don't think I could have slept at night without it.

As for skinning varmints out west I know a lot of guys that will put a dead coyote or bobcat into a hefty bag, spray some raid into the bag, tie it up, let it sit for a while and then skin it out. Some others put it in a hefty bag and then freeze it to kill the vermin. Of course then you have to let it thaw out. I've used the freezing method before and it does work. We don't eat them though so the meat isn't an issue.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

I have found the SSS to be effective against the no-see-ums down here. I think they just get stuck in the oil and suffocate. When I first moved to South Georgia I used it when working in the yard. After a few hours my arms were black with little dean not so no-see-ums anymore.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

cock roaches get roached.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Fleas flee when Crash shows up. Bugs bug out. Ants become Cant's. Cock Roaches......I have no idea.
    Garlic consumption will curtail most bugs from biting (in quantity on the consumption) .....Cedar oil (fresh cedar branches) under a pier and beam home will keep most bugs out......sulfur while fresh will do it also.....

Now i know this aint your everyday solution to the problem, but since this is a survival website i would like to mention that back in the days when hiking out in Africa we would sometimes use listerine if the bugs was getting the overhand of the campsite. That seemed to work real good on mosquitos and most crawling bugs. we would drop some on the skin and smear it and instead of your face, drop some on your hair. And as much as most people would think otherwise, after just a few minutes you wouldnt smell this very far down wind. Although it can make you a little sticky if you dont use sugarfree mouthwash.

And then there is Vitamin-B! This stuff just goes great in the outdoors for me! It gives you a great constant boost of natural energy and altough it doesnt keep the bugs from climbing onto you it prevents them from biting you. Apparently the vit-B gives of a smell trough your skin that especially mozzy's doesn't like! Take a combination of Vit B complex and add a bit of vit-B12 to that.
    Last edited by Fieldmouse; 11-11-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Usually if you have fleas they are going to bite your ankles. If you have bed bugs they will bite you all over and maybe mainly at the torso.
    I've used sss and it works pretty good for no-see-ums but needs to be reapplied more often. But, when you do get bites around the shirt cuffs, as black flys (no-see-ums) do, they heal fast with sss and disappear rather than look very red like insect repellent makes them look.
    Baking soda will stop bed bugs as will clorox and lots of things, but a constant application for a long time might be neccesary.

Oh, and bed bugs have a bigger welt than a flea bite.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

We don't have fleas up here but the mosquitoes are famous for carrying off people. SSS doesn't work on them. I use Deet! I use different concentrations depending on where I am going and what I am doing. Hiking through woods, 100%! I don't use the 100% on the kids though.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Wow ressurect the dead thread haha.

If I remember correctly my curiousity was more towards primitive ways. I know DEET works but I was wondering back in the day, did Indians just learn to live with them? Did they have an excellent method to repel them? I mean they had to be everywhere with all the game mamals...

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Ahh ok. I know the Athabascan here burn punks (fungus that grows on wood) as a mosquito repellant. But like I said, we don't have any fleas up here.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!