Thread: pet survival

Default pet survival

so out of curiosity how many of you have stocked up supplies for your critters, now my wife is a vet teck so i know we are not the only freaks who have a 5,000 dollar rabbit or a 1,500 dollar budgie. we are stocked up with 1 year supply of hard and canned for for our menagier of critters has any one else thought to prepare

always be prepared

Banned
    Blog Entries

I keep about 240 pounds of Dry dog food, 4 bags @ 60 pounds each, on hand.

Again you have to date them, as it can get rancid. And store in cool dry place.

He also eats all wild game meat. Mostly sabertooth, bushy'tailed ground squirrels.

$5000 rabbit??? $1500 budgie?? Wareagle,where did you get those buggers??? I thought $30 was a bit much for a rabbit,LOL.

No but seriously,I have not stocked up for the dog or the cats,and I got rid of my rabbits before I moved here a year ago,not because I wanted to,but because of the restrictions that are on the property.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by remy View Post
    We rotate one 30 pound bag...that's about a month of food for the dog.
    After that...well, more than 30 days means we have bigger issues.
    Or only go to town every eight weeks......

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We have dog food and duck feed on hand for 8 months also, unfortunately takes up a humungous amount of space but better safe than sorry in case the lakes don't freeze safe for travel one winter. Same stockpile applies to medication.

Eat the food, eat the dog, eat the dog food. Seems simple to me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

City Survivalist Proud American's Avatar

Well exept for Rick lol im glad your all thinkin about your pets. I dont have any pets so when my food supply runs out my neighbors pets will a great restock of meat!
    Proud American

Here lies my great advice from my years of experience......

Actually, there is a great booklet put out by the American Veterinary Medical Association that covers family pets to livestock and how to protect them during an emergency.

http://www.avma.org/disaster/default.asp

Scroll down to "Saving the Whole Family".

War Eagle - Your wife might be interested in the brochure they have: Disaster Preparedness for Veterinary Practices
    Last edited by Rick; 02-20-2008 at 08:13 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

ya we've already set up an emergency plan, the wildlife federation basically mandates such a protocol

Good read. Thanks rick.

I have food for Ugly for 6 months. With what he forages from the area he could last a year or more. He brings rabbits home all the time. Mostly I just take back out and let free. The rest I dispatch, clean and cook for him. Ya, Ya, spoiled lil brat that he is.

We have a special tag on Ugly's collar. It reads my Uncles name is and his # is (555)123-4567. My brother knows about this and I know if called he is willing to rescue my pet. My Bro lives an 8 hour drive from me so most likely would not be affected by disasters in this area. The usual local name and # are there too.

Ugly is not food. He goes out and gets food. That and TDW AND TGF would hurt me if I even suggested he could be food in a disaster.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Eat the food, eat the dog, eat the dog food. Seems simple to me.
    LMAO...

I was thinkin you could raise rabbits (all know how "fruitful" they are), to eat and feed the dog, cat etc....

I could never eat my dog.... she'd lay down and die next to me before she would eat me.... my cat on the other hand i have caught nibbling on me before im even dead yet....
    If your going through Hell, keep going ! (Winston Churchill)