Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricks of the trade

Default Tricks of the trade

Here it is, we all know a few hand-me-down tricks for making a better dish. Such as, keeping your peeled potatoes in water to keep them from turning brown. What trick do you have that you want to share?

Well, I just learned a new one for me. Keep the guacamole seeds in the dip/ sauce to keep it from turning brown. 3 hours latter... So far, it's working.
    Last edited by rebel; 02-06-2012 at 05:36 PM.

On the potato subject, for crispier home fries soak them in salt water for about fifteen minutes. Pat dry before cooking.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    On the potato subject, for crispier home fries soak them in salt water for about fifteen minutes. Pat dry before cooking.
    I can really appreciate that. Thanks!

Here's a way to make your own baby wipes or disinfectants wipes using half a roll of paper towels.

http://www.fox59.com/videogallery/67...ng-It-Yourself
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Here's a way to make your own baby wipes or disinfectants wipes using half a roll of paper towels.

http://www.fox59.com/videogallery/67...ng-It-Yourself
    Coconut oil, baby wash, distilled water. Good points for saving a few dollars. I think back to the days of reuseable diapers. Regular soap and water. I'm old fashioned.

Here's a Few for Cooking :
    •If you store half an apple in the container where you are storing a cake, the cake will retain it's freshness longer.
    •Cottage cheese will remain fresher longer if you store it upside down in the refrigerator. This slows the effects of oxidation.
    •To determine whether an egg is fresh, immerse it in a pan of cool, salted water, if it sinks then it is fresh, if it floats to the surface, throw it away.
    •To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.
    •The best time to harvest fruits and vegetables for maximum flavor is in the morning.
    •Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep for weeks.
    •Place a slice of apple in hardened brown sugar to soften it.
    •What should you do with fruit with mold? Throw it away rather than simply cutting off the mold since mold on fruit goes much deeper than what appears on the fruit.
    •Mushrooms should never be soaked in water because they absorb liquid and will become mushy.
    •To keep mushrooms from discoloring, squeeze the juice of one quarter lemon onto a paper towel and wipe each cap with the dampened towel, this also helps clean the mushrooms.

Tips for Potatoes
    •Store potatoes, loosely packed, in a cool dark place. Do not store in the refrigerator.
    •Avoid rinsing potatoes before storing.
    •Store in a cool, dark, dry place. A root cellar, if you have one, is the best storage option.
    •Make sure the temperature in the area is about 45 to 50 degrees F. Don't store potatoes in the refrigerator, or they will become too sweet.
    •Avoid storing potatoes with onions because, when close together, they produce gases that spoil both.
    •Store potatoes no longer than two months if mature. If they are new, store no longer than one week.
    •Check on them occasionally and remove those that have become soft or shriveled, as well as those that have sprouted.
    Lat But Not Least Double Fry your French Fries Fry once (Like Blanching In Oil)Then When Ready to Eat Finish Frying and they will Be Crispy On the Outside and Nice and Soft In the Middle.
    To Fail Is to Learn from your Mistakes and Advanced off of that Failure.

A lot of good recommendations. Thank you Skinner for posting them. I know I'll be using some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
    Here's a Few for Cooking :
    •If you store half an apple in the container where you are storing a cake, the cake will retain it's freshness longer.
    •Cottage cheese will remain fresher longer if you store it upside down in the refrigerator. This slows the effects of oxidation.
    •To determine whether an egg is fresh, immerse it in a pan of cool, salted water, if it sinks then it is fresh, if it floats to the surface, throw it away.
    •To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.
    •The best time to harvest fruits and vegetables for maximum flavor is in the morning.
    •Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep for weeks.
    •Place a slice of apple in hardened brown sugar to soften it.
    •What should you do with fruit with mold? Throw it away rather than simply cutting off the mold since mold on fruit goes much deeper than what appears on the fruit.
    •Mushrooms should never be soaked in water because they absorb liquid and will become mushy.
    •To keep mushrooms from discoloring, squeeze the juice of one quarter lemon onto a paper towel and wipe each cap with the dampened towel, this also helps clean the mushrooms.

Tips for Potatoes
    •Store potatoes, loosely packed, in a cool dark place. Do not store in the refrigerator.
    •Avoid rinsing potatoes before storing.
    •Store in a cool, dark, dry place. A root cellar, if you have one, is the best storage option.
    •Make sure the temperature in the area is about 45 to 50 degrees F. Don't store potatoes in the refrigerator, or they will become too sweet.
    •Avoid storing potatoes with onions because, when close together, they produce gases that spoil both.
    •Store potatoes no longer than two months if mature. If they are new, store no longer than one week.
    •Check on them occasionally and remove those that have become soft or shriveled, as well as those that have sprouted.
    Lat But Not Least Double Fry your French Fries Fry once (Like Blanching In Oil)Then When Ready to Eat Finish Frying and they will Be Crispy On the Outside and Nice and Soft In the Middle.

I have found that storing a slice or piece (good use for the root end that you cut off) of onion with an opened avocado will help keep it from turning brown.

When I make guac, I make sure to include lots of onion, salt, and lime juice. Not only do they taste good, they keep it pretty.
    Last edited by grrlscout; 02-06-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Oh and to extract bitterness from eggplant, peel it, seed it, and heavily salt it. Let it sit for a while, then rinse off the salt.

When ever you cook in the kitchen, make a big ol' mess.
    This does two things...

1st, it almost completely eliminates the other half asking you to help, in the kitchen.

2nd, she is a lot less likely to say anything when you spend money on "out-door" cooking stuff. (Grills, smokers, propane burners, dutch ovens, etc.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

When I got rid of all my teflon coated cookware 6 years ago I had to learn how to pan fry stuff, fish especially without it sticking. So far what works every time is this:
    Heat the pan first without the oil. When it gets pretty hot, add the oil quickly and add the fish. Move it around a bit and you're set. Crispy fish, clean pan.

Quote Originally Posted by grrlscout View Post
    I have found that storing a slice or piece (good use for the root end that you cut off) with an opened avocado will help keep it from turning brown.

When I make guac, I make sure to include lots of onion, salt, and lime juice. Not only do they taste good, they keep it pretty.
    Thank you. We'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    When ever you cook in the kitchen, make a big ol' mess.
    This does two things...

1st, it almost completely eliminates the other half asking you to help, in the kitchen.

2nd, she is a lot less likely to say anything when you spend money on "out-door" cooking stuff. (Grills, smokers, propane burners, dutch ovens, etc.)

LOL ( several times ) ! Had to share that with the misses. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    When I got rid of all my teflon coated cookware 6 years ago I had to learn how to pan fry stuff, fish especially without it sticking. So far what works every time is this:
    Heat the pan first without the oil. When it gets pretty hot, add the oil quickly and add the fish. Move it around a bit and you're set. Crispy fish, clean pan.
    I've been looking at a new grill with a searing thingie. ???

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Thank you. We'll give it a try.
    I left out a piece of vital information from my post! Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    True dat. I have also found that your protein will "release" on its own, when it is fully seared. So don't panic if at first it sticks.

Cast iron. No stickie.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I just can't wrap my mind around not scrubbing a pot but only wiping it off, (as in cast iron). I understand all about the seasoning and all, but still... Besides, you've got to be a body builder to handle those on a daily bases.

Add a little sugar (about a tablespoon) to the pot of boiling water when boiling corn on the cob. Helps bring out the natural sweetness of the corn.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel