Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Middle of the Road Food

Default Californy Continued

I prepare the toppings. The warmed ones; whites of the green onion, goat cheese, sliced tomato, and of course the lightly oiled crust.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The cold toppings; Coarse cut baby spinach, the greens of the onion, salt, pepper, and some balsamic vinegar. It is actually better with red wine vinegar, but I only carry balsamic on the road. You can get it in small packs from minimus.biz. They usually get a C-note or more from me each year, lots of neat stuff.

Last to prepare is the avocado, half since Martha is not going to participate. Or, is she?

Martha walks in about that time, and starts eysballin' my avocado. I get kinda' excited when that happens, to be quite honest. She takes us South of the border.

So now, I'm eyeballin' her avocado.

And wouldn't ya' know it, I burnt the first crust.

But I carry on in my avocado induced trance. Warm the toppings

And serve with the cold

"They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Default Traditional, kinda,sorta

The goal on this particular lab set was to try and come up with something that the kids would enjoy and be able to make in the field. We try a homemade sauce from ketchup and Italian spices.

It failed, too sweet. But we did get the crust action down, a double boiler.

And on the third attempt, I begrudgingly open a can of tomato sauce and mixed in the seasoning. Diced onion, diced Hungarian pepper, shredded cheddar, pepperoni, beef bits, and what is not shown in the pic is a mozzarella string cheese.

Cover it for a few

And this is what you get.

Now, how are we going to get all that stuff in the field?

I'll go through my thoughts on the preservation preps in another post.

Sweet. Are you using crescent roll dough?

mimimus.biz is a great place. I've bought a lot of stuff from them. Watch the single use peanut butter. The oil will leak out if you keep it too long.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    ..........Are you using crescent roll dough?.........
    Boboli Pizza dough, I can usually get it with 2-3 weeks left to expiration and you don't have to refrigerate it. I'll go through some particulars on all of that stuff, especially the cheese and meats, when I get a chance.

Minimus does have a pizza sauce that I haven't tried, that could keep me from carrying a can of tomato sauce.

You can dehydrate your favorite sauce be it pizza or spaghetti. If you have the round plastic trays for making fruit leathers just pour your sauce in them and dehydrate it. It will make a leather. If you don't have the trays then oil some wax paper so it doesn't stick when done and turn up the edges so it doesn't run off and make a mess.

EDIT: I just went back and looked at your dehydrator. You have the fruit leather trays in it. You should be good to go. Your hamburger will dry faster if you remove the leather tray and let the air pass through. You'll get some bits fall through but you can put the leather tray below to catch it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You can dehydrate your favorite sauce be it pizza or spaghetti. If you have the round plastic trays for making fruit leathers just pour your sauce in them and dehydrate it. It will make a leather. If you don't have the trays then oil some wax paper so it doesn't stick when done and turn up the edges so it doesn't run off and make a mess.

EDIT: I just went back and looked at your dehydrator. You have the fruit leather trays in it. You should be good to go. Your hamburger will dry faster if you remove the leather tray and let the air pass through. You'll get some bits fall through but you can put the leather tray below to catch it.
    The beef was above the pork, hence the "separation" tray. The pork is always suspect, the beef too, just not so much.

I'm gonna try, I promise, but the only dehy sauce I have ever had that I liked was; ketchup from a twenty year ago MRE. Dry rub on a fresh caught trout: Crash says it best; "It helps when you're hungry". It was excellent.

I'll compare the bizimus to usimimus.

Default Dried Cow

Start with something in one piece and lean.

Lean it up even more.

Feed it to the grinder.

Then feed it to the grinder again.

Add some bread crumbs and give it a good whirl.

Fry it until "dry".

And then a nice warm breeze

And we're left with

Default Cheese, and more cheese

First,

If you do not follow the manufacturers recommendations on any product, you do so at your own risk.

I am blessed to live in four seasons country. Certainly nine months of the year I can count on temperatures less than room. Seldom will I carry cheese in the months of June, July, and August. When I do, it is for consumption in 24 hours or less and kept in a dry cooler. No ice, no power, just something to buffer the temperature change. The other nine months, I use several methods. I still use something to buffer temperature change (to minimize sweating). That can be that same cooler, a few pieces of newspaper, or even a piece of clothing. Hard cheeses I can trust for a week wrapped in cheese cloth with a small splash of vinegar. Seal in a ziplock and use some sort of insulation for buffer.

I don't mind the flavor of the vinegar as long as it's just a hint, use it sparingly.

I can get two weeks or more by wax sealing, but it is a bit of work. Wrap in cheese cloth and dip, dip, dip.................

Here's what you get.

And the hull is a decent piece of tinder.

I have carried these as is for as long as a week.

Intothenew,

Where did you find a steamer with a telescoping lifter to lift the basket? Or did you alter it yourself? That is awesome!, Have you tried the plastic steamer yet? Did it hold up to your expectations?

Quote Originally Posted by grokh5499 View Post
    Intothenew,

Where did you find a steamer with a telescoping lifter to lift the basket? Or did you alter it yourself? That is awesome!, Have you tried the plastic steamer yet? Did it hold up to your expectations?

Roses, Big Lots, or Wally World is where all of those steamers came from. I can't recollect which one from where, and they are as purchased. The only mod I have considered is adding something to the feet of the stainless ones, but haven't figured out a safe one. Those feet are a bit hard on a lined pot, hence the excitement on the plastic one.

With mixed emotions, I answer; No, I haven't tried the plastic one yet.

The down side, I have yet to take anything more than a day ride this year. Work has had me corralled.

The up side, I have spent a considerable amount of time in the field with the grandkids. That has been awesome, to say the least. Also, I have 27 days of vacation to take between now and the end of the year. Martha and I should get some time on the road here soon, hunting season should be long, and the grandkids should get a taste of winter in a one room cabin. Also, work is good, I feel very fortunate in these times.

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    The down side, I have yet to take anything more than a day ride this year. Work has had me corralled.
    We have had that problem in the past trying to get out ourselves, either the Army or the weather - aka imminent hurricane predicted on planned weekend, have derailed most of our plans in the past. Now it's just coordinating between my job, or the weather!

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    The up side, I have spent a considerable amount of time in the field with the grandkids. That has been awesome, to say the least. Also, I have 27 days of vacation to take between now and the end of the year. Martha and I should get some time on the road here soon, hunting season should be long, and the grandkids should get a taste of winter in a one room cabin. Also, work is good, I feel very fortunate in these times.
    Awesome, I too am fortunate for what little work I can find with hubby in college right now! We have been camping out in the living room and the back yard to make up for it all! Easy peasy at a moments notice!