Thread: canning

Default canning

I don' do much veggies, live in central tx and a garden is shortlived anyway. I do however bbq, make soups and chili and things like that. I would like to can leftovers instead of freeze them.......When I decide to cook....I cook for real. What kind of investment am I looking at as far as jars, lids, seals pots and what not

It depends on how much you want to can. I have an All American Pressure Canner that was about $200. There is a kit that you can purchase that has tongs, jar lifters, magnetic lid lifter, etc that's about $20. A case of wide mouth jars is around $20 but you can pick them up at garage sales, too. bands and lids are around $5 for a case of 12 new. A cold pack canner can be had for $25 or so but can also be found at garage sales.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You are going to need a pressure canner for canning meats, a tool kit and I recommend the Ball canning book. There are plenty of recipes on line but like the ball book for the reference. Jar prices depends on the size. There is the option of checking resale shops for a pressure canner. There are a few pressure canner /cooker part suppliers on line Pressure cooker outlet has parts. This can be a cost effective way to get a real good canner.

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/cannerparts.htm
    At Pressure Cooker Outlet we carry a full line of Pressure Canner Parts for Pressure Canners from these leading manufactures - Presto, Mirro, All American, & Maitre's. We also carry parts for most models of Sears & Maid of Honor Pressure Canners.

I have a presto 16qt pressure canner. about $100 at Ace Hardware
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...09&cagpspn=pla

BAll canning tool kit $16.00
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...27733.11927754

BAll Canning cook book $9.50

Ball 16oz regular mouth with lids and rings 12 pack $7.00
    Ball 64oz wide mouth with lids and rings 6 pack $11.00

Check out Walmart and Big Lots. Some times you can get good deals when canning season ends. Out here in WV lots of folks do canning and supplies on sale get picked up quickly.

I can some leftovers and found the best option is to freeze leftover portions in reusable containers and save enough to do one trip in the canner. If i have it in my budget I like to make double batches for the exact purpose of canning the leftovers. I process as a hot pack or cold pack depending on if I can just after the meal or if the food has cooled.

I keep notes in the Ball book for future reference. I document temperature settings on the stove, number of jars and size, time to process pressure, and recipe modifications. This information gives me gives me the ability to plan a day of canning and perhaps get two or three batches without going over pressure or missing the start of process timing.

Depending on were you live, it looks like for about $150 you can get all you need to process your first batch.

You will be contacted Shortly by a representatives of WSFQC. The Wilderness Survival Forum Quality Control team will provide you with the necessary forms and shipping instructions for your canning review submission.

sincerely
    Your WSFQC team
    A devision of F.A.R.T
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I bought the All American pressure canner on Rick's advice. Love it. Especially the no rubber gasket part and the fact it has a rocker weight as well as the pressure gauge. You can hear it so you don't have to watch it every minute.

You might want to check a few recipes out first to see what size jar they recommend. For some things they don't recommend anything larger than a pint. You didn't mention it, but for fish, they don't really recommend anything bigger than a half pint. You don't want to shell out for Quarts if your recipe (or your canner) can't use them.

Banned

I came across an old All American Pressure Canner at a resale shop a few years back. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it, but I didn't know much about them at the time. They require no seal, which virtually all other models do and these will eventually need replacing. Made in America and built to last. You might check around at Thrift/Resale shops if you want to save a few bucks. They make many different sizes just depends on how much a pot your stove can handle and how much capacity you're looking for. If you find an old one you can still buy replacement parts for them if needed.
    Canning is a great alternative to freezing meats, butter, veggies and fruit. It can pose serious problems if done incorrectly so spend a little extra to get a good canning guide(s).

BTW, you want to skip this book:
    BAll Canning cook book $9.50

Spend the extra and get this one instead:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-...ook+of+canning
    It has all the recipes of the 9.50 book plus many many more. And the ink doesn't rub off the cover either.

Whew! I'm sure glad you liked it. I'd hate to have you camped in my front yard waiting for me to come out.

I can't say enough good things about All American's customer service either. I've talked to them a couple of times and both times I've ended up talking to some guy that's on the production side. He was great to work with. A few of those, "Oh, by the way," things that they don't put in the manual thrown in there as well.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.