Thread: foraging shellfish during red tide?

Default foraging shellfish during red tide?

shellfish that are filter feeders can accumulate toxins during a red tide. scallops can be eaten provided the only part eaten is the muscle, not the guts. can this be said for all shellfish? do the toxins only stay within the organs and guts and not affect the muscle?

How are you getting the muscle out without spilling the guts?
    I've heard crustaceans aren't affected by red tide though. Often wondered if that was 100% true too.

If any of that is true (as to them still being edible) then why is all clamming etc. banned during red tides? And why are people who are caught fined and jailed?
    I know what hunts you.

i read on a website that the muscle of the scallop is still edible, not sure if its true or not either. im just looking for some info to see when its ok to forage shellfish, i mean some deadly algal blooms dont even change the color of the water, how would people know when shellfish are safe to eat without having to test the water all the time? (assuming they couldnt ask fisheries or what not) arent people who forage shellfish like mussels taking a risk when doing so?

Blog Entries

From Oregon Food Safety Division.

Red tide closures
    Shellfish feed on plankton or ocean algae. Plankton can produce toxins during an algae bloom, which are taken up and concentrated in shellfish. These toxins do not harm the shellfish, but can harm humans or marine mammals. A toxic algae bloom is not always red, it may be colorless.

The full blurb

http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/FSD/faq_in...rvest_and_eat_
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Default foraging shellfish

i still eat them here in Philippines even though they have advisories. Many dont.

user30074_pic1555_1326849168.jpga few after red tide