Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Question for Horse People

We trained our horses to take commands based on how you used your knees and heels, but also with a normal bridle as well since they were mostly race horses. We also would tie a rope around their schnozes as a ghetto bridle every now and then.

A horse wasn't fully trained until it could race, and be ridden without the need of tack.

Really I would go with a Bosal until he fully understood what I wanted. It is not known that a hackamore can break the horse's jaw. I have found that a horse works better when he thinks it's his idea. Pat Parelli and Clint Anderson are pretty much the same. Neither wants to BREAK a horse. The Parellis want to be partners with their horse. It seems to work for them. Sometimes my horse wants to be my partner and let me lead, sometimes he wants me to shut up and just enjoy the ride or not.

I have trained my horse to let me jump on his neck and then he throws me on to his back. This saves me having to find a way to get on him bareback. Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzjuYQQwkt8. It takes time but you can't force it. They do it cause they want to!
    If you always do what you've always done...
    You'll always get what you've always gotten.

No matter where you go...
    there you are.

As others have said bosals, hacks, neck ropes, war bridles, etc. are all good options; you could just ride in a halter and lead rope too. We start our horses under saddle in a halter and lead rope in a round pen and I would have no problem riding any of our older horses in just a halter either. That being said, a bit is only as harsh as the hands its in and in the wrong hands, even a halter can be harsh.

You can use just a halter. If they get ornery, a hand full of ear pulled in the direction you want them to go will get their attention.

If you don't have access to a hackamore bit you can make a simple tie down bosal...if your horse is well trained (or snap a couple lead lines to the side rings of a halter).

A simple strip of leather runs from one side of the bosal over the head behind the ears and down to the other side of the bosal, they both attach to the sides of the bosal so they do not slip up or down. When it is on the horse, they lay about an inch below the eye and flat to the face. The bosal is typically a heavy piece of rawhide, leather, or something similar that goes over the muzzle, above the soft portion of the nose and meets underneath to form a large knot. You can use a simple macate rope, cotton rope, or any other type of soft pliable rope for the reins and tie both ends to the bottom of the bosal, so the bosal knot keeps them in place. Throw it over the head and you have a set of what would be called "barrel racer reins" This keeps them from falling to the ground if you accidentally let go of them.

I have had horses this works very well with, even improvised with a mare one time and ripped the sleeve of a flannel shirt up into braided strips to make one and used a strip from a vine for reins. But then, I had been riding and using her for about 12 years (I have been riding and training horses for about 36 years). A tie down Bosal is usually used to keep a horse from throwing its head up and is attached between the front legs to the girth, but in a pinch and with a WELL TRAINED HORSE$, it can be used for a bridle. Just make sure the rider is VERY VERY experienced and the horse is well known and well trained...I have had horses all my life and always remember to BE PREPARED!!! They are a flee animal and even the best trained "bombproof" horse will spook or blow up unexpectedly. This type of head gear gives very little if any control...depending on the animal and the situation.
    Last edited by Dink; 04-19-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    THANK YOU TO ALL THE MEN & WOMEN OF THE ARMED FORCES!!!!

Head Harness, colts are trained this way in a round pen.

http://www.culturedcowboy.com/saddle...iningEquip.htm

I know people that used head harnesses on mules.
    Last edited by jcullen24; 04-19-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

If you don't mind me asking what kind of bit was he started in? I train my own horses and break mine out to ride. I use a hackamore but when I introduce a bit it is a broken snaffle especially for young horses. I also use a sidepull which I love. I have started my 2 year old filly in it and she is doing great.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

Well hey howdy young lady. How you been?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by equus View Post
    If you don't mind me asking what kind of bit was he started in? I train my own horses and break mine out to ride. I use a hackamore but when I introduce a bit it is a broken snaffle especially for young horses. I also use a sidepull which I love. I have started my 2 year old filly in it and she is doing great.
    I really don't know and my friend isn't sure. She figured if she took the horse to a professional trainer right from the start she'd be doing the right thing. I don't know much about training horses but I can't imagine hurting them and making them bleed is OK in anyone's book.

I dont trust horses, so I'll just stick with my 200 mph sportsbike! The only horse I have ever rode wanted to run as fast as he could and didn't care where I wanted to go, and he found every low hanging limb in the countryside to run under

That's what happens when you let the two girlfriends train the horse.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    That's what happens when you let the two girlfriends train the horse.
    Well Crash that actually happened before I met the girls. It was a freinds horse and he said he was a very gentle horse and was well mannered. I think he actually gave me the craziest horse he had just to see if I could stay on him. I did stay on the horse but only after he almost killed me a couple of times! The son of a gun was even trying to bite me when I finally got off of him!