Thread: wilderness first aid?

Default wilderness first aid?

Is there any way to get certified in wilderness first aid, online?

Not that I think it's a good idea....... http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...w=1600&bih=785
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I should have mentioned this, I am already trained and certified in standard first aid. Why would it not be a good idea?

IMO the skills required of a person that is "certified" in a field such as first aid are just that - skills. The internet is great at providing information, but until the theory is put into practice it is merely that - information. For example - getting certified on line to be a welder - probably not a good idea.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I second that. Book learning and field experience are extremely different. They can show you how to make a traction splint out of branches but can't really show you exactly how much traction you actually have to pull for it to do anything.... Along with alot of other similar things.

I agree crash and randy. I also think that having the knowledge, even without skill, is better than being without both. With knowledge, you at least have a little clue about what to do to save your @$$. Besides, gotta start somewhere!

You guys are basically saying don't fool with a candle because it isn't as good as a torch. Maybe not, but you ahve to use what you have in a pinch!

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I agree crash and randy. I also think that having the knowledge, even without skill, is better than being without both. With knowledge, you at least have a little clue about what to do to save your @$$. Besides, gotta start somewhere!

You guys are basically saying don't fool with a candle because it isn't as good as a torch. Maybe not, but you ahve to use what you have in a pinch!
    ok then if its just a pinch,,then why worry about certification?

I'm not saying don't read up and learn as much as you can but as lefties said why worry about a cert?

Look online for a local class for field experience. It's not near you but this is the closest one to me.
    http://www.sierrarescue.com/index.ph...id=4&Itemid=58

The OP left the impression, at least with me, that he was looking for some place to learn first aid. There was no indication that he had any prior training. In that case, relying only on internet training isn't the best choice, IMO. Yes, it is better than nothing but given the comparative costs a hands on first aid class through the local Red Cross or hospital would be a better choice.

With the additional information that he has training in basic first aid then an internet course could build on that training although Crash's example is apropos, IMO.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about a cert either. Learning is learning. Red cross does have some good stuff and often times there classes are free or close to it. I like the school that Randy brought up. I may have to try and find one in my area!

It looks like an awesome course. Going through them for my swift water rescue training in March.

Rick- In the second post of his he said he was already "certified" in first aid. Whatever that means. A CPR class? How to put on a band aid?

Yes but that was after Crash had responded and was posted in response to Crash's comment that he didn't think it was a good idea. His first post led me to believe he had no training. At least that was my interpretation. His second post cleared that up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

These guys offer certification all over the US, and beyond.
    Not online cert though.
    www.wildmed.com
    I'm considering signing up for the weekend class hosted by LLBean in Maine.

LLBean tends to have some great classes, but then, I used to teach their cold weather survival course in the early 90s
    I know what hunts you.

I've been through several wilderness first aid and WFR courses. By far the most valuable part of any of them was the hands on ie. role playing & scenarios. Even if you do find something online make sure to play plenty of "what if" games in your head and practice simple skills like bandaging, splinting etc.

If your looking for a book there are many, but paul auerbachs books are considered to be among the best.

here's a link to one that's not excessive:
    http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Wi...9707062&sr=8-2