Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada anybody?

Default Canada anybody?

ok so here's the deal
    My friend and I want to get away for some time, lets say a month, and just survive in the wilderness and we want to stay in north America for now at least. he suggested Canada. now growing up in ohio i know how to hunt, clean, skin, ect.. my meat and fish, also know how to make fire, a camp and everything
    I'm far from great but I can get through some situations like i did in Europe alone for 2 months. Now my friend, tom, doesnt have too much experience but I'm teaching him what I can. So, down to my question. has anyone gone to anywhere in Canada for anytime at all to survive/live off the grid or could suggest an area we could visit
    This won't be for a while so we both will have more experience so don't worry about us.
    any information would be useful

Thanks,
    Ethan.

Your terminology "to survive/live off the grid" inaccurately describes what you are asking about. You are going on an extended camping trip. Treat it as such. From the preface of your question - you have done it before - it should be no big deal. Have fun. To answer your "has anyone gone to anywhere in Canada for anytime at all" - yes I have. While I did camp - I was on the move daily (motorcycle) and it was over 30 years ago.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Come up to Ontario, we have millions of acres of pristine untouched wilderness. Your best bet would be to go to the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources website where you will find information on land use policies and area's you can go that are "Crown Land". Northern Ontario is primarily boreal forest, spruce bog, beaver ponds, lakes, rivers and rock. It is an outdoor lovers paradise, but it can also be very harsh and unforgiving.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Congratulations! You are our first "I'm running away to the Canadian wilderness" candidate of the week. Usually we have had two or three by Tuesday morning.

First get your passport in order. Since you have been to Europe yours is probably in order but your bud may need to shell out his $150 at this point.

Second, secure hunting and fishing liscenses for every province/territory you intend to visit. Those non-resident fees alone will probably send a young non-job holding man into shock.

Third, check the game laws in those provinces/territories. If your plane crashes you are surviving, if you enter the forest willingly you are poaching. I doubt they make exceptions for "survival experiences".

I would check and make sure the Canadians are inclined to welcome non-national out of season hunters and fishermen who are going to need SAR services shortly. They may charge in advance for that sort of thing.

If finances, weather or international borders get in the way, and you are in Ohio, I would check out the Wayne National Forest as an alternative. There are areas there as wild as Canada, you can secure a resident hunting/fishing liscense at a small fee and the SAR people will not make as much fun of the "lost tourist with the Bear Grills knife". It's Ohio, they are used to it. Plus you might have some cell phone coverage so you can call for a ride home.

http://www.fourthnose.com/post/16359...r-linked-death

One can find themselves in deep doggy-doo even in a small wilderness section of a well populated country. Note that this person had attended several survival schools, had gone of conditioning trips and thought he knew what he was doing.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Canada is definitely a good choice. Grizzly bear habitat is considered by many to be the best adventure area. Mexico is probably better though, it's warmer and all. The US would be a bad choice. Anything outside the US is good. In fact, you might even look into Russia. Siberia is just amazing, especially in the winter time.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

The only time I go to Canada is if I'm playin' hockey.

canada is awesome.

Canada great to camp, trek in, canoe but you need the proper licences for either fishing or hunting (in seasons only) The MNR really take umbrage at carrying items that are not in the hunting/fishing regs.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

The Atlantic Coast is really under developed with large stretches of nothing. Hiking and sea kayaking can be demanding but worth it. No one needs a licence to fish tidal and salt water, you only have to follow federal regulations. Here’s the tides and coast line near my home.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Trails run everywhere.

Cape Breton is cool!

We traveled the western tip of Nova Scotia a few years back. It has some beautiful country and the people are incredibly friendly. We came across on the Cat and went south. We cut north on Route 8 to Digby.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I do miss Nova Scotia. We used to visit in Riverport every year. I have some very fond memories of Peggy's Cove and The Ovens.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The Cat doesn’t run to Yarmouth anymore. It really hurt the tourism in that area. The Chapin family has property near the Ovens. They put on a large folk festival at the Ovens Park every year, seem they have a brother named Harry.

My Grandfather was a fishing boat Captain out of Riverport and Lunenburg. He was a gentle, kind, giant of a man. I remember as a child, one of the stories he told of the gold rush fever that fell onto the area. He went out to the ovens one day and was marveling at the crowd when he spotted a shiny rock. A big, shiny rock. He picked it up and asked a fellow if it could be gold. The "gentleman" said he'd check - took the rock - never to be seen again. He said it weighed in at about 4 pounds.

Another favorite place was Gladys Canteen at Hirtle Beach. My Great Aunt owned the place.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You could go to Canada, or you could avoid all the international issues and go near the Canadian border. I live in Washington about 30 minutes away from the Canadian border and we have a ton of great wilderness areas in the Cascades or you can go to the Olympic Peninsula and enjoy the damn coldest rain forest you'll ever be in.

Additionally you could always go to the last frontier.... ALASKA. Theres more wilderness up there than you can shake a stick at, but also a lot more stuff that wants to kill and/or eat you.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
    You could go to Canada, or you could avoid all the international issues and go near the Canadian border. I live in Washington about 30 minutes away from the Canadian border and we have a ton of great wilderness areas in the Cascades or you can go to the Olympic Peninsula and enjoy the damn coldest rain forest you'll ever be in.

Additionally you could always go to the last frontier.... ALASKA. Theres more wilderness up there than you can shake a stick at, but also a lot more stuff that wants to kill and/or eat you.
    I spent quite a bit of time in the HOH Rain Forest when I lived up there. Beautiful (and wet) place. I guess that's why it's a rain forest.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I spent quite a bit of time in the HOH Rain Forest when I lived up there. Beautiful (and wet) place. I guess that's why it's a rain forest.
    Yea I really like the forests in Washington. You really appreciate why its "The Evergreen" state.

I plan on going to Antartica to live off the land , I hunted squirrels in my home state of New Mexico ,Im pretty good at it with my pellet gun , they do they have DSL up there ,right? I hope my iPhone still gets good reception too ,so I can record my events for future expeditions !
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Down there. Antarctica is "down there". I hear they've discovered some pristine water so you shouldn't need a filter. Unless there are some ancient Giardia life forms in it. Better take the filter.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    I plan on going to Antartica to live off the land , I hunted squirrels in my home state of New Mexico ,Im pretty good at it with my pellet gun , they do they have DSL up there ,right? I hope my iPhone still gets good reception too ,so I can record my events for future expeditions !
    Well I guess you could use that pellet gun on penguins....remember it's all about shot placement....and you can kill anything on the planet
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27