Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survival Scenario: Moose Hunt

Default Survival Scenario: Moose Hunt

This is a purely fictional scenario. You are hunting moose in Northern Ontario during the last week of archery season, which is the first week of October. The weather has been cool and overcast during the day, and has dropped down to near zero at night, and there is rain in the forcast. The terrain is thick Boreal forest, dotted with small lakes, bogs, and swampy area's. There is one logging road that you and your buddies are camped on, using an ATV to taxi each other from stand to stand.
    You are wearing used military camo pants and jacket you got at the local surplus store. 100% cotton, with a medium weight quilted jacket, and a camo baseball cap. Your base layer is fleece long underwear you got at Walmart,and wool work socks. Your second layer is a fleece pullover you picked up at the local goodwill. On your feet are a pair of camo hunting boots, that are supposed to be waterproof, and on your hands you are wearing light weight cotton camo gloves and an analog wrist watch. You are wearing a fanny pack that contains the following items: 1 Bic lighter, 1 folding saw, 1 beeswax candle you use to wax your bowstring, 1 extra bowstring, 1 small first aid kit you got at the dollar store, and your lunch: 1 peanut butter sandwich, 1 granola bar, 1 apple, and a bottle of water. On your belt you have your folding knife which is a Gerber Gator, and you have your bow which is a traditional recurve, and your quiver containing six carbon arrows. Three of them have broadheads, and three have small game blunts.
    It is five a.m. and you have been dropped near your stand location. You will be picked up at 5 p.m. or sooner if you radio that you want to be picked, or if you shoot a moose. Your stand is about a kilometer into the bush from where you are standing. You need to follow a small game trail in and the stand is on the edge of a beaver pond. The trail is fairly easy to follow during the day, however it is still dark and you are having trouble seeing the path. You realize that you have forgotten your flashlight, but being stubborn you press on sure that you are headed the right way. You keep walking trying to make out the path in the darkness and trying to estimate how far you've gone. Finally you decide that it would be a good idea to wait for daylight so you can see where you are going. When it's finally light enough to see you realize that somewhere in the darkness you have gone the wrong way, and nothing looks familiar. You make a guess at which way the stand should be and head off bush wacking in that direction. About an hour later you realize that you have no idea where you are, so you decide to radio one of your buddies for help. You dig through your fanny pack looking for your two way radio and then to your horror realize that it's back in camp on your bunk right beside your flashlight..............Now what????????

Use the watch to find approximate geographic coordinates, and head South I guess (or wherever you need to go to get out of the wilderness)?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What would I do or what would the moron running around in the dark woods for hours at a time do?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Follow your own trail back. If you can't track yourself back, set up camp and make fire.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Blog Entries

Cool Huh?

How in the he!! did I get in Canada? Where the he!! did I learn to use a bow? When the he!! did I learn to like peanut butter? Why the he!! would I have a "Gerber Gator folder" on me for a Moose hunt? That knife sucks anyway! I must be having a nightmare so I wake up at home, safe and sound in my wittle bed!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

You guys are cracking me up!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

How about a senerio where Sarge is escaping Illinois?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I suppose firing three arrows in the air as a distress signal is kinda out of the question....
    So did I happen to notice what direction the trail ran before heading out?...should have.
    Stop, look and listen for any signs of motors......

If you have bushwhacked your way in, follow you rail back the way you came....how are you trailing skills?

All else fails, stop build a fire......
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-28-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

How about a scenario where B is trying to get off the island of Manhattan along with a couple of mil. other people?

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    How about a scenario where B is trying to get off the island of Manhattan along with a couple of mil. other people?
    PATH Train (Port Authority Trans-Hudson)
    (800) 234-7284
    New Jersey-Manhattan commuter train.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hang glider B.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Hey! Someone shot three arrows in my tent.(lightbulb) Someone must be in trouble in the tops of the trees!

Hold On, I'm Coming

Don't you ever, be sad
    Lean on me, when times get bad
    When the day come, and you know your down
    In a river of trouble, your bout to drown

Hold on, cause I'm coming
    Hold on, I'm coming
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    How about a senerio where Sarge is escaping Illinois?
    As long as I stay out of Canada I could dig it!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    PATH Train (Port Authority Trans-Hudson)
    (800) 234-7284
    New Jersey-Manhattan commuter train.
    I think I'll walk.

The hypothetical survival situation use to be common here but you don’t see them much anymore. Beaver ponds are notoriously noisy at night, I would have listened before traipsed off into the woods for an hour without knowing where I was going. Banking on the weather, dusk in October would have Vega and Deneb high in the northern sky and heading west. Altair would be bright to the south and heading west. A person could triangulate that with the trails you came in on (if a person took note of their direction in the first place.) A compass is a wonderful thing. Now build a big fire and go to sleep.
    Last edited by ClayPick; 01-29-2012 at 09:31 AM.

The problem with hypothetical situations is the are just too many variables. The OP did a nice job of outlining the situation but one bottle (I assume plastic) of water limits my ability to purify water and how long I can do so for example.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, I would back trail my bushwacked trail. Then assemble a signal fire. Look for a makeshift shelter in case you have to stay the night. Find a close enough place that looks like a decent place to sit and hunt. Then around 4 to 4:30 PM, depending on my available fuel and my fire starting ability, I'd light my signal fire and sit and wait and hope. Listening intently for my friends. Shelter for the night if need be and tend the fire the following day.

While waiting I will re-iterate the importance of signalling. Flashlights, one in my pocket, one in my pack ( I also clip in several Inova Micro lights and have the light I carry with my leatherman). Orange blaze tape for marking trails. Frigging radio would have been sweet right about now. Signal mirror.

I'd reflect back on threads about handgun calibers and how if I'd have carried my CCW 9mm I would have 19 rounds of signal shots. That would be 6 3 round or more likely 2 3 round distress shots at 5:30 PM and 6:00 PM. Then single shot locators on the half hour beginning 1 hour after sunrise the next day (that is assuming that this is archery season and gun shots would otherwise be very rare).

I'd keep melting snow in my bottle for water and I would spread the apple and the sandwich out alternating a bite of each every hour or two. Just to keep my spirits up and my stomach from grumbling.

Ooh, sorry, no snow. Maybe rain.

There you go, your buddies just have to tell the OPP ( Ontario Provincial Police ) that you have a 9mm handgun in the woods. They would throw out all the stops and get you rounded up. It's just not fair! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Ooh, sorry, no snow. Maybe rain.
    Oh! Damn... You can moose hunt without snow?

We don't get meese or snow down my way. I missed the rain part. I guess not paying attention to detail is how I got lost in the first place.