Thread: Leafsnap for iPhone and iPad

Default Leafsnap for iPhone and iPad

This is not really about foraging. But, I felt it most closely fit this topic.

There is a free app out for iPhone and iPad that allows you to snap a photo of a leaf and it will HELP to identify the plant or tree.

It also has a quiz game.

I have used birding apps that have a quiz function and it is a great way to increase your knowledge.

Obviously, possibly identifying a plant is a long way from even thinking of eating that plant. But, an app like this can lead you on the road to discovery and make learning about plants a lot less frustrating.

When Google Goggles came out a while ago. this was the first app I thought of for that technology.

This is the only reason I would want a fancy phone, along with a gps you could ID and tag plant locations and store them on your phone. I'll have to stick with my field books and filed log.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Maybe better to store that info in your head or log........I have a fear that technogoly is being used too much...leading to a desaster if it fail for some reason.
    I for one like the old ways.
    Thanks for the heads up, I do consider that app as a possible helpful thing.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Anything that helps you learn is a good thing. Thanks for the post.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

There's another app for identifying trees" TreeID. It makes you answer a whole string of questions, but at the end it doesn't give "near misses"; it either gives you thumbs up or thumbs down.
    I'll try this new app. Survival (for me) means adapting.

It means that for everyone even though it's kicking a screaming....LOL.
    What ever works for you....use it, It's all good, point is to keep on learning.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Kortoso,

Thanks, I am downloading TreeID as well.

I was in the Drs office today and taking quizes to see how my plant knowledge was.

It helps cement the basics.