Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are all flower petals edible?

One of my favorite wild snacks is redbud tree blossoms. They are almost like citrus pulp in the way they pop in your mouth when they're fat from rain. They have a nice sweet taste. They can also be fried in butter or oil and they take on a nutty taste.

One of the most beautifu syrups I've ever seen is made from violet blossoms. Pack a Mason jar with violet blossoms and fill the jar with boiling water and screw the lid on loosely (the good part is volatile so you don't want it escaping.) Let it sit overnight. The result is a nasty blue colored water. Then make a dense sugar syrup and let it cool. Pour the two together. When you add a few drops of lemon juice, the syrup will turn a bright magenta color. It tastes to me like wildflower honey and can be used as a syrup or to flavor other recipes like candy or puddings. You don't want to cook it, though, or you'll lose all the flavor.

Roses are edible but the white patches at the base of the petals are a little bitter and need to be removed. Rose water is a common flavoring ingredient in the Orient.

Somebody mentioned clover - I'll second that.

There's a restaurant in Atlanta that specializes in floral dishes - it's expensive.

I've been wanting to play with daylily buds. They can be fried and I think they would be good stuffed - maybe with cheese and nuts. I have to find someone with a big patch of daylilies that won't mind me picking a few of their buds.

My father used to tell me that I was going to poison myself one day eating stuff out of the lawn. The going wisdom in his day was that everything that isn't raised on a farm is poisonous. I'm still around though.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just what Pale said!

i know foxglove is poisonous, petals and everything. though a certian extract is used to strengthen the heart, though even that can easily backfire and cause the opposite affects. am i the only one who ever thought that some people could try and use it as a weapon to others like on one of those crminal shows on NCIS XD love that show