Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .303 Enfield

Default .303 Enfield

303 enfield.jpg

Since I retired last year, I have had the opportunity to go to the Base Firing Range with a couple friends 2-3 times a month. Over the last couple weeks I have met an old gentleman that has amongst other weapons a Korean War era Lee Enfield rifle (.303 caliber ). He has been very generous in introducing me to it, and letting me shoot about 40 -50 rounds through it. I was amazed that the first time I fired a 10 round string with it at 75 yards, I not only was able to keep all shots inside a paper plate target, but learned to cycle the action quite smartly. I have fired it several times since then and I am quite impressed with it. He apparently has had it “forever” and has no intentions of parting with it. I have talked to him a lot about it over coffee, did some reading on the subject and am leaning towards buying one. It seems rugged, fairly simple to work on, and as a “stock” weapon can certainly out shoot my abilities or forseen needs. From my readings and questions, the caliber is more than adequate (not perfect, but good enough), and ammunition seems to be readily available. The size and weight are not an issue since I am not “a bug out” guy . Although I have a military / LEO background, I am not a big fan of the “black rifles”. This is not meant to be a debate on if it is the best, since I have already decided (absent any verifiable negatives) this is will fill a gap in the armory.
    My question to the forum is, have any of you had any “extensive” experience with this family of rifles, and are there any quirks that you can share?
    Last edited by Pal334; 01-26-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Too bad is isn't 1958........
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Haven't gone this way, but I know a lot of guys have.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hunter, yer killin me here The best price I have seen so far was in the $250 range
    Last edited by Pal334; 01-26-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

LOL, actually if you do the calc for inflation...got that around here some where.....$250 bucks is probably a good deal....
    Besides you are the one killing me....I'm playing with Nagants and H&R's right now......one country at a time.....LOL.

As long as you are retired, just buy one,...... you don't have to answer to the proletariat any more.......

Nope, but I do have to answer the the Queen of the castle, but I have learned that asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission

Yeah I hear ya....just don't keep them all in the same place....LOL

From the inflation calculator......

Quote>What cost $29.95 in 1958 would cost $223.24 in 2010.< quote

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Pretty much all the elder bolt action military riffles will give you the same service and joy........
    Mosins can still be had for under $100 if you look hard....
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I have used british 303. it was a friend of mines I am going to get one soon. used it one deer season killed two deer.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If you were closer to KY I could hook you up at a reasonable price Pal.

I have 2, both converted to sporters. One as the base for a scout rifle. I have hunted with Enfields many years. I bought mine back when the prices were not much more than Hunter's add. (Of course I paid $29.95 for my first 1911)

My only complaint with the rifle is that if you mount a scope in the conventional position you can not find a comfortable way to carry the rifle. It shifts things around and makes the magazine area the balance point instead of just ahead of the mag as in the stock trim. Of copurse that might also be from taking 5 pounds of extra metal and wood off the forend.

The Enfield is truly a rifle that one can load before leaving the house and know you have plenty of ammo to hunt with without carrying extra rounds jingling in the pockets.

And the smooth action of the Enfield will make you turn your nose up at a Mosin for the rest of time.

The Military channel chose the Enfield as the #3 best combat rifle in history, topped only by the AK and M16. It was in active use for over 100 years and had all the bugs worked out 10 years before WW1 started. Anything they did to it after 1914 was just icing on the cake.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    If you were closer to KY I could hook you up at a reasonable price Pal.

I have 2, both converted to sporters. One as the base for a scout rifle. I have hunted with Enfields many years. I bought mine back when the prices were not much more than Hunter's add. (Of course I paid $29.95 for my first 1911)

My only complaint with the rifle is that if you mount a scope in the conventional position you can not find a comfortable way to carry the rifle. It shifts things around and makes the magazine area the balance point instead of just ahead of the mag as in the stock trim. Of copurse that might also be from taking 5 pounds of extra metal and wood off the forend.

The Enfield is truly a rifle that one can load before leaving the house and know you have plenty of ammo to hunt with without carrying extra rounds jingling in the pockets.

And the smooth action of the Enfield will make you turn your nose up at a Mosin for the rest of time.

The Military channel chose the Enfield as the #3 best combat rifle in history, topped only by the AK and M16. It was in active use for over 100 years and had all the bugs worked out 10 years before WW1 started. Anything they did to it after 1914 was just icing on the cake.
    Thanks for the input. I would keep the weapon "stock", without scope (I am a bit rough on equipment and have always found a way to mess them up)or any add ons. The standard sights seem to be a good fit for me. I did fall in love with the smooth action and the quickness of its cycling. I did see that Military channel program and it is impressive that such an old work horse (like the 1911) has stood the test of time and combat.
    Again, I do appreciate your first hand input.

I've got one - love it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I've got one - love it.
    From your perspective are there any "quirks", or "tricks " with the way it operates or handles?

I grew up with the Lee Enfield No4. Mk1, excellent accuracy, handling, was my go to rifle until I had a brain freeze and traded it off.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but one of the guys at a local gun shop is in love with them. To hear him tell it, they are the best thing since sliced bread. (Of course....he's never played with a Swiss Schmidt Ruben (sp) K-31) LOL

BTW....you and Hunter need to shoot a K-31, if you ever get the chance.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    From your perspective are there any "quirks", or "tricks " with the way it operates or handles?
    None that I've found. I've only put about 120 rounds through it, but have been pleased so far.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That K31 does look nice, but I think I have my heart set of the Enfield. Just seems right, after this many years, I think they have the bugs worked out (not inferrring there are any bugs with the K31)

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Pal, you are worrying too much.

130 years of use in combat and sporting venues on every continent. Is considered the smoothist bolt action ever devised.

has been on the winning side in two World Wars
    has taken every species of game in Africa
    has taken every specis of game in India
    has taken every species of game in Australia
    has taken every species of game in Canada
    has taken every big game species in the U.S.

What more do you want?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yeah, but is it pretty?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Not worrying at all. Just as with any purchase want to know as much as possible. I think it is as "pretty" as a bulldog

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    That K31 does look nice, but I think I have my heart set of the Enfield. Just seems right, after this many years, I think they have the bugs worked out (not inferrring there are any bugs with the K31)
    I didn't mean in lieu of....I meant in addition to.

(Mrs. Pal won't mind.....really.(Snicker, snicker))
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"