Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How do I build a log cabin?

hello everyone I'm building a log cabin and have been cutting and peeling for the last two months on weekends only.i would like to hear and see all your pictures of your log cabins .ive been looking for a site like this for a long time. thanks plumb master

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by plumbmaster View Post
    hello everyone I'm building a log cabin and have been cutting and peeling for the last two months on weekends only.i would like to hear and see all your pictures of your log cabins .ive been looking for a site like this for a long time. thanks plumb master
    Here's the best place to start if you have questions!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

thank you looks like a great site thanks for quick response

This is a great thread. Loved the pictures, and some of the information was good. I worked as a contractor under my father from the time I was 18 til the time I was 24. I understand how to build one of these, it sounds rather straight forward, but I have some questions about materials.

If I was to build a cabin, I would want to raise it off the ground. The reason why is that contact with the dirt would increase the rate in which the logs deteriorate. Does anyone have experience using scavenged stones from creek beds and rock outcrops to build the foundation for the cabin? I was thinking about scavenging up local stone and building the foundation with a standard mortar composed of two parts sand, one part portland and one part lime.

Secondly I would want a fireplace in my cabin for warmth, lighting and heating. Does anyone have experience building a fireplace out of scavenged stone? I would think building the fireplace using the same technique as the foundation would be common sense.

What do all think about using hatch to fill the crevasses in between logs and as a roofing material? I was thinking about using the classic straw and mud based thatching for construction. Do you think this would speed up the decomposition of the cabin? I've never worked with thatch before on a construction project, but it seems like an easy and cost efficient material to use. If thatching isn't a good idea, I would think that putting the logs close together and using regular caulk should be okay.

What type of sealant do you think I should use on the logs to reduce deterioration? I understand that a well built cabin should shed water from the log notches, yet I would like extra protection. Would you use regular deck sealant or would I use something more like a semi-transpiration exterior stain for siding?
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 06-16-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Why not use locust wood as a base? It resists rot pretty well and it is native to the southeast.
    I have wondered if caulking backer rope would be usable for chinking logs.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

@ Adventure Wolf - I'll leave the log cabin specifics to those with more experience, but if you are building anything permanent in the south out of wood, then you will need to construct it so it is not in direct contact with the soil (on slab or off grade) otherwise termites will render it a semi-permanent structure.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

They've been known to do a fairly adequate job of that further north as well. I have a couple of neighbors battling them at the moment. It gets very expensive very quick.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    Why not use locust wood as a base? It resists rot pretty well and it is native to the southeast.
    I have wondered if caulking backer rope would be usable for chinking logs.
    Black Locust is a rot resistant wood. I have head of black locust shingles lasting for over 150 years. I would have to do more research about it being used as a base before I felt comfortable with it. I will put my overpriced education to work and do some research on it.

I helped build a 20 by 40 foot cabin from red cedar.The base was piers laid up fro flat stones. A fireplace was built in the center with the fireplace opening on one side and a wood cookstove on the other. The floor was dirt and eventually a concrete slab was poured and eventually plywood was placed over the slab. The gap under the logs between the piers was filled in with flat stones. The first year the roof was plywood painted with steel roof coating. Eventually the roof was insulated and steel was installed. Small poles were used for chinking with fiberglass stuffed in between the logs. This cabin has been holding up well for 34 years.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I use a sealer /stain from these guys on our cabin.

http://www.loghomestore.com/index.ph...FQGtaQodP3EAAA

Sits on sonnet tubes 48" deep and concrete blocks....Code here.

Have seen some on poured concrete in holes and rock on top.

I cheated, my came by truck.......Logs interlock with tongue and groove...haven't chinked it yet....since 2006

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-17-2014 at 08:16 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

here's a cabin I built back in 1984. It's 16 by 12 feet, the logs were dragged up with a mule. The logs are southern yellow pine. It's set on flat rock piers. A floor system was nailed into the bottom log and joists were installed. Rough cut oak boards were used for door, floor, roof and gable ends. It's still holding up good.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Practice building model cabin with sticks and then graduate to the full sized models.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

our property is in or about crater lake,oregon

what a great thread.love seeing these log cabins.
    i love log cabins.

How long can a well built cabin go without maintenance?

And a follow up...Do you get any end rot on the butt and lap posts since they are exposed?

I think a important factor to the longevity of a log structure is a good roof, roof overhang and foundation. I have friends that dismantle and relocate old hewn log cabins. These were generally built in the mid 1800s. Over the years someone took care of the roof. Many trappers cabins were built directly on the ground, these go fast. End log rot is a issue that needs to be monitored. These days there are borates and sealers to deal with some issues.

Had a sealer applied....not sure what but was cheap...(lot of stuff that is used is on the low end of costs by the Amish).

Had it blasted and stained after two years...logs turning gray.....still need to wait till the "green ness" dried out a bit.

As my logs were milled, with in the locking groves.....chinking wasn't needed right away....possibility down the road?

No end problems, and the building is on blocks and sonnet tubes.

There are about 6 versions of our cabin on our road....as the builder was only 7 miles away.....and the prices were good at the time.
    Most were the basic 16' X 30' w/porch.......delivered closed up windows doors etc.....and were $15K. in 2005

One cabin was just put on block....sunk in and ended up on the ground....started to rot and had to be lifted and bottm beams rebuilt.....after sonnet tubes....Big job that could have been avoided with proper site and house prep.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'll bet that was a trip. You know it didn't sink level. You wake up in the middle of the night to find your wife on you. Well, hey, you say. Then you find out so's the dresser, the chair, the mirror, the.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'll bet that was a trip. You know it didn't sink level. You wake up in the middle of the night to find your wife on you. Well, hey, you say. Then you find out so's the dresser, the chair, the mirror, the.....
    Never look a gift horse in the mouth. The furniture on the other hand........
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ummmmm. did you just call Mrs. Crash.....never mind.