Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from the Pacific NW of the USA!

Default Hi from the Pacific NW of the USA!

Hi, I'm new to the forums!
    I'm in my 30s and a lady (so please pretend with me that I'll be celebrating my 25th birthday for the rest of my life). I live in the Pacific NW near a city now, but with plans to move out to my dream house/farm out in the remote woods. I'm a researcher/analyst by profession, and have more than a decade of military experience, most of it spent overseas doing work I loved with amazing patriots in crummy 3rd world conditions. I have more-advanced-than-typical first aid, firearms, and SERE trainings, in addition to other specialized skills that allow me to work from the middle of nowhere and predict weather impacts on comms capabilities and military air and surface conditions. I've worked in remote areas in jungle, mountain, caribbean (that was short but the weather was SUPER fun (sarcasm)), and a whole lot of desert environments on different continents. I wouldn't call any of this experience (SERE aside) 'wilderness' experience, more like 'extremely crummy but sheltered by tarps and plywood with cleanish water and food that was ok to eat if you took your special pills every day.' Our 'attacks' rarely came from wildlife, snakes and spiders and smallish nocturnal creatures aside. I'd consider myself a novice when it comes to living off the land and killing things you actually want to ingest. I worked with a LOT of guys who went through months long schools for that, and I trust them completely with those kinds of things. In the meanwhile I went through months long schools for my nerd job, which only incidently involves weird environments.

I'm working on short term preparedness (building up the right materials to put in my small SUV), and my ultimate goal is to live on my own property described above, fully capable of living completely on the produce and products you can grow and make by hand. One of the questions on the form here is whether I am into knife making, and I confess, I have no idea how to make a knife. I could guess and make a pitiful attempt, but I'd probably end up using a tin can lid as sharp implement, which likely much less effective than a pointy knife. But I own some good knives now I have never had a garden, aside from helping the Afghan soldiers with their roses here and there - you'd be surprised at how seriously Afghans take rose gardening. I've killed a number of innocent houseplants by leaving town on short notice with no consideration given to their watering needs. I plan to be much more considerate in future gardening ventures. As for my love of backpacking, it is absent. I can't stand wandering around in the forest, eating spider webs and mosquitos and trying to sleep on a rock in a tent that already has 6 very hungry mosquitos in it and is very likely too hot or too cold. I'm a mosquito magnet, no matter where I am. I know that won't go over well on this forum, so I apologize in advance. I love nature, and LOVE to run trails in the woods, think the sky at night is beautiful, especially if you can get away from the light pollution of the city, but I prefer short trips for particular reasons, unless there is a nice, relatively critter proof, air conditioned house out there with beds with good mattresses, running water and sewer, a place to properly cook food and electrical outlets for my computers and gadgets, and preferably satellite tv. I've also had more MREs than necessary for a lifetime, so I prefer not to put them into my survival plan unless there is NOTHING else. By the way, the vegetarian ones are the best, even if you're not a vegetarian (I'm not).

I'm in reasonable shape. Not as good as when I was a college athlete (skinny nerds are good at cross country running) but not terrible. I'm working with the VA hospital to get all of these various ignored medical issues I've acquired over the years addressed, including breaking my back, two long bones in my left hand, several toes several times, my left kneecap, my cheekbone and eye socket, my teeth, all of the long bones in my right foot, my neck, and numerous dislocations and seperations of both shoulders. It sounds bad, but they only ever make me grouchy when I'm carrying really heavy things that I shouldn't be for too long, or when the weather takes a major turn. I intend to marry or hire someone strong enough to do the heavy stuff on the farm. I hear they've got some good machines out there for some of that stuff, too. And in a tight spot, I've always got labradoodle dog power to work with

What I hope to gain on these forums are some friends who've been thinking about the kinds of problems I'll be solving as I prepare to go live off the grid, and I hope the friends have a sense of humor and don't mind answering stupid questions and an overabundance of smileys I look forward to meeting all of you

Welcome to WSF. Beware of sporadic E.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Hello, thank you for this detailed bio. Welcome on the forum!
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

Welcome too the forum... Damn but that is a hard road you've traveled! Which branch did you serve in?
    I know what hunts you.

Hello and welcome. Thank you for your service.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome home and thank you for your service.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 01-25-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: fixed the one fingered typing.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I can only plead ignorance for my inadvertent and errant welcome. This one finger typing gig is just the pits. Thanks to Crash for fixing it for me and to everyone that PM'd me about the error. I apologize to lovesfreedom and to anyone I might have upset with the error. It was NOT meant to be spelled the way I spelled it. Mea Culpa.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hunter63, saying Hey, and Welcome.....Thank you for your service.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned
    Blog Entries

Welcome........

Navy, but never on a ship. More of a ground Navy girl LOL

By the way, to everyone, thank you for thanking me for my service, but I have a feeling there are a lot more years of service behind those 'thank you's' and I appreciate everything you've done that I don't know about, that maybe nobody knows about completely. The tough things, at least for me, are the ones you don't talk about and for guys that seems to go double.

Back to the responses, I'm probably replying the wrong way, I haven't figured out how to respond to an individual post yet... they're going to the bottom...

And for the one finger typers - one finger can get the job done, drive on

Oh! And I was wondering what good survival/preparedness movies you'd recommend? I love apocolypse movies (World War Z is coming out soon!) and sometimes they give me good ideas for things to potentially plan for (although zombies are admittedly an unlikely way for things to go, but contact viruses aren't) but I'd love to see anything you guys can recommend. I have netflix.

Thanks for the welcomes and have a good one! - MJ

Quote Originally Posted by lovesfreedom View Post
    ............And I was wondering what good survival/preparedness movies you'd recommend?..........

Jeremiah Johnson
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Welcome to the forum.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

hello & welcome thanks for your service

I can't talk so much to movies as they do tend to flub it for dramas sake. But books now..... "One second After", "Lucifer's Hammer", "Lights Out", "Patriots", and "Day By Day Armageddon/Origin to Exile"
    I know what hunts you.

Your posting is fine. Oldest post first is a default setting so your posts do go to the bottom. You can change that if you wish by going into your settings, go to browsing options on the right hand side and tick Newest Post First. The problem with that is you may have difficulty following the thread because you must read from bottom to top, which is not how most of us were taught to read.

Welcome from the east coast.
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

Welcome to the site and thank you for your Service !! I'm a newbie to the site too, but not to 'Survivalism'.

Your Military training is about the best prep you can have for living 'off the grid'. Most Military Training is 'reality based' and done by a 'show me' basis. i.e., you can either field strip an M4 , or you can't. Likewise (following the weapons analogy) you must know your I/A drills......'weapon stops firing'??? RELOAD! (or with our old SLR's it was 'cock-hook & look'.......... then reload.

What I'm talking about here is a 'can-do' mindset.........`and 'attitude'........... and that last, is probably the most important.

The next is to 'prioritize'. Sort things out on a 'wants & needs' basis. Ask yourself, what do I really need??? 'Wants' can come later. This, applies to most areas in life. But particularly to 'living in the bush'. 10 years back when we were looking for land, I'd dearly have loved to buy a couple of thousand acres........but there is no way we could afford that and still be reasonably close to work. (the further Outback you go in Australia, the cheaper land per acre, gets.........) So we settled on 11 acres just outside a small village, which is within an hours drive for both our jobs.

The land around here is old gold diggins and exceptionally impoverished.... (the front paddock looks like a B52 bombing raid hit it) But we've put in no-dig gardens and water harvesting systems, the stove and hot water both run off LPG. We have wood heating and more timber than you can poke a stick at. We're buying a 5kw Solar system to cut out our power bills. This can be also used as a 'stand alone' system. Meat-wise there are rabbits and kangaroo, plus the odd deer. I head up into the Great Divide deer hunting a few times each year. We are by no means 'self-sufficent' as neither of us has the 'time'...........but we do have 'money'.

This nexus; is one that most people wanting to 'live off the land' have to face eventually. Being 'self sufficient' requires a hell of a lot of 'time'...........time which then eats into the amount of hours you can work for 'paid money'. I've known people who have 'dropped out' and 'gone alternative' but it is a hard row to hoe for most. They end up 'time rich and money poor'. Most eventually end up making 'compromises' after an initial 'idealistic' first energetic outburst of 'alternative living'.

For example, decades back I figgered 'horsepower' was the way to go.... and used a Clydesdale pretty much as my ancestors would have done 100 years ago. But believe me, there is Good Reason 'why' when tractors first came in, that farmers swiftly dropped their nags for a different kind of horsepower. Tractors and trucks can sit in the shed for months, unused..........until you need them. Horses mules & oxen, need care & feeding 24/7, 365 days of the year. However, having the skills and apptiude to use horses and horse drawn eqpt. if/when the SHTF, is a very useful 'plan B' !!

Vehicles? All of mine are 'old school'..........i.e. 'no- electronic- nuthin !!' The diesel powered Landrover is just a simple turbo diesel, no computers, just plain injectors. Starts up first time, every time and does me fine. Likewise the old 77 model FJ45 Toyota Landcruiser. Just a big block 4.2L petrol motor. Sits under a big old greybox tree untill I need it.......and it starts first time every time... cosst me a dollar a day to keep on the road, and doesn't owe me a cent. I also have a 30 year R65 BMW road bike, which also doesn't owe me anything...............so if one breaks down, I always have an 'alternative'. Its the old Army 'plan A......plan B.......plan C' deal. Its good to have 'choices' and 'backup plans'...............

good luck with your plans......its a GOOD way to live if you can swing it !!

ps/ if you want to know about knife making , 'Winter' is the fella to contact !!

regards,

Harry.
    "use enough gun......"

Banned

Welcome! You seem like a genuine, well-rounded and accomplished individual. Thanks for joining these forums. See ya around!

howdy and welcome.