Buying through this banner helps support the forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: IDIOTIC gun stuph..........

  1. #41

    Default

    I think cops have far too much power, which at least a decent number of them abuse. They also get payed pretty good, every single episode i've seen on the tv show cops(and i've seen a lot) they start off talking about how much they love their job etc..."Police officers in the United States earn an average annual salary of $51410" that's a nice chunk of change. Over $4k a month...so I don't feel bad for them at all.

    What I don't understand is the concept that a guy who just got out of highschool, can take police training a few weeks/months, given a badge and a gun and from then on he has the power to ruin peoples day and lives, and they have to follow all his barking and even if he does something wrong there's little chance you'll be reimbursed, unless you have proof(which is why so many cops are against you filming them, think about *that* if they had nothing to hide as public servants they wouldn't be arresting people for it)

    There are 32,700,000 results on google for "police brutality" and most don't realize this but a cop can arrest you, and hold you in jail for 48 hours without even charging you with anything...supreme court also ruled recently that cops can strip search anyone they arrest in jails, regardless if its for a parking ticket or whatever else...they have WAY too much power and they're the primary reason marijuana isn't legalized. They fight it tooth and jail every time a bill regarding it comes up, because if they can't bust those dangerous college kids consuming marijuana to meet their monthly quota(And you better believe cops have quotas) then what? It's job security for them, and there have been many police precincts, the entire things, shut down for corruption.............

    I can tell you ridiculous story after story of cops killing etc.. that I read and the DA completely ignoring it. In fact one that comes to mind is a cop shows up to her ex wifes house, while off duty, shoots her boyfriend something like 24 times(and idk about you but i never heard of a 24 round clip so he clearly had to reload), claims self defense, and the DA found the cop innocent...so this same guy goes transfers beats the snot out of some kid for not tucking in his shirt(it was filmed on camera), and then eventually he ended up raping some woman...when he finally went to trial for the latter the video of the kid thing surfaced. So you see, these kind of stories are common, DA don't seem to do anything when it comes to police, they get a free pass way too much.

    The only way to fix this is federally and state wise make it written clearly and without confusion that people ARE allowed to film cops in public, since apparently constitution isn't good enough for them to stop arresting people over it. I also think cops should have camera and mics on them at all times to monitor what they're doing, for the peoples safety first and foremost and theres after. Imagine if no one filmed the Rodney king beatings...

    Also keep this in mind, a cop and retired cop can carry a concealed weapon just about anywhere in the US regardless of state regulations. I can find the reference for anything i've claimed if someone needs it.
    Last edited by MichMetal; 05-13-2012 at 04:13 AM.


  2. #42
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    38,348
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichMetal View Post
    I think cops have far too much power, which at least a decent number of them abuse. They also get payed pretty good, every single episode i've seen on the tv show cops(and i've seen a lot) they start off talking about how much they love their job etc..."Police officers in the United States earn an average annual salary of $51410" that's a nice chunk of change. Over $4k a month...so I don't feel bad for them at all.

    What I don't understand is the concept that a guy who just got out of highschool, can take police training a few weeks/months, given a badge and a gun and from then on he has the power to ruin peoples day and lives, and they have to follow all his barking and even if he does something wrong there's little chance you'll be reimbursed, unless you have proof(which is why so many cops are against you filming them, think about *that* if they had nothing to hide as public servants they wouldn't be arresting people for it)

    There are 32,700,000 results on google for "police brutality" and most don't realize this but a cop can arrest you, and hold you in jail for 48 hours without even charging you with anything...supreme court also ruled recently that cops can strip search anyone they arrest in jails, regardless if its for a parking ticket or whatever else...they have WAY too much power and they're the primary reason marijuana isn't legalized. They fight it tooth and jail every time a bill regarding it comes up, because if they can't bust those dangerous college kids consuming marijuana to meet their monthly quota(And you better believe cops have quotas) then what? It's job security for them, and there have been many police precincts, the entire things, shut down for corruption.............

    I can tell you ridiculous story after story of cops killing etc.. that I read and the DA completely ignoring it. In fact one that comes to mind is a cop shows up to her ex wifes house, while off duty, shoots her boyfriend something like 24 times(and idk about you but i never heard of a 24 round clip so he clearly had to reload), claims self defense, and the DA found the cop innocent...so this same guy goes transfers beats the snot out of some kid for not tucking in his shirt(it was filmed on camera), and then eventually he ended up raping some woman...when he finally went to trial for the latter the video of the kid thing surfaced. So you see, these kind of stories are common, DA don't seem to do anything when it comes to police, they get a free pass way too much.

    The only way to fix this is federally and state wise make it written clearly and without confusion that people ARE allowed to film cops in public, since apparently constitution isn't good enough for them to stop arresting people over it. I also think cops should have camera and mics on them at all times to monitor what they're doing, for the peoples safety first and foremost and theres after. Imagine if no one filmed the Rodney king beatings...

    Also keep this in mind, a cop and retired cop can carry a concealed weapon just about anywhere in the US regardless of state regulations. I can find the reference for anything i've claimed if someone needs it.
    I know that you are young, so your perspective and mine may be a little different. Here are a few points that I'd like to make regarding your comments.

    1. Sometimes people abuse positions of authority. Being in law enforcement is no exception, but I would venture a guess that the instances of it occurring there are lower than in many other professions.

    2. The pay received isn't bad in some departments and less than stellar in others, but if you were to include the following in their job description it might seem like it is not nearly enough. (intentionally place yourself in harms way every day.........deal with people that would rather hurt you than talk to you every day.......never walk away from a fight, but rather put yourself in the middle of every one you see.......get called a killer after a drug related shooting in a bad neighborhood, but receive no help from the residents that witnessed it all......and on, and on)

    3. Not sure about the just out of high school comment - here you need a college degree, the police academy training can be rather intense.

    4. The number of returns on Google may not be a good indicator of reality. Google shows about the some number of hits for "dog bites man" as it does for "man bites dog". Does that mean there are just as many people biting dogs as there are dogs biting people?

    5. Strip search before you are placed in a jail cell? Thank goodness. While not really pleasant to talk about - people do "hide" things on and in their person.

    6. Police arrest people. Prosecutors charge people. Courts try people. Juries decide the innocence or guilt of people based on the evidence.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 05-13-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  3. #43
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    49,830

    Default

    That $51k gets to pay for uniforms, bullet proof vests, firearms, belt, flashlight, boots and any other gear an LEO wishes to carry in many departments. Some may receive a clothing allowance and some may be issued firearms but most get to fund it themselves. The vest alone can be several hundred dollars and has a relatively short life span then it has to be replaced.

    Personally, I think LEO are underpaid. For that money I get to go to sleep at night knowing they are patrolling my neighborhood, taking down bad guys, arresting drunk drivers and generally being verbally and physically abused by those they have to deal with.

    When I graduated high school the Ford dealer in my hometown happened to be on the State Police Board so I stopped by and talked to him. Yes, he could get me on provided I passed the academy. I'd have to serve a year on the Chicago toll roads then he could get me transferred if I wanted. He handed me an application and I went home. After thinking about it for a while I decided being shot at for $21,000 (the starting salary at the time) just wasn't worth it.

    May I suggest you stop by your local police department and ask them if you can ride along with them for a couple of nights? You will learn first hand what they have to deal with and might have a different perspective when done. Right now, all you know is what you've read, which may or may not be true.

  4. #44
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    16,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichMetal View Post
    I think cops have far too much power, which at least a decent number of them abuse. They also get payed pretty good, every single episode i've seen on the tv show cops(and i've seen a lot) they start off talking about how much they love their job etc..."Police officers in the United States earn an average annual salary of $51410" that's a nice chunk of change. Over $4k a month...so I don't feel bad for them at all.

    What I don't understand is the concept that a guy who just got out of highschool, can take police training a few weeks/months, given a badge and a gun and from then on he has the power to ruin peoples day and lives, and they have to follow all his barking and even if he does something wrong there's little chance you'll be reimbursed, unless you have proof(which is why so many cops are against you filming them, think about *that* if they had nothing to hide as public servants they wouldn't be arresting people for it)

    There are 32,700,000 results on google for "police brutality" and most don't realize this but a cop can arrest you, and hold you in jail for 48 hours without even charging you with anything...supreme court also ruled recently that cops can strip search anyone they arrest in jails, regardless if its for a parking ticket or whatever else...they have WAY too much power and they're the primary reason marijuana isn't legalized. They fight it tooth and jail every time a bill regarding it comes up, because if they can't bust those dangerous college kids consuming marijuana to meet their monthly quota(And you better believe cops have quotas) then what? It's job security for them, and there have been many police precincts, the entire things, shut down for corruption.............

    I can tell you ridiculous story after story of cops killing etc.. that I read and the DA completely ignoring it. In fact one that comes to mind is a cop shows up to her ex wifes house, while off duty, shoots her boyfriend something like 24 times(and idk about you but i never heard of a 24 round clip so he clearly had to reload), claims self defense, and the DA found the cop innocent...so this same guy goes transfers beats the snot out of some kid for not tucking in his shirt(it was filmed on camera), and then eventually he ended up raping some woman...when he finally went to trial for the latter the video of the kid thing surfaced. So you see, these kind of stories are common, DA don't seem to do anything when it comes to police, they get a free pass way too much.

    The only way to fix this is federally and state wise make it written clearly and without confusion that people ARE allowed to film cops in public, since apparently constitution isn't good enough for them to stop arresting people over it. I also think cops should have camera and mics on them at all times to monitor what they're doing, for the peoples safety first and foremost and theres after. Imagine if no one filmed the Rodney king beatings...

    Also keep this in mind, a cop and retired cop can carry a concealed weapon just about anywhere in the US regardless of state regulations. I can find the reference for anything i've claimed if someone needs it.
    You really need to get out more........If your references are Google and watching cops show on TV, and come to the conclusions you have just posted....is really a scary thought.
    Sadly I sure you are not alone...that's even scarier.
    Why don't you print out that last post, put it some where, then take it out 10 years from now and read it.....and see if you still agree.
    Just a suggestion.
    Survival isn't a game...it's what you do when the game goes sideways.

  5. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    You really need to get out more........If your references are Google and watching cops show on TV, and come to the conclusions you have just posted....is really a scary thought.
    Sadly I sure you are not alone...that's even scarier.
    Why don't you print out that last post, put it some where, then take it out 10 years from now and read it.....and see if you still agree.
    Just a suggestion.
    I've dealt with cops, some friendly, some not. The reality is they have too much power, you guys can argue their job is dangerous etc...but that's what they sign up for. Usually it's the unarmed person they're tazing, beating, shooting at, I feel bad for, not the cops...They typically get to break the speed limits, get free food and other things from businesses, walk around with a gun and every right, where as the general public have none. In court it'd be your word against theirs, and that's not at all fair. In the tv show cops they try and play the buddy angle constantly so that the poor sick drug addicts(as drug addiction is a sickness) can tell them things and the cops can charge them with everything they can think of...felonies included. Why do they do that? because they know most of it won't stick in court, and they're trying to meet their quota.

    I see one episode where cops, who were very proud of themselves, decided to put a $4000 Mercedes bicycle out near a store and catch anyone who tried to steal it. Why so much? So they can charge them with a felony............................you cheer and respect that? I do NOT.

    You guys can insult me all you like, claim i'm younger therefore I don't know what i'm talking about, but while I like you, would love to think all cops are fair, reasonable, hard working men just trying to do their job, that's not the case and I hope for all of your sakes you don't have to run into the cops that are beating people and arresting them for little to no reason. There's a good number that are ego maniacs that are desperate to have you bow and cater to their power trip non-sense, and if you don't? Watch out. As I said before entire presincts have been shutdown for corruption, that's the entire thing...not just a few cops, all of them...justify that please. Too many people have been killed by cops with no recourse, too many people have been violated and their lives ruins by cops with no recourse. There's a reason they're SO against you filming then, because then it exposes their abuse, flat out. And sadly it's the only weapon the people have.

    Granted there are decent cops out there, but the reality is, even for them, they have too much power, and the only way to fix this is again have them recorded at all times.

    BTW when I went to college for a bit for criminal justice(same courses cops take) college = state cops, and highschool = regular cops.
    Last edited by MichMetal; 05-13-2012 at 09:56 PM.

  6. #46
    Senior Member kyratshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe
    Posts
    4,968

    Default

    M&M you need to get a grip and get in touch with some reality.

    No one here said there were no bad cops.

    But your points are mostly without merit. If someone steals a bike they have stolen a bike. Retail cost of the bike is of no reguard. They stole the bike, or car or tiller or anything else they can get their hands on.

    As far as recording their every move???? Ever hear of a cruiser-cam? Almost all of the patrol vehicles are equipped with them now as a method of protecting the cops from unmerited abuse accusations.

    The police in most urban areas are now required to have college drgrees for employment. Within six months of being hired they must go to the state training academy and pass the course for retention. It is not an easy course of study and it is the same for every officer in the state. This is the law in most states because it is tied to their federal funding.

    Abuse of power can be an issue, but it is not a universal problem. I was a teacher for 35 years. There are teachers that abuse their authority, but not all of them do, and you can sue their socks off if they do, just like you can a cop.

    In my area cops start off at just a hair over $20,000 per year, and we are cutting positions due to budget constraints. You think the uniformed guys are a problem? Wait till you have to deal with a possie of volunteers equipped with pitchforks, torches and an old rope!
    A person often meets his destiny while walking the path he took to avoid it.

  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

    The police in most urban areas are now required to have college drgrees for employment. Within six months of being hired they must go to the state training academy and pass the course for retention.
    Citation? And get in touch with reality? Ok let's do that

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

    Any questions?

  8. #48
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    49,830

    Default

    Yes. I have a lot of questions. Do you know who injusticeeverywhere.com is? Are they a reliable source of information? Do they have an underlying agenda? Are there other sources for the same data and do the numbers match? How many arrests are made each day nationwide and what percentage do the numbers above represent. How is the information gathered and what is the criteria for determining "misconduct". Simply siting some random numbers from an obscure website offers nothing of substance. My suggestion still stands. See if you can do a ride along. You are trying to support a position you have no actual first hand knowledge of, which means you really know nothing about the subject.

  9. #49
    Senior Member natertot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    2,329

    Default

    MM

    1: Do a ride along, it will open your eyes.
    2: People make mistakes, no one is perfect. Cops are people, too. Do the math.
    3: Most aren't "right out of high school" since you have to be 21 to be a cop.
    4: If you are just out of high school at 21, you probably wouldn't make it through the academy.
    5: I know that poster is bogus just by the taser stats. No one has died because of being tased. They have died becaused of a pre-existing condition or other injuries.
    6:50k a year might be average salery, but you have to look at cost of living where alot of them are. I know Police Cheifs that make less than half that.
    7: In regards to your bike sting, I hate theifs. If someone is dumb enough to steel a 4k dollar bike regardless of who leaves it there, they are dumb enough to be charged with a felony.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

  10. #50
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    49,830

    Default

    And you do know that Cops, which you are basing your argument on, is edited for television entertainment right? They put the show together to attract viewers, which sells advertising space, which is what they are really trying to attain....money. How entertaining is it to watch 30 minutes of a show where cops unlock car doors or try to explain to some old lady that they aren't a taxi service? Wouldn't last very long would it? But an old fashioned beat down will keep you entertained. Kind of sad statement on the intelligence of viewers, really. Not much different that the Roman Colosseum. Toss in a lion or two...now that's entertainment!

  11. #51
    Senior Member natertot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    2,329

    Default

    +1 Rick! I work security along with police in a very sketchy part of town. I probably have 30-50 little things per a major thing. What is really hard is unlocking someones car, then dealing with a violent person, then turn around and be compassionate to a lady who was beat by her boyfriend. It is very difficult changing your emotions on a dime.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

  12. #52
    Resident Wildman Wildthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,043

    Default

    Well I'll tell you that if I was a cop, not making squat for a living, and putting up with all the scumbags of society, I would eventually get tired of dealing with those people, and would probably get pretty rough with them. I would think that dealing with low lifes year after year would tend to make you a heartless SOB. I know it would for me!
    So you have to look at the good they do, to be able to understand the bad! I would hate to live in a society that had no law enforcement!

  13. #53
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    16,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    You really need to get out more........If your references are Google and watching cops show on TV, and come to the conclusions you have just posted....is really a scary thought.
    Sadly I sure you are not alone...that's even scarier.
    Why don't you print out that last post, put it some where, then take it out 10 years from now and read it.....and see if you still agree.
    Just a suggestion.
    You appear to a a man with a mission, so I gonna repeat this post......
    Over and out.
    Survival isn't a game...it's what you do when the game goes sideways.

  14. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Well I'll tell you that if I was a cop, not making squat for a living, and putting up with all the scumbags of society, I would eventually get tired of dealing with those people, and would probably get pretty rough with them. I would think that dealing with low lifes year after year would tend to make you a heartless SOB. I know it would for me!
    So you have to look at the good they do, to be able to understand the bad! I would hate to live in a society that had no law enforcement!
    No offense but that's really why you shouldn't be a cop, nor why cops should have the power they have. They should NOT be able to get rough with someone because they're tired of their job...that's disgusting and unacceptable, because if someone where to try and defend themselves that's a felony. BTW these "low lifes" you're speaking of, everyone has ups and downs in their lives, but at the end of day we're all people, no better or worse than another.

    To those trying to ignore the stats and claim the tv show cops is edited unfairly, are you kidding me? The shows been on like 20+ years and cops wouldn't stand for that. In fact There was a story recently where a guy who had a helment cam got pulled over by a cop while riding his motorcycle, cop with gun drawn, in regular cloths who took his sweet time even telling the guy he was a cop. few days later he decided to upload the video to youtube, and guess what that cop did? He came to this guys house, arrested him, confiscated his computers and the guys charged with a felony. Here's the article for any who care

    http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/19/m...-gun-with-hel/

    There are tons of stories similar to this, cops are absolutely out of control, and IDC if in your guys lil bubble the local sheriff is a good guy, i'm happy for you, but it's a big nation, and more and more of these stories are popping up. You guys can defend cops all you want, and ignore all the people getting abusedby them, that's entirely your choice, but that doesn't change reality, or fix anything. If you're fine with the thought that your mom, wife, grandma, kids, cousins, etc...can be roughed up by a cop or have their life turned upside down because the cops having a bad day, or because they have a "tough job" you go ahead, I am not. With great power comes great responsibility, and car cams are not enough they need to have cameras on their person at ALL times, for citizens protection first and foremost and theirs afterwards.

    I think really though, people continue to ignore the abuse for whatever reason so the state and gov continue to make it worse. Flown recently? Hope you enjoy getting groped and violated by TSA agents...they have a "stressful job" you see, so that's OK right? Don't worry TSA coming to a town near you in bus and train stations soon too. Oh and it doesn't end there, by 2015 I believe ALL new cars will have blackboxes in them, so the gov can monitor where you're going, remember it's for your "security", and they have a "stressful job", so it's justified.

    http://venturebeat.com/2012/04/19/black-boxes-for-cars/

    Land of the free, unless the powers that be have stressful jobs, then they can abuse everyone at all, cause that makes sense? Whatever no point continuing this, you guys are clearly bias and want to focus on just your bubbles, and defend non-sense.
    Last edited by MichMetal; 05-14-2012 at 02:00 PM.

  15. #55
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    38,348
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichMetal View Post
    Whatever no point continuing this, ...............
    This I actually agree with. Before it gets out of hand I think it is time to close this thread. Please.......do not let any hard feelings caused here spill out into other threads. Thank you.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  16. #56
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    49,830

    Default

    I got groped by TSA once. Best 27 seconds I'd had in a long time. I gave the guy my phone number. Just sayin'.....

    I'd like to see a cop throw mom to the ground. She was the body slam champion 4 years running. Even at 80 she could whip a 75 year old any day of the week. When I was a kid I used to practice my baseball swing by smacking her in the stomach with my Louisville slugger. She was tough.

  17. #57
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    49,830

    Default

    When one person tells you that you are wrong, don't worry about it. When two people tell you that you are wrong you might want to rethink your position. When everyone tells you that you are wrong maybe you are actually wrong.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •