Thread: Tobacco Tea?

Default Tobacco Tea?

I just watched the 1954 version of the movie "Robinson Crusoe" starring Dan O'Herlihy. When he was ill, he put a hand-ground tobacco leaf into a liquid (water?) and drank it. Is there a therapeutic reason for doing thata or is it just early Hollywood? Side note: When I was quite young, I tried my first chew. The older boys told me to swallow the juice it would make me high. Oh, it did alright, about a foot above the commode.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Old remedy for worms in some animals.....NOT recommended.....
    The "Story Hour" at the library, for 5 year olds was never the same when I brought a "borrowed" can of "snuess"........ and wasn't asked back.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

However, tobacco can be used as a poultice for some skin conditions and severe bruising. It does have medical benefits if used correctly. I sure wouldn't want to drink tobacco tea, I imagine that would be unpleasant.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

nicotine poisoning can kill, not sure what amounts.

You can develop a tolerance to tobacco juice but the process isn't pleasant. I knew quite a few welders off-shore who never spit - just swallowed it. Strangely, I could chew and swallow if (and only if) I was drinking Dr. Pepper at the time. Any other time, if just a little tobacco juice got to the back of my throat, it would make me gag. Swallowing it would make be both high (dizzy) and nauseous.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.