Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: I met a neat group that's living it.

What your every day routine like?

The sun wakes me up with the first light of the day. Or is it the morning chorus of our wilderness song birds? I read my bible, then walk the 200 yards to our "bark lodge" where we cook meals together. On the way to the Bark Lodge I cross Squeaky Frog branch. We park our empty h20 jugs there. On the way up I fill one or two and carry them up to Bark Lodge. Being a Morning person More times than not I'm the first to get to the lodge.
    @ the lodge I chop some fire wood into large kindling (max size*) if I/we are gonna build a (*smokeless) fire in the inside fire pit- which we do if it's raining, or the ground is wet from recent rain. If the conditions are nice we use a bit bigger fire wood at our outdoor fire pit adjacent the lodge. When the wood is prepped I hand drill a coal to start the fire if our banked coals burned out in the night. Typically whoever gets the fire going notifies the rest of the community there's fire by yodeling or blowing the conch shell. We cook and have breakfast together, or dinner as it's the same process regarding the fire. After breakfast everyone goes they're own way around the property/forest to work on what they need/want. Occasionally we have a group project we come together to work on such as recently we reroofed the/with peeled Poplar bark roofing of the bark lodge. Most days folk are working on personal projects. Hide tanning, trap making, black smithing, gardening, cutting logs in the national forest and dragging back to camp to split up, gathering medicinal herbs- an endless list. I say guh-night to the group at last light and head for my bed where I read till or slightly after dark. ZZzzzzZZzzzZZzz

Are weekdays different from weekends?
    No! Kinda funny but often I don't even know what day it is! However Thursdays are a big day. We go into town to use the library internet, browse the second hand and thrift stores etc. Sundays are a big day as well. I head out for church and the rest of the group drives to a GREAT sunday flea market. Last week I scored a set of insulated Carhart coveralls that fit like a glove for $5- no rips or tears, just faded!

What's your set up as far as living quarters?
    I live in a small wood shack a previous resident built out of salvaged lumber. It's not much, but it's a comfortable place to sleep. It has a tin roof, and Wattle & Daub walls. It's nice to have the salvage windows to let some light in. Interior dimensions are 8' x 10' at the most, if that. Old cast iron wood stove provides the heat.

What's your favorite aspect of living like this and the least favorite?
    MY favorite aspect is the efficiency! I mean it's ALOT of work, but it's pleasurable, feels-good kind of work with the chopping wood, toting water, dragging logs etc. etc.- but I need VERY LITTLE money. My only pay-outs are vehicle insurance & fuel and a bit of "play money" thrown in for thrift stores, fleas market etc. I also like that my life IS MINE. We all wake with a plan of attack for the day. This for the vast majority of us is mostly influenced by others peoples agendas & demands Such as our boss, meetings socials etc. I'm, for the first time living my OWN life. Such as I need to begin thinking about winter, meat stores which in my area mean Deer & Beer Hunts. I need to Knap out some arrow heads. And re-tiller my bow, prolly I'll make a new string. Well These things are my "demands" for tomorrow. If I wake up tomorrow and find a nice tree has fell in the forest I might instantly begin sawing the nice dry wood into manageable lengths to drag back to camp to stock up on wood for the winter. Or if a friend stops by and let's me know he just hit a Ground Hog on the road nearby I may drop my "demands" and go skin the thing and tan the hide to make new soles for my moccasins....

I love how I am free to navigate my daily life with the ebb & flow of the natural sensibilities that each unique day presents- in the moment.

Least favorite aspect for me is I find myself missing the "quick fixes" that modern society offers when I'm REALLY tired or especially sick. Like currently I'm dealing with a sinus infection, causing great lethargy headaches and a sore throat. Feel yucky and weak.

If I were back in the world- I'd put a kettle on the electric stovetop to make hot water for some nice tea, pretty quick, easy and near effortless. Maybe call in a pizza delivery. But in the woods I likely forgo the tea because it requires chopping wood, toting water, creating a friction fire and well I think I'll just lie down and nap tealess and hungry!!!!

I'm in AL visiting my dad over Fathers day weekend. Thats why I can/am on here so much right now.

Thanks!
    Last edited by TresMon; 06-16-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Thank you very much for the update!
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

Banned

Just curious,

Do you take technology out there to post on here -- or come back into "society" to post? Either way, cool stuff and take care!

In the red text I had said:

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    Thursdays are a big day. We go into town to use the library internet, browse the second hand and thrift stores etc. Sundays are a big [/I][/COLOR]

I'm in AL visiting my dad over Fathers day weekend. Thats why I can/am on here so much right now.

Thanks!
    Then I had put that black text part in too...
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."