Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: I met a neat group that's living it.

That's sad.

My friends and I wished to learn a bit on the side of food production and conservation. More advanced and permanent shelter-building skills would've been nice too.

How cold does Wisconsin get in winter?

Update:

Hello everyone, I been away- in the woods. I have been living with these folk I spoke of in the op. Every day is a learning experience!!

We have worked on fire wood (without any help from liquid fuel or electricity= cross cut saws) Skinned and butchered & ate Deer and Beaver. We have washed and sterilized all the empty canning jars. I have worked on my shelter site which is a nice 200' elevation climb from the main camp/work area.
    We cooked every meal over open flame, parboiling, roasting or frying in bear fat.

We have made primitive music, worked in forest gardens and recon'd secret areas for special camps. I have bathed in the mtn. stream a few times. It was SO COLD I had two navels by the time I got out. I'm tired; the coyotes rallying woke me up 4 times last night. They were, I assume calling in their pack to feast on the deer carcass we left on the back side of the Mtn.

I have a hide soaking in a lye solution. It is slated to be brain tanned and end up a Loin-Hong garment for the coming hot season. I saw a spring black bear too.

The salamanders are out and are the buds.

I miss being on here so much but glad to out there living it. I'll report back with stories and pics as I can.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Now, you're living it too, TM!
    Good for you, glad you're getting the experience.

Tresman Re Semper Fi
    It is amazing how few people talk or perhaps even know of composting toilets. They are a real boon to water tables and other sensative to bacteria features. As to driving, why not? Insurance shows responsability and the object is to live simply BUT responsiblely. The problem is that so many people MUST have a cell phone and all the toys. I also applaude their low profile. Anything higher is going to disrupt the whole effort
    Are you uncomfortable about financial crisis, political turmoil, senseless riots, oppressive government and other world anxieties? Can our world be sustained? For a limited time see “Operation Phoenix” at www.AllenCurrie.ca for a free peek at a probable future. Quote -“A must read. If there ever was a story that predicted a very possible future this is it.”
    Limited time free read at http://www.allencurrie.ca/

TRESMON - " ... Skinned and butchered & ate Deer and Beaver. ... or frying in bear fat.

... the coyotes ... were, I assume calling in their pack to feast on the deer carcass we left on the back side of the Mtn."
    Just curious here. Are the deer, Black bear, and beaver seasons still open in the State (N.C.? Tenn.?) where the commune is located, at this time of the year??

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 03-15-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Correct typo.

Great to have you back! I'm glad you had a safe and joyful journey.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks Mr. Currie.

SM,
    & all, please refrain from referring to it as a commune, it is not. The Deer & beaver were fresh road kill. As a Moral & ethical (Christian) person I observe the hunting rules.
    Thanks,
    Tres

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Good to hear it 's working out for ya....sounds intresting.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Glad you are enjoying your time spent with the group. Sounds like you are learning from each other.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Tres
    Isn't it also curious how the rural habits of sharing and helping are morphed into commune which has negative connotations in many N American minds.

And it is Allen despite my advanced age. Grin
    Are you uncomfortable about financial crisis, political turmoil, senseless riots, oppressive government and other world anxieties? Can our world be sustained? For a limited time see “Operation Phoenix” at www.AllenCurrie.ca for a free peek at a probable future. Quote -“A must read. If there ever was a story that predicted a very possible future this is it.”

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    Thanks Mr. Currie.

SM,
    & all, please refrain from referring to it as a commune, it is not.
    The Deer & beaver were fresh road kill. As a Moral & ethical (Christian) person I observe the hunting rules.
    I always strive to please. "Group" it is.

Glad no one is poaching. I know of a few "groups" back in the late '60s and '70s who had no problem with poaching deer and other game. It was a "Screw authority!," thing with them.

Best of luck with your new found friends.

S.M.

Glad for you. Wish I could join.

Keep us updated!

Well Tres, are you going to stay with them forever, or is this just a learning mission? Wouldn't blame you for staying if you like it, and it fits your lifestyle! We have been missin ya buddy!

I would like to stay long term is all I know for now.
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Thanks,
    Tres

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'm not real up on Crown land, but it would be an important part of your planning. I have read that Canadian citizens can build non-permanent structures, but can only stay for 21 days in the same location. Not sure if new Crown Leases are still available or you would have to purchase an existing one. There was a fellow on here a while back that was looking to sell his. He had a great set up, but it wasn't cheap to buy or to maintain.
    You seem to be talking about Ontario. It varies from province to province. But even in Ontario one can get a permit to occupy for specific reasons such as mining or logging, etc. Then you can avoid moving 100 meters every 21 days. But still the buildings must be mobile. If you are say, thinking of a mine you get a specific permit to prospect or develop. Once you have done a specific development you will be offered a lease (Read expensive) and you can either accept or leave.

Other provinces have things like homesteading programs. In others it is quite easy to lease almost anywhere and fairly cheaply. Downside is that few can exist/live on that particular patch of rock.
    Allen

Payne
    Read some of your previous posts which tended to deal with each person being paid the same regardless of occupation. You should study Robert Owen, a brilliant person and businessman. Way ahead of his time. He refused to employ children under 14 (a common practice at the time.) and instead insisted that the children of his employees be educated. He paid a living wage which produced unbelievable productivity. People fought, in one case to the death, for the opportunity to work for him.

Eventually, to avoid local naysayers and laws, he sold his London knitting mills and took the machinery to Salt Lake Utah where he started a city. He set up the worlds very first commune. Marx and Engels based their thoughts on his work, but they tweaked it to "correct" the problems he encountered. Then the politicians selected those parts they wanted and discarded the rest. (The usual way with politicians.) We got what we now know as communism. (commune-ism)

In the meantime his commune established a pay scale called an hour. A tailers hour was equal to anyone elses hour, a laborer or a doctor. Nor did that hour take into consideration efficiency. They soon lost all the more skilled workers and eventually the experiment failed The "city" was abandoned to go on to a very colorful future by various religiius groups

Allen

Tresmon
    Good on ya. Follow your heart, there and elsewhere.
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Currie Author View Post
    Payne
    Read some of your previous posts which tended to deal with each person being paid the same regardless of occupation. You should study Robert Owen, a brilliant person and businessman. Way ahead of his time. He refused to employ children under 14 (a common practice at the time.) and instead insisted that the children of his employees be educated. He paid a living wage which produced unbelievable productivity. People fought, in one case to the death, for the opportunity to work for him.

Eventually, to avoid local naysayers and laws, he sold his London knitting mills and took the machinery to Salt Lake Utah where he started a city. He set up the worlds very first commune. Marx and Engels based their thoughts on his work, but they tweaked it to "correct" the problems he encountered. Then the politicians selected those parts they wanted and discarded the rest. (The usual way with politicians.) We got what we now know as communism. (commune-ism)

In the meantime his commune established a pay scale called an hour. A tailers hour was equal to anyone elses hour, a laborer or a doctor. Nor did that hour take into consideration efficiency. They soon lost all the more skilled workers and eventually the experiment failed The "city" was abandoned to go on to a very colorful future by various religiius groups

Allen
    Looks like a good read. I'll write it down, and see if I can find some books in the libraries I'll find while travelling.

I moved in! Been there 7 weeks now........
    Thanks,
    Tres

Default Tell us more.

TM, just curious...
    What your every day routine like?
    Are weekdays different from weekends?
    What's your set up as far as living quarters?
    What's your favorite aspect of living like this and the least favorite?