Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I met a neat group that's living it.

Default I met a neat group that's living it.

I'm sure that by the end of my yarn there will be many various opinions here but....

I met a neat primitive skills group thats living it as much as they can. They are living on 30 acre's that borders a VAST national forest. There is a pristine mountain stream that flows out of the Nat. forest right through their property. They are the only ones that live of the water shed.

They live in little "wattle & dob" shacks. That is sapling woven walled structures "dobbed" full of clay then the outside is skim coated or "plastered" over entirely with clay mud. They have have dirt floors and peeled poplar bark roofs. The things are pretty air tight and flea market bought or rock-made wood stoves provide heat.

They just do skills day in and day out or have a slow day if they feel like it- just like the natives did or so I read. They are learning "full survival" together as a slow, enjoyable journey. To supplement their food for now they have a dumpster diving "circuit" they go on monthly or so an end up with "way more food than they know what to do with." They showed me a 5 gallon bucket full of organic & medicinal tea packets they pulled out of one dumpster- all still in the plastic wraps- perfectly good. They are slowly tapering off the dumpster foods.

I asked them what they do for income and they explained that except for just fuel for vehicles and insurance on same- they simply just do not need money. Each member is asked to put $15 in the pot montly- this to cover the property tax for the year and typically fuels the dumpster raiding vehicle for the year, and pays for the land line tele. There's no electricity but a phone is available for member use. Internet is 15 minutes away by road at the library. They explained that the random odd job keeps them in "PLENTY" of money per their way of life.

They tote water from the creek, garden the few level spots and cut/process fire wood manually- starting with cross cut saws. They have folks in the area that drop off good road kill too. The bear hunters appreciate them allowing them to use their land to access the Nat. Forest and typically give them at least two whole bears a year. From what I saw there was a MOUNTAIN of canned foods (LOTS of canned meat), condiments and cooking ingredients all sourced form hunters donations, road kill and dumpsters.

You may or may not agree on how they are getting by, but no one can argue that they are not incredibly resourceful and have ADAPTEd and learned to get by COMFORTABLE on nearly ZERO cash flow.

It's not a fly by night operation either- they have been at it for 12 years. Some come and stay a while and go but a few of them have been there for the whole time. One person lived there for a few years and went on to start a successful wilderness survival school that is doing well today.

i told them I had picked up a wall tent and was looking to move in the forest near them on private property. They invited me to come and stay on a temporary basis with their group and if we all clicked for me to stay a good long time- an offer I will likely take them up on.
    Last edited by TresMon; 01-21-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, 的 am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Default Whatever floats their boat

If it's legal, it doesn't hurt anyone and they're happy, why not?

I think its cool!
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

I'm glad that they are living the way they want to

That's incredible. Someday....someday.......

Thats wonderful ... I have a 78 yr old friend that being doing "almost" the same thin since 1981 ... he has converted a shipping container that he lives quite comfortably inside of .. it has steel plates that drop down over the windows and doors as well ! well armored !! .. has bathtub gardens .. has over 5 tons of stored foods ..live in the middle of nowhere but doesnt do dumpster raids as there simply arent any around here . I am almost as ready as him ... I could do without cash totally if need be as could he ... its a very comforting feeling .. Believe me !
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

Yeah what blew me away is that that no one hunts or traps. They said that if I was a "responsible" hunter/trapper all the better they'd like to learn.
    Thanks,
    Tres

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

Jesus answered, 的 am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

A member here pm'd me and asked me what the rank/supervisory structure is like. After I sent my response I thought I would post it here:

The supervisory structure is basically "family." There's no boss. If you don't REALLY get along with everyone on a short term visit (living there a few months) your asked to leave by the whole.

I mean the one man that has been there the longest is kinda like the "elder" that is looked to. He openly states:
    "Im NOT the boss. I may have been here the longest and know the general flow the best and what we're after, but I'm not the boss."

It does not seem to be a disciplined based system rather a responsibility based system. That is folks that get to stay are the "chip in and help out type" that don't have to be asked. If somebody empties one of the glass gallon water jugs, they automatically go and fill it in the creek. But- if somebody stops by the community hut and see's a jug is empty, even though they didn't empty it- they go fill it. It's a step up to the plate system instead of a "if you slack you'll get it" system.

It sounds like it could fall apart- I see that too, but the proof is in the pudding it's been working for them over a decade.

God Bless,
    Tres
    Thanks,
    Tres

whoever owns the land is ultimately the boss, just out of curiousity where is this you talk of bears and yet dumpster diving , parks usually dont have much good stuff in dumpsters so Im thinking close to a city, yet theres bears? or do they travel ? they have cars and insurance , responsible ? they dont have guns , or no how to hunt , what is used for protection (bears are around so are hunters?) , they use the nearby creek for water , whats upstream? what do they use for toilets , hole in the ground? How do they kill the bacteria?
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Well I suppose it beats being homeless. But when you think about it, being self sufficient and have minimal responsibility would be cool. I just dont think I would want to live like that unless It was the only way. I like having the skills to live like that, but living like that for the heck of it is just not my bag of tea.
    But if that's what makes them happy, it's all good by me!

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Well I suppose it beats being homeless. But when you think about it, being self sufficient and have minimal responsibility would be cool. I just dont think I would want to live like that unless It was the only way. I like having the skills to live like that, but living like that for the heck of it is just not my bag of tea.
    But if that's what makes them happy, it's all good by me!
    I agree, As long as they're happy, great. But that's not a way of life that i would do. We've progressed as far as we have because our ancestors wanted to Make life easier and more enjoyable. I'm not doing without my computer, internet, cable TV, and so on.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

If I had to join a survival community, then it would be patterned after Rawl's "Patriots".
    They have enough structure which one needs even when there are 2 people let alone a group, and they use everything at their disposal--old fashioned skills, technology and money...which, in my book, aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    1whoever owns the land is ultimately the boss,
    2just out of curiousity where is this you talk of bears and yet dumpster diving , parks usually dont have much good stuff in dumpsters so Im thinking close to a city, yet theres bears? or do they travel ?
    3they have cars and insurance , responsible ?
    4they dont have guns , or no how to hunt , what is used for protection (bears are around so are hunters?) ,
    5they use the nearby creek for water , whats upstream?
    6what do they use for toilets , hole in the ground?
    7How do they kill the bacteria?
    The Lady that purchased the land, bought it merely so it could be left pristine, instead of yet another high end gated community being built on the edge of a national forest. She also has been a political green activist and helped get laws changed to help folks be able to live "green." Then a group of earthy folks found out about the property and her views. They went to her and stated they were the very type of folks she had helped and wanted to use the land. She said fine, just pay the property tax.

Many mountain towns have bears really close by. Bears are often seen at motels & hotels in Gatlinburg, TN at the edge of the Great Smoky Mtn Nat. Park- despite it being flooded with people. In rural mountain areas folks see bear in their back yards. This is that type of setting. This is not near a "park." It is near an "empty" national forest. There is few small towns 20 miles away. They go there for dumpsters once in a blue moon.

3. Yes some folks there have cars, pay the insurance, by the fuel, maintain them etc. etc. Just because you decide to live close to the earth does not mean your an irresponsible derelict that sponges off the guv'ment. Sure I'm sure there are some that do, but don't assume it's the stereotype.

4. Yes there are a few guns around camp. But they are just another tool. This is not a "militant group" nor are they even of "prepper" mentality. These are just folks that want "on the job training" for living "off" (with) the land. The hunters are no threat. (Are hunters ever a threat?- they are the good guys.) The one's that hunt nearby are the neighbor land owners, or at least reside in the same rural area. Also there's just black bears here. They are huggable and lovable compared to grizzlies. I was a fly fish guide in the Great smokies Nat. Park for two years and saw MANY wild black bears. EACH occurance- as soon as the bear figured out I was human it bolted and ran like a scared dog. Sure you hear of nuisance bears- but they are trained/created a nuisance by ignorant tourist hikers that are at fault, not the bears. You only need "protection" from your given Black bear if you do something REALLY stupid around a momma & cubs. From my experience anyways... They longest residence of the place say they see bear tracks near the property boundary, but have never seen a bear or a track in camp. Bears are elusive anywho and avoid folk.
    I'm not saying a handy pistol isn't cozy; but the reality of it (with BLACK BEARS, only) is that if you got half a brain and are a basic woodsman even your likely to never to have a problem in a life time.

5. I stated in the OP that they live on the creek, that comes out of the mtns of the Nat. forest and they are the only ones that live on/use the water shed. They drink the water straight, and have for a decade with no issues. Sure Giardia or Crypto could show up some day, but no issues thus far...

6. No they don't poop in the ground. You can't do that with a group this size living in one spot unless you have a WELL functioning outhouse. They use composting toilets... http://humanurehandbook.com/

7. I'm not sure what bacteria you mean? Poop? Refer the the webby above. Hand washing? They perfectly good every day ordinary soap out of dumpsters. Water born bacteria? See answer # 5 above.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I agree, As long as they're happy, great. But that's not a way of life that i would do. We've progressed as far as we have because our ancestors wanted to Make life easier and more enjoyable. I'm not doing without my computer, internet, cable TV, and so on.
    I understand it's not for everyone. And they actually prefer to keep a low profile. That's why I did not even put up the link their website- and it's somewhat vague anyways. They do not wish for or push their lifestyle choices on anyone. And 99% of the folks come for a while and then move on. I don't see myself living it forever- HA! But since childhood I have dreamed of "living it" for at least a year. And my life is in a position right now to walk off grid and go for it. So why not??
    And I'm a bit of a "prepper" but it's back burner thoughts of me. But if the dung get's flung- I guarantee the folk that had already lived it long term in the past.... will lead those that have never when it all goes down.

Just fun stuff and free choices. No one is despondent, beat down, or do this as their only miserable option. Some pay big money to go do the 28 day course at B.O.S.S., some pay $10.5G to do a 9 month course. Others- they do this for basically free, for as long as they want. That's all.
    Last edited by TresMon; 01-22-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    Thanks,
    Tres

Actually if you were the kind of person that has the desire to live like that, it is an admirable way to live. But like I said, it's not for me unless it'a a have to case. At that point, I would do it and make the best of it! No doubt they have a carefree life! I wonder if they all have medical insurance? The only bad thing about that kind of life is that if you had to be on welfare, medicare, or whatever, I would feel like I was sapping society in a way!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    The only bad thing about that kind of life is that if you had to be on welfare, medicare, or whatever, I would feel like I was sapping society in a way!
    I could not agree more!!! To be REALLY HONEST I made the (jerk of a) assumption as I was headed out to visit them I was going to find a bunch of stinky, pot smoking tree hugging hippie's living off food stamps and EVERY possible guv'ment system they possibly could. I was extremely wrong and VERY pleasantly surprised.
    Medical insurance? I have no idea. I don't know them personally. I went from ignorance of them to having visited them for 2-3 hours and we talked of their community and how they operate the whole time. I have related what I pleasantly learned here in this thread. It's none of my business as to if they have med insurance. Sure it's a good idea. But I live an "average" lower blue collar class suburban life- and I have not been able to afford the luxury of med insurance in over three years.
    Thanks,
    Tres

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    I could not agree more!!! To be REALLY HONEST I made the (jerk of a) assumption as I was headed out to visit them I was going to find a bunch of stinky, pot smoking tree hugging hippie's living off food stamps and EVERY possible guv'ment system they possibly could. I was extremely wrong and VERY pleasantly surprised.
    Medical insurance? I have no idea. I don't know them personally. I went from ignorance of them to having visited them for 2-3 hours and we talked of their community and how they operate the whole time. I have related what I pleasantly learned here in this thread. It's none of my business as to if they have med insurance. Sure it's a good idea. But I live an "average" lower blue collar class suburban life- and I have not been able to afford the luxury of med insurance in over three years.
    Well Tres, even if they do get free medical or whatever, if they have worked most of their lives, they have probably earned it far more than the illegals and just plain ole lazy azzes that have done this and never hit a lick at a snake. I am sure that in a lot of ways, they may even lesson the burden on society in many ways. So I am not judging these people, but was just curious!

Were good, I took nothing in the negative. Thanks bud.
    I think its cool they seem to not "invite" BUMS to come stay there. Rather it seems they are typical persons such as I imagine the rest of us are that frequents this board often- that just want to take their skills up a notch(or 10.)
    Thanks,
    Tres

This project looks extremely interesting.
    I have a few friends with whom I intend to realize something similar. We actually have our very first reunion on Tuesday - funny coincidence.
    If you could PM me their website, I would love to read more on their project.

This type of life is so healthy, and actually benefits the rest of the society: in a sense they are saving the world from a ton of waste. They are also proving that we do not need as much as we think we need, which is something I really hope more people realized and actually started applying.
    I personally really think of this kind of project as something extremely important for our planet and humanity, and it shouldn't be as low-profile. People should hear way more about this kind of communes, as they show a very good example of legitimately working alternative living style.

This summer, I am going to help a somewhat similar project up here in Canada. It's definitely less oriented on primitivism, but I'll still feel great for volunteering and helping out.

PM sent. I agree with your statements indeed.
    Thanks,
    Tres

Banned
    Blog Entries

NOTE: Medicare is Insurance..........My standard has always been stay healthy. I had a flu bug in the winter of 1985. I just qualified for Medicare this month, And it is the very first Medical Insurance I have ever had.

I could (but won't) argue that the people who use insurance as a safety net for poor lifestyle choices, are the real drag on society.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-22-2012 at 05:30 PM.