Thread: Another Fallen Hero

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Another Fallen Hero

I'm not entirely sure about the specifics, but several tours in 'Nam, a lifelong passion for protecting freedom and a strong determination to do something with his life, left my Grandad old and in poor health. We lost him two nights ago, to complications from cancer.
    In the short while I knew him, he really took to me, probably because of my independent spirit, general willingness to work hard, and desire to learn old ways. He was a man of few words and didn't really let people get into his head, so I can't say for sure why we got along so well.

He left me his Kabar. After several tours in 'Nam, then coming back stateside to work in a slaughterhouse, there is no telling how many interiors of men and cattle that knife has seen. He told me that the Special Forces "gave me a Kabar and a compass, said 'stay alive till we come back and get you', and kicked me out of the plane". Now that he is gone, I do not know whether I will put the knife in a case to look upon when I'm feeling defeated, or if I will keep it in my pocket as if a medallion that would imbue me with some sort of strength. Nevertheless, I will cherish it.

I was fortunate to harvest two deer this year with the black powder rifle he gave me for christmas last year. I sent him pictures of the doe and 8-point buck, and I'm sure the old man lit up for a minute with a smile. I'd bet the only thing he said in response was "good!" He was very reserved in speech. Although I can't say I enjoyed killing the deer, I find great satisfaction in knowing that he knew I was not just looking at the rifle on the shelf; that I was actually learning to use it, and actually did use it to procure food for my family.

He didn't talk much about his military career, being special forces and all, but one story that will always stick with me is the one about his 18th birthday. His father got him out of bed and said "come to the barn, I got you something for your birthday." He threw on his trousers and followed to the barn, where his father opened the door and there stood a full grown mule. His father said, "She's grown, but if you feed her right and take good care of her, she should give you many years of labor (I'm paraphrasing here)".
    Grandad replied, "I need to borrow the keys to the truck!" He drove straight to town, to the Army Recruitment office and enlisted that very day.
    So the old man did have a sense of humor!!

It is sad to lose such a remarkable man, but I find much solace in knowing he is now cancer free and no longer suffering in pain. I'm happy that I had a chance to honor his life before his passing. As much as it saddens me to lose him, I'm really glad I got the chance to know him.

In Loving Memory of Robert Luther.
    Thank you for believing in me, Grandad!

Sorry for your loss YCC,another good man gone home,bless you,and bless him for his service, ((((HUGS)))).
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

You carry that knife along with you YCC, and you will carry your Granfathers Mojo on your belt. Sorry for your loss....
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

RIP Longtabber,

My condolences YCC.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Sorry to hear that, our thoughts and prayed are with you and your family.

That truely was a gift, carry it proud, and he will always be with you.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Like the muzzle loader- Keep using the knife and compass. I'm betting your gramp's wouldn't have wanted to be put on display, nor would he wan't his knife or compass to.

So sorry for your loss.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Default Condolences, YCC.

There's never enough time on this earth with people we love.

Please accept my condolences on your loss. You honor him well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks for introducing Robert.

Ycc you do him proud.

Journey well Robert
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Sorry to hear of your loss YCC. Prayers going out to you and your's.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

I share your lost. He lives on in your memories and your heart.

You can contact the Goverment records office and get a copy of your grandfathers military records.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...-form-180.html

After my dad died I requested the information.

They sent me a copy of his service records, replaced all the medals and ribbons he had been awarded. USN 1939-1946
    The most cherished is the Pearl Harbor Commemorative coin. He was the (watch) lookout on the USS Antares that spotted the Jap sub just before the attack on Pearl Harbor. the sub was sunk by the USS Ward.
    The most humorist is his "bust" (article 15) for having "contraband liquior" aboard ship.

I made a shadow box of his medals/ribbons and placed them along side of mine. So we hang together on the wall of my man cave.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Sorry for your loss YCC, my sincerest condolences.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

sorry for your lost. my prayers are sent to you and your family carry the kabar I think he would have want you to

Blog Entries

My deepest sympathies to you and your family, YCC. Put the knife in your pocket and find a smile for Gramps every time you use it.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Blog Entries

Thank you all for your kind words.
    I shall carry it in rememberance and appreciation until I no longer have pockets.

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

My deepest condolences, YCC. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.