Thread: Recipe Suggestions?

Default Recipe Suggestions?

I'm curious if anyone here has any ideas for the primitive cooking of possum. Had a bad experience with possum stew when I was younger, so as a result, I've always steered clear of them when it comes to eating. Problem with this is the trapping and small game hunting has been pretty lean my last few times out, but possum is still relatively plentiful right now. Not looking for anything fancy, just maybe some suggestions for spices that go well with it I may want to add to my kit, or a certain cooking technique that works (like pit cooking vs. roasting over coals) to make it more palatable. As of now I carry season salt, sage, cayenne, garlic, and cumin. I realize that hunger is the best seasoning, but thought I'd see if there were any ideas. Also would it be worth parboiling the meat to improve the taste? I don't mean to sound picky in this post, because I'm really not when it comes to eating in the wild (grubs and grasshoppers are delicious), just that one experience soured me on possum and I'm trying to overcome it. Got pretty hungry my last trip out and don't want to repeat it. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

Sorry so long in responding, I had to have some hard copy library time. This ain't google-fu, this is from a 1947 hard copy.

Seems that we need a pretty large Billy Can, and some snare wire to tie them to a roasting stick.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Early in the text, they highly stress the removal of fat and the glands. Get er' clean, then get er' done.
    Last edited by intothenew; 02-09-2012 at 09:51 PM.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Nice. Thank you very much for that!
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold