Thread: 1-2 year water storage

Default 1-2 year water storage

Hey everyone

I have another question for you. I did some searching around the site and found some information but it wasn't quite what I wanted. So here are my questions.

The expiration date on the clear gallon water jugs from the store is 9/15/2012 - If they are keep one year longer than that, how can I make it safe again to drink?
    I also have (4) 7 gallon blue reliance jugs that will be filled with tap water. I would like them to last a year or two in the basement (cool and dark). I know I need to clean the containers and add 56 ounces (8oz to 1 gal) of bleach but will they be good for two years?

I realize that you can not really say "oh yes, absolutely" but safely speaking would they stand any chance in lasting that long?

Thanks again everyone

Flatlander
    "You are not good enough now, and you never will be, to not die in this sport."

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander88 View Post
    Hey everyone

I have another question for you. I did some searching around the site and found some information but it wasn't quite what I wanted. So here are my questions.

The expiration date on the clear gallon water jugs from the store is 9/15/2012 - If they are keep one year longer than that, how can I make it safe again to drink?
    I also have (4) 7 gallon blue reliance jugs that will be filled with tap water. I would like them to last a year or two in the basement (cool and dark). I know I need to clean the containers and add 56 ounces (8oz to 1 gal) of bleach but will they be good for two years?

I realize that you can not really say "oh yes, absolutely" but safely speaking would they stand any chance in lasting that long?

Thanks again everyone

Flatlander
    Bottled water does not go bad. Store it in a cool place and you'll be fine. The reason there is an expiration date is that some states require an expiration on all food and beverages. To keep costs down, packaging is standardized.

8 ounces to a gallon?? Yikes!!!!!!! Try 8 drops!

I store a lot of water and rotate it often....well most of it. I found one of the 8 gallon blue containers that had not been rotated in 3 years. It tasted flat, so I tried the trick that Rick suggested (but it in a bottle and shake it up to oxygenate it) and it was fine.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Do you have the capacity to store 365 gallons of water? That's just for you. You'll need to add an addition 365 gallons of water for every person if you want a 1 year supply. Plan on 1 gallon per person per day for drinking, cooking and hygiene minimum.

If you use a city water supply or well that is safe why do you want to add anything to it? Wash out the jugs, rinse well, fill with water and store. You don't need to add anything else to the water.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    8 ounces to a gallon?? Yikes!!!!!!! Try 8 drops!
    Holy Cow! I wrote that wrong. I did mean drops. Wow.

Rick - I do not have that type of room, I am trying to add to my current stock in case of a natural emergency. Right now I am focused on a couple days supply and will work up to a larger supply as a learn how and I can work in a rotation.

Thank you again for all the help. I do appreciate.
    Flatlander

in addition to the water storage I would be tempted to put a large tempering tank in line with the water heater. I would install a check valve in the incoming water line to prevent back siphoning in the event of a water main break. The tempering tank would constantly be refreshed and in the event of a interruption of service there would be this tank of water to use in addition to the stored water. I would drain the sediment of the bottom of this tank and the water heater at least once a year. I would be rid of the cheap drain valve on the water heater and install a full port ball valve for better flushing and draining

You're title was 1-2 years water supply so I addressed it that way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I can see how that is misleading. Sorry for the confusion, what I was trying to say is how to make a few days of water last a year or two. I current have just over 20 gallons. Some in bottles, some in gallon jugs, and the rest in those blue plastic containers.

Thanks again

Flatlander

Just a word of caution on the store bought gallon/2.5gal. jugs. They WILL leak way before their expiration date. The plastic just caves in and you'll hardly notice until you see a puddle. I found out the hard way.
    I had a total of 20 gallons (in cardboard trays) stored under my bed a couple of years ago. 4 months after I bought them I had to reorganize, pulled them all out and was faced with a flood. Some of the containers were leaking; water went straight through the cardboard and was soaking the hardwood floor. It's amazing the wood didn't buckle.

I started a thread about it asking for advice. That's when I got 6, five gal. blue Reliance containers and am storing most of my water that way. Other than that I always have 3-5 cases of 1 liter bottles of seltzer (they haven't leaked so far--different type of plastic) that I use and rotate regularly. 16oz & 8oz. bottles of water for carry around, as well.
    My apt. space is extremely limited so this is the best I can do.
    If you're storing store bought gallons, make sure they are contained and kept in a place where the eventual leaks won't hurt anything.

Back in the day, water beds were cool. That would be a good way to store about a hundred gallons. Good catch on drops, not ounces for bleach. In case anyone else has wondered, it is 2-4 drops per a quart. I have stored ten gallons of water this week and since it was tap water, I only added 2 drops per a quart since the water is already treated. If I was using untreated water, I think I would use the 4 drops per qt and wait 1/2 to 1 hour before drinking.

Since I haven't stored water long enough for it to go "flat", I don't know about that shaking trick. If Rick recommends it and Crash approved it, it has to be good!

Randyt - thanks for the water heater idea but I think for now I am going to focus on my "short" supply.

Benesse - I store all my water in the basement. It is a one room basement with a concrete floor, so any leaking just have to be wiped up.

Natertot - I don't have a water bed but never thought of that. I use 8 drops per gallons or (.4ml per gallon), which is close to your figures.

I've never had a waterbed but it's my understanding that a bacteriostat was supposed to be added to the water to prevent mold growth in the non-FDA approved plastic. Any bed owners out there that can confirm or refute that?

@ Rick - I had a waterbed for many years. Chemical treatments were added on a regular basis to prevent bacteria and algae growth. Not a viable source for drinking water IMO.

@ natertot - your tap water is chlorinated so there really is no need to add bleach unless you suspect contamination from a loss of pressure, line break, etc. - and then boiling would probably be your best route.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good info on water bed. It was just a thought that popped into mind hearing Benesse store water under her bed. I know that there really is no reason to add bleach on tap water. I just did it more for peace of mind and to help prevent future issues.