Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watches

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    I have a Casio Pro Tek. I love it. It's solar recharged. It has a "low, med, high" battery gauge and I have never seen it not on high the last couple years I have owned it. It's an "ABC" watch as it has an altimeter, Barometer & compass, and air temp gauge. I use those functions to calculate air density in my long range shooting, but of course they are handy in the field.

http://www.casio-intl.com/wat/protrek/
    That Pro Tek is a great watch. I wear the Casio Riseman daily. Barometer, Altimeter, Tough Solar, 200m WR, and tough as nails. Watching the baro graph I have predicted a lot of bad weather while in the woods. I love mine.
    No Retreat, No Surrender

I wear the Casio Pathfinder (solar, atomic, triple sensor). Seems to be functionally pretty similar to the Pro Trek and the Riseman mentioned above. It's a tough piece of hardware. The realtime barometer really is a cool feature. Caution on using the thermometer...you need to take it off and leave it off for a bit before using the temperature function. Otherwise you'll just be reading the surface temperature of your wrist.

As of right now, my everyday go-to watch is an Armitron Dura-Steel [analog] watch that my wife gave me for Christmas about 15 years ago. It has a uni-directional bezel that helps me time events and exercises and activities that I routinely use in my classroom training programs. Besides, the danged thing is as rugged as H*ll. Would probably have to SHOOT it in order to stop it.

My back-up watch is an analog Timex Indi-Glow watch with many of the same characteristics. Right now its in my bedside table because the Indi-Glow feature has ceased to, ah, glow.

Now, to address what I suspect may have been the core of the original question, only modern-day society sees the need to sub-divide the day (or week, or month) into meticulous, precise segments. In a simpler society, whether it be agrarian or hunter-gatherer, such precision is useless.

And therein, my friends, lies the essential difference between the so-called "Modern Time" and "Indian Time". "Modern" folks allow themselves to be governed by the relentless ticking of the clock, second-by-second-by-seond, minute-by-minute-by-minute. Traditional folks are governed by the day (passage of the Sun) and the month (passage of the Moon) and the Season.

With our present level of knowledge and understanding, who is to say which is better?
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 06-04-2012 at 05:34 PM.

I have a perry ellis shiny watch, hasnt had a battery in it for more than 5 years, I only wear it once or twice a year if I get my suit on and I set it to 11:58. As for keeping time I am surrounded by devices; pc, cell, stove, tv, microwave, bedside alarm, truck dash, cordless phone...

Well, if it doesn't have a battery at least its correct twice a day,
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.