Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your.......

Default How do you store your.......

I was wondering how everyone stored pills in their first aid kits. For my home kit, I just keep 'em in the original container since I have a good sized box for the kit. But for my vehicle kits, I want small bags or packs that I can add to the outside of my vehicle BOB. I find that the bottles take a lot of room. I was thinking of using a plano organizer, kinda like what is used for tackle. My other idea was to put them into little baggies and place all the little baggies in a larger zip-loc bag.

I am open to any tips or hints. Pictures would be great as well. Thanks in advance.

For OTC meds I use small containers and pill fobs. For prescription meds I keep them in the original container.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I use the Ezy Dose pill pouches for some otc stuff and also those dollar rolls of tylenol and advil that stay sealed. For prescriptions I have a fob.

Default His & Hers, and His & Hers

First, the norm.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

A portioned seven day supply of OTC and scrip stays in the kitchen. Then there is an identical set in each of our home bags, sealed in a ziplock, along with a generic first aid kit. Pills in the first aid kits are foil single serve in ziplock. The portioned containers are dated and rotated every so often. As a side note, that is something I am working on some sort of reminder for. Certainly I need to restock when a script changes, and must put some sort of shelf life value on them.

We don't keep a copy in the vehicles, those are generic first aid kits. That decision is simply based on the liability. When we do travel overnight, or more, the original scripts go with us along with the kitchen containers.

In a SHTF moment, it would be grab the bags and worry about the liability later.
    Last edited by intothenew; 12-10-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Hmm. Some good thoughts and ideas here. I'm still not too sure. My biggest concern with the car kits is extreme temps and moisture/condensation along with compactability.

Be aware that in most places prescriptions are not to be in anything other than the original container....could be a lot of BS for no reason.

That being said, those 'day' boxes are nice.....and I do carry aspirins, Tums and HBP pills, in a water proof match case in my pocket
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have some good info or you,
    1: If the meds are stored at 70 degrees or less and are kept dry they are good for 9 years after their expiration date (this applies only to dry or powdered meds) They will lose some of their potency.
    2: you can vacuseal and freeze them to extend their potency (this applies to vitamins as well)

I keep a portion of my meds (script and OTC) vacuseal in the freezer. These are clearly marked as to what they are and the dosage. They are ready to grab and go, if I have to!
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    I have some good info or you,
    1: If the meds are stored at 70 degrees or less and are kept dry they are good for 9 years after their expiration date (this applies only to dry or powdered meds) They will lose some of their potency.
    2: you can vacuseal and freeze them to extend their potency (this applies to vitamins as well)

I keep a portion of my meds (script and OTC) vacuseal in the freezer. These are clearly marked as to what they are and the dosage. They are ready to grab and go, if I have to!
    Do you have a source for that? I seem to remember a story (don't recall where) that stated while some prescription meds will lose their potency after the expiration, some actually gain potency.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

N.U.G. Trying Hard

The best thing I have found for OTC meds is the single serve packets. They are small enough to place in a small zip lock snack bag and keep in the glove box or seat packet of you vehicle. For controlled meds, the original container is the best way to go. For non-controlled meds I would vac-seal in single dose packages and label with med name, dosage strength and dosing times (1 per day, 2 per day, etc.).

Most prescriptions will still be good years later. Here's an article from Harvard Med School.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/up...ate1103a.shtml

I don't store drugs in my vehicles. I have a small, plastic pill container something like inthewild posted that I carry in the woods along with my doctor's phone number and my pharmacy phone number. If the officer has a question he can call the pharmacy or my doctor to confirm my prescription.

In my conversation with my doctor he told me there was no reason to be carrying 90 (pick a number) pills in your car. The heat would damage them and he would be not be very sympathetic if I called and told him someone had stolen my script. He told me to take what I needed to carry with me in the woods and leave the rest at home. So that's what I do.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

All good stuff guys. I don't have any script meds, so I'm not worried about that. I'm just referring to things like aspirin, tylenol, mucinex, etc. I also wouldn't have more than 100 pills of each. I'm thinking of dropping down to 25 of each, putting them in smaller sealed bags that are clearly labled as to what they are and the dosage, then putting all the smaller bags into a larger 1Gallon bag. I really don't want a traveling pharmacy in my cars, but if I have an afternoon headache at work or a stuffy nose after a night of cool river fishing, it would be nice to have somethings around.

I should mention my car kits are pretty multi-purpose. I use them as "get home bags", "stranded in my car bags", "a last minute walk in the woods bag", and "to simply have around because things you can't even think of tend to pop up out of nowhere and leave you saying "WTF!" bags".

I fibbed to you. I do have Tylenol in the original bottles in the vehicles. I forgot about those. Sorry.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I keep a small supply of Advil along with my gear. It gets changed from pocket to pocket whatever the season is. As you get older anti-inflamatories seem to become standard equipment.

The first aid kit I have for the truck is made from what looks like insulated material. It's double thickness and padded somehow. Not sure that it is, but I keep it under the rear seat and winter or summer I've never noticed that the stuff inside is too hot or too cold. Still, I change out the burn salves and antibiotics fairly regularly. Not a lot of waste though. Seems I'm always the only one with a kit so it gets used fairly often.

Sorry about that, It was an Airforce study done when a large stockpile of their meds was about to MFG expire. They did the study and found that any of the non liquid meds if kept at 70 degrees or less were good for about 9 years (they actually gave it in months).
    I know what hunts you.

Good to know. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Land of a thousand lakes Northern Horseman's Avatar
    The geographical center of British Columbia

You might want to consider a key chain pill box, I found mine at the dollar store it holds several Tylenol and several Advil certainly enough for any problem headache or body ache that might crop up on any given day and its always on me when I'm out and about.
    just always remember to keep it stocked. When out camping I don't bring any extras as I live in willow and aspen country an unlimited source of pain relief
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero
    (106 BC - 43 BC)

I keep my NSAIDs in a small container that you find in the checkout line. The rest I put in small ziplocks ( I mean really small) and then everything gets put in a larger ziplock.

All I carry are pain killers, anti-diarrhea, acid reflex, and anti-histamine.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

Everything is in their own container. I have a friend who does some sewing and has made me mini-bags to put all sorts of contents in -- so I do that! Always on a kangaroo pouch (fanny pack) around my waist at all time.

Small ziplocs for me too then they all go in a zipper pocket.Light easy and non-bulky.

I take the original label off of prescription meds and put it in the vac bag with the pills then seal them (avoids the potential "Questions" if you have the label with your name on it accompanying the drugs), then they go in the freezer in a large ziploc. Grab and go like Sarky said.

Does anybody have any specific info on the shelf life of antibiotics (Amoxicillin, etc.)?