Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Backpack, Anyone ?

Banned

Default Solar Backpack, Anyone ?

Anybody tried these ? http://www.voltaicsystems.com/offgrid.shtml

Looks pretty nice !

No but I do have one.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Did it come with all the different plugs ? The one i posted seem a little expensive.

It came with a mini A that plugs into the Type A USB receptacle on the right hand side of the solar panel. My camera patch cord is a mini B so between the two cords everything I own can be plugged into it.

Well, my fridge can't but most of the stuff can.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It came with a mini A that plugs into the Type A USB receptacle on the right hand side of the solar panel. My camera patch cord is a mini B so between the two cords everything I own can be plugged into it.

Well, my fridge can't but most of the stuff can.
    I like your set up better !! it allows you to carry a better pack !

It folds up pretty small 9.5 X 5 and weighs 1 pound. It's not something I'd pack with me when out hiking but it's pretty good for keep batteries charged when car camping. If power were completely out (generator down too) then I could still keep batteries charged.

I don't have one, but can definetly see the advantages of one in a car camping situation like Rick said....
    A while back I was a member of a site you've been banned from twice... got to talking to this guy who was around my age but a little younger, and lived near me... He had one... I asked him how it worked he said it was great... and "You need to get one"... He told me it was the "ultimate SHTF survival pack".. I was like "Huh?"

He told me it was great for charging his portable playstation out in the woods, and "when SHTF there will be a lot of boring down time, so gaming is a great way to fill that"

That's only 1 example of the great advice I got there.... haven't been back since.
    Last edited by NightShade; 09-26-2010 at 10:38 AM.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
    I don't have one, but can definetly see the advantages of one in a car camping situation like Rick said....
    A while back I was a member of a site you've been banned from twice... got to talking to this guy who was around my age but a little younger, and lived near me... He had one... I asked him how it worked he said it was great... and "You need to get one"... He told me it was the "ultimate SHTF survival pack".. I was like "Huh?"

He told me it was great for charging his portable playstation out in the woods, and "when SHTF there will be a lot of boring down time, so gaming is a great way to fill that"

That's only 1 example of the great advice I got there.... haven't been back since.
    LOL,,, Yep,,,, Ok everybody, Forget about Books ! Its Survival Play Stations !!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    LOL,,, Yep,,,, Ok everybody, Forget about Books ! Its Survival Play Stations !!
    In all seriousness, an electronic device can hold a LOT more information, be tons smaller and lighter, than the biggest stack of books you could imagine.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

I have it to charge up cell phones and camera mostly.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    In all seriousness, an electronic device can hold a LOT more information, be tons smaller and lighter, than the biggest stack of books you could imagine.
    Good Point,

My interest in it was , as Rick said, to charge cell phone and camera, as well as GPS.... I don't use GPS because of the battery issue.... With a solar charger I might give it a try... Just don't know how well it would work under a tree canopy..imagine you would need direct sunlight...
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

and..... While I enjoy playing xbox with my son (hey anything to bond, he isn't into outdoor activities) even tho I always lose.... I couldn't imagine bringing a portable game system anywhere with me.... Especially out into the woods...!

You definitely want direct sun light. I haven't tried to attach it to a pack. I've just carried it in the truck with me. I can obviously charge stuff off the truck but if power goes down at home I have some great west facing windows that give me plenty of sunlight.

My wife has a Kindle 2 and she forgot the car charger on one of our trips so she used it to charge the Kindle.

Banned

Ohhhh,, I thought you wore that around your waist .. a solar belt, lol (after looking at it again, I have no idea why i thought that)

It won't fit. I'm just lucky the thong does.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Banned

YIKES !!!!! Thats not belly fat ,, Thats a TUMOR !

Even if it did fit, it would never get any sun!!

I've been working out with free weights. It's, uh, muscle. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I recently acquired a Samsonite solar backpack. I haven't used it much yet. The solar cell feeds a cigarette lighter style outlet, which I have filled with a USB converter. I've also added a battery so the solar cell always has something to charge and then I can charge devices such as the cell phone more rapidly off the battery. I've charged a Kindle, a Blackberry, and an iTouch off of it so far. There is a good pocket for carrying a full size laptop.

I like the idea, but the pack lacks a waist strap and external attachment points. There seem to be about a half dozen makes of these on the market, but they are really meant for carrying your electronics between home and office, not as serious backpacks. I would expect more of these to come out over time and hopefully the choices will get better.