Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Mask Life

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Gas Mask Life

How long will a canister type gasmask filter last in use?

Does the use measure from the first breath taken or only when "bad air" is being processed?

Will you wear it out playing with it or does the filter only pack up when being used to strain the bad stuff out?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Each filter varies as far as longevity goes. The ones my ship had in the Navy were only good for about 90min per filter. We had "trainers" (used ones that were clearly marked) for drills and the good one were sealed in plastic. I'd say you'd have to look at the filter and research it a bit.

I do not remember the length of time right off the bat, but once it is open it is considered in use. The next time I run into our CBRN Sgt, I can get some more specific info. A canister also has an expiration date, but your real worry should be the J-List.

You can take and knock the guts out of a canister and use it for training (old trick when we would do pro-mask runs). You will need to learn how to set your mask up and be able to dawn it and confirm a seal. It is all about the way you have it setup, that aids in your protection time. Also, if you have any facial hair where the rubber gasket is might as well kiss your behind.

If it is a M40, you will want to loosen all the straps and flip the harness over the face of the mask. Don the mask and flip the harness over the back of your head. Then tighten the straps to ensure the harness is snug and centered on the back of your head. Once good, loosen the bottom straps only and pull the harness back over the face of the mask. Now it is ready to be donned in a hurry.

When you don the mask, press it firmly to your face with your hand over the outlet valve and breath out, then place your hand over the inlet on the canister and inhale, you should feel the mask suck down down to your face, if not you're in trouble and need to run your finger around the edge to ensure it is not folded under or obstructed and then try to seal it again. Once sealed, hold the mask tightly and pull the harness over the back of your head and tighten the straps ensuring the harness is centered and all the straps are flat. If I remember right, we had to do this in 9 seconds or something, that's why preparation was so important.

http://chemicaldragon.com/cbrn_nco_room has a lot of great CBRN information on the M40 and everything CBRN related.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Doesn't that also go with a suit? If the concern is CBRN then it has to mate a CBRN suit doesn't it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Spot on woodsman. That was exactly how we did it in the Navy when we had our drills and pre-deployment work-ups.

Rick, there is indeed a suit that goes with it for CBR protective purposes. Just to avoid inhalation, the mask is fine though. The mask by intself would be great as a defense against anything that has to be breathed in for it to have effect. If you wanted a suit, you can make your own kinda easily. The suits we had were nothing more than really thick rain gear, really. Just wear a pair of the overall style waders, put on good durable rain rain coat and something to make it good and tight around the waist. Put on your hood and pull the draw string tight around the mask. Next put on a pair of durable elbow high rubber cleaning gloves. Tuck the gloves up into the sleeve of the rain coat ot put the glove on prior to the rain coat so they are tucked automatically.

I had bought some masks with extra fiters for use as a dust filter. Crazy cheap for that. I just thought some of the chems were as effective if they touched your skin as they were breathing them in. I don't prepare for chem attack. You watch, I'll post this and the local pool will have a chlorine leak and ya'll will be laughing at my corpse.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I had bought some masks with extra fiters for use as a dust filter. Crazy cheap for that. I just thought some of the chems were as effective if they touched your skin as they were breathing them in. I don't prepare for chem attack. You watch, I'll post this and the local pool will have a chlorine leak and ya'll will be laughing at my corpse.
    It depends on the chemical and what it is designed to do. Some must be inhaled (gaseous), some must be absorbed through skin (liquid), and some must be ingested (liquid or solid). Some are designed for multiple methods of entry. Gases can be formed so they are inhaled and abosorbed, usually though the soft tissue of the nose, throat, and eyes. It all depends on what you are up against.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot
    multiple methods of entry
    Not that right there sounds painful. If there is ever a chemical war just count me out.

Didn't the Isrealies develope a gas mask that could be used over facial hair. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind I think I recall that they issued this type of mask to their civilians
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

"You can take and knock the guts out of a canister and use it for training (old trick when we would do pro-mask runs). "

The next thing you'll mention is putting water containers in your ruck that will leak out as you begin a ruck march. Oh yeah, we had a guy that did that (he found out that Command Sergeants Major are pretty sharp).
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman86 View Post
    If it is a M40, you will want to loosen all the straps and flip the harness over the face of the mask.
    I wouldn't do this. It makes it quick to don but extended periods of times with the straps in this position will cause the rubber tabs attached to them to somewhat retain that position destroying your seal when you need it. I'd rather take a whopping whole extra second holding my breath putting it on than have a questionable seal.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    I wouldn't do this. It makes it quick to don but extended periods of times with the straps in this position will cause the rubber tabs attached to them to somewhat retain that position destroying your seal when you need it. I'd rather take a whopping whole extra second holding my breath putting it on than have a questionable seal.
    Not true since there is no tension on the rubber tabs except when you are wearing it. The way that Woodsman described it is exactly how my ship trained in the Navy.

Here is a link to the manual for an m40 gas mask.

http://www.operationalmedicine.org/T.../FMST_1221.htm

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    The way that Woodsman described it is exactly how my ship trained in the Navy.
    Yes, because everything the military teaches is 100% accurate. Like teaching all their soldiers to preform a needle thoracostomy for a tension pneumothorax secondary to penetrating chest trauma. Outstanding.

I was also taught the way he described it in the army. Which doesn't mean jack s*** to me.

If you can keep it lose enough for the tabs to stay in the neutral position, go for it. I personally wouldn't do it because any movement in the bag can pull the tabs back since the straps are already pulled backwards. Up to you, I see no reason to risk it for 1 extra second. I've seen the effects of masks being stored this way, creating a sup par seal for no reason. In the fire department we go on air all the time in a hurry, keeping your mask in this position is a big no-no. Save your mask and take 1 extra second in my opinion, but hey do what you want.......

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I love this place!

You ask what time it is and half the population wants to tell you how to make a watch.

And after you get instructions for a digital, analog and wind up Big Ben alarm clock, no one has yet said what time it is.

It's a good thing I did not ask about condoms!

Never fear, I got the information from a manufacturer's website.

The filters are a combination of close mesh paper with layers of activated charcoal. The paper is not better or worse than that used in dust masks or paint masks. The paper filter takes out the Bio-hazzards/large pollutants.

It is the activated charcoal that processes the chemicals. Once the seal on the filter is broken the charcoial starts absorbing humidity from the air and will eventually become saturated. There is no set time frame, all is dependent on the relitive humidity of the stored mask and/or the saturation level of the chemical being filtered. Shortest time frame accepted is 90 minutes. Under less harsh conditions up to 24 hours. The filter is finished when it becomes difficult to pull air through the filter.

Thanks fella's I already knew how to put a mask on, which was not the question.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-20-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Old GI-nope never used water cans. I have a fish scale I would weigh my guys pack at the start and finish, always had to have 45lbs without your water.

A J-LIST can be picked up at the local surplus for about $10-$20 usually. It is not the same as just extra clothes. There are chemicals and charcoal in the suit that filter just like the canister does. Like the canister, they have to be sealed and I believe there is a expiration date as well. There are rubber boots, gloves, and a hood as well. I would say the only other thing that might work is a latex suit, but nobody wants to see that

RR, brought up a good point about how everything in the military is not the right way. All our masks are inspected annually and any that no longer seal are replaced. This eliminates any problems associated with storing a mask like that. In combat, those extra few second can be the difference of life and death.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I love this place!

You ask what time it is and half the population wants to tell you how to make a watch.

And after you get instructions for a digital, analog and wind up Big Ben alarm clock, no one has yet said what time it is.

Hahaha.... sorry...

Thanks for finding out and educating us.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman86 View Post
    RR, brought up a good point about how everything in the military is not the right way. All our masks are inspected annually and any that no longer seal are replaced. This eliminates any problems associated with storing a mask like that. In combat, those extra few second can be the difference of life and death.
    Combat is a different story. If you're going to run a mission you're going to (hopefully) pre check your equipment anyway ensuring it seals properly, and put it into this position(in the rarity you're actually taking a promask on a mission...?) A few days isn't what I was talking about. Storing for a month+ should be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I love this place!

Never fear, I got the information from a manufacturer's website.

The filters are a combination of close mesh paper with layers of activated charcoal. The paper is not better or worse than that used in dust masks or paint masks. The paper filter takes out the Bio-hazzards/large pollutants.

It is the activated charcoal that processes the chemicals. Once the seal on the filter is broken the charcoial starts absorbing humidity from the air and will eventually become saturated. There is no set time frame, all is dependent on the relitive humidity of the stored mask and/or the saturation level of the chemical being filtered. Shortest time frame accepted is 90 minutes. Under less harsh conditions up to 24 hours. The filter is finished when it becomes difficult to pull air through the filter.

You asked "how long does a filter last". If you look at post number two, you will see where the time mentioned was 90 minutes. This coincides with what you found on manufacture website listed as shortest acceptable. Sorry you didn't like the answer given.

Woodsman86- Just curious was there ever a single mission you rolled out on where you carried a promask?

Well, when I was in the army, they taught me.......

Oh wait, I started wrong. Hold on a sec......

And there I was.........

Anyways, I had to carry a pro-mask for the first few months in Iraq. But, they eventually took them back and put them in storage. I had to find a new place to store my soda, but was definitely happy to not have to carry it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee