Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mess Kit: Steel or Aluminum

Banned

Default Mess Kit: Steel or Aluminum

What is the preferred mess kit? Steel - Is more durable, but has significant weight. Aluminum - A bit delicate, but light as a feather. What do you guys use and why?

I use titanium.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

I believe that steel distributes heat more evenly and have heard that eating from aluminum has been linked to Alzheimer's...but I can't remember.

That being said, I prefer steel. If nothing else, it resists denting better.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

If your gear ain't dented or beaten up, then it hasn't truly been used though sarge

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by vahtryn View Post
    If your gear ain't dented or beaten up, then it hasn't truly been used though sarge
    Well, perhaps, but aluminum just seems more flimsy to me.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

If your reference is military mess kits then I prefer the Stainless version. I also like the Mountain Cook set. It has both stainless steel and aluminum but the aluminum isn't flimsy. On the commercial side I like titanium.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The best of both world's is hard anodized aluminum.

Stainless is the most durable, but H A aluminum is right up there with it.

In my experience, Ti get's bent up easier than the aluminum products. Also- if your cooking with a stove- Ti is a poor conductor so you use more stove fuel.

I have a great MSR Alpine kit (SS) but it stays home anymore. I love my coated aluminum.

PS- if you have shiney aluminum or SS, paint the bottom and an inch up the sides with black grill paint to save fuel.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I have several - anodized aluminum, plain aluminum and stainless (no titanium). They all work fine.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have always used stainless. Resists dents somewhat, not prone to rust, and I find it lightweight still.

Banned

Yeah... I have stainless, but am trying to lighten my pack. So just considering anything to drop weight.

---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

or

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What do you currently use?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

For car camping, I use stainless steel. For backpacking or my BOB it's titanium. I haven't used aluminum since I was in the boy scouts (early 60's)
    I know what hunts you.

I use aluminum. I don't use a mess kit, too heavy and bulky. I don't have money for ti yet, but plan to replace the al with ti.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Mostly cermic coated steel, and a stainess billy cup.
    Camping in one spot, cast iron.
    Just hiking/hunting canteen w/stove base and cup.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

I am a fan of stainless steel. The added weight over aluminum is worth it. Mine has taken a beating over the years and is still in great shape. i am sure titanium is great, I have just never used it.

I've been looking into a good mess kit now for a couple weeks.
    Anybody use the M31 German mess kit like this one?I seen a youtube vid on this set and it looks pretty versatile.

http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/pro....asp?SKU=MC146
    Last edited by letslearntogether47; 01-18-2012 at 09:05 AM.

It is very versatile and very, very heavy. That particular one does not have all the gear with it. It's missing the outer stove and pan holder, Trangia military stove and bottle. Did I mention that it's heavy?

Here's what the whole kit looks like

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

If you want to sled it in and use for the scouts it will serve you well but no fun to pack. The M-40 is the complete kit and they are getting hard to find.

Thanks Rick,
    I figured it would be a little heavy with all the gear.I'll have to look around and see if I can find one.I'm cheap,so that might be a while.