Thread: Accurate Maps

Banned

Default Accurate Maps

So.. I spend a lot of time in the National Forests, and all of the maps I have are different and not at all accurate. Does anyone know where to find an accurate map of all the back roads and logging roads in any given National Forest?

ALL the back roads and logging roads? Not going to happen.

A map can only be as accurate as the date the data used to make it was collected. Usually, by the time a map is printed, it's already partially out of date.

The best maps I have found are the digital maps offered by companies like Delorme and National Geographic, but even those are not perfect.

Two sources to trust, assuming you are using a motor vehicle.

First, the county DOT maps...........clicky.........

They are somewhat dynamic, county court can allow a gate. That link is for Texas explicit.

Second, the last word for each year can be found on each NF's MVUM...........clicky...........

That link is for Texas explicit, the link to the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) is in the links to the right. It is a Federal mandate that these be published each year.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Google Earth is your friend.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Google Earth is your friend.
    If you are on hoof, that could be true. If you are in/on a motor vehicle, that could be expensive.

Banned

The state DOT maps are pretty worthless, as are the MVUM maps. Nat Geo maps are okay. Google road maps are the most accurate I have found so far, but they are still not even close. I guess I will have to begin to make my own...

I don't know why. With today's WIFI connections you can download in just about any town. I generally pull various shots of my destination from varying altitudes depending on how far I intend to travel. Even foot trails can be discerned with some clarity and depending on the season that particular sat image was taken. It's free, it's easy and gives you just as much detail as a topo since you can get elevations at any point on your route. You can also acquire GPS readings on Google Earth and plug them into your GPS if you use one either hand held or mobile.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

And I don't get that the DOT and MVUM are worthless. They are the last word in traveling legally in a vehicle. Are you hiking/hunting, biking, horseback.......?

I pull the images at home before I leave. I don't take my laptop with me to the field. Just wanted to clarify.

I have to agree. DOT and MVUMs have generally been pretty accurate where I've been and I wouldn't categorize them as useless. Any change or addition to a map is going to take time to update even if you make your own.

The way it is supposed to work on the MVUMs is that they are never out of date. Never say never, I know, but........

Each Forest District is mandated to publish each year. If it ain't on this years map, you ain't s'pose to be on it.

I have seen detours in past where a given road or trail has either been washed out, snowed closed or turned into a lake. However, the detours are generally well marked with the route and vehicle types. Just not on the current map. But those oddities will always occur.

That be true. Fire, and even regular maintenance can close them. They, the Feds, have the right to close.

But, I have never seen a detour that did not use existing published MVUM roads. I have never seen a temporary "open", other than the published MVUM seasonal openings.

They don't have to gate, they don't have to post signs, it's a one way street. Pardon the pun.

I actually find this rather humorous.........
    Used to go flying with one of our company big shots...WWII bomber pilot.

He needed to get hours in per year, and just wanted company.

As we live on Lake Michigan, we were gonna fly across the lake, about 80 miles with a group of other planes.
    One pilot radioed that his GPS was not working, so we aborted the excursion across the lake and just flew out to a local country club for breakfast.

As we were eating, the other pilots were giving the bad GPS pilot a bad time, as he had been a fighter pilot in the Pacific,....jest of the conversation was:

You used to fly a single engine gas tank, full of bombs, bullets and fuel over hundreds of miles of open ocean, with a radio that only worked some times and you weren't suppose to use it.....and a compass.....and survived the fight, and found your way back........

So he says well yeah, but I used up 8 out of my 9 lives, kinda hanging on to that last one.

My point is unless you have a real time pic or map, GPs up grade , or whatever....it will never be exact, but just a good start....You still need to use your head to get where your are going...don't depend on all the electronics.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Again, I am driving on back roads and logging roads in national forests. On foot, I am fine. I am looking for the most accurate maps of back roads and logging roads. I have some great old logging maps for the Olympic Peninsula up in Washington that are very accurate, but that is the only areaI have ever found those for. I am currently looking for better maps for the west end of Ouachita National Forest

The Forest Service has good Quad topo maps of all National Forest Lands. Check at the local office. They are very good.

There is also the Goggle Planimeter. Topo maps at your fingertips. Use the toolbar to change from satellite to topo.
    This is free: http://acme.com/planimeter/

-Mert
    "...The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall not be Infringed."