Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Homemade tinder for survival kit

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
    TX- Where did you get that "quote" from Sawyers website, because that's not what i've read, or am reading now. The state there is no definitive way to TEST if it's been damaged. (as in your food coloring trick) Not that they don't know if freezing will damage it.
    I agree with you, Sawyer has not figured out a way to determine if their filters can be damaged or "harmed" by a hard freeze. I was quoting their international web site, their filters are very popular overseas. (From a legal view I doubt a most lawyers would attempt to prove "no harm", similar for a scientist, so I'm not sure "how" to interpret this statement of theirs. To prove a negative is a difficult hurdle, to say "have not found any evidence of harm so far", might be more convincing.)

http://sawyer.com/international/faqs/

this forum did not let me post url link because I am a newbie to forum

Food coloring is worthless for testing most quality filters, I should not have mentioned it, sorry. There are better methods to test but they require a serious biological lab.

Best to start a completely new thread on hot water bottles and/or bags for putting by your femoral artery or where ever and drink in the morning. There are dozens of issues, pros and cons, problems and solutions with taking anything wet into you bedding especially in very cold weather. My rule of thumb is to read the specs on any gear and test it out. I.e. can a water bottle/bag survive being frozen solid if lid is off or lose, can it hold boiling water or just very hot? How well does the lid seal? Same thing with filter: is only the center cartridge freeze resistant or if a tube or pump mechanism is full of water will it survive a hard freeze, how careful must I be to drain it? But very cool that MSR filter cartridge is proven to be hard freeze proof, not all filter companies can claim this. A new thread on this topic would be a good idea, IMO.

Tons more to discuss about tinders, how to package them, make them. I have never used those "Weber Lighter Cubes" has anyone vacuum sealed individual cubes or half cubes of these and used them to start a wilderness camp fire? How do they compare to PJ+cotton balls? I would probably pre-shave off some fine material then seal it all up individually so they are all ready to go in an emergency. Speed is critical if you are going into Hypothermic shock.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 11-06-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: fixed link

Ok have either of you used a Sawyer? The way you're talking makes me think you're under the impression the whole thing is wet? You shake out the water, only small amounts of residual water reside INSIDE the filter. Never had it leak on me, if that's what your concern is, put it in a small bag.

Anyway. TINDERS. Haha.

After nearly a week long downpour I they finally lifted the burn ban. I had planned on using some gas to burn the huge piles of leaves I had raked up in my back yard, but decided this would be good practice. So, I used just my Mora black w/ fero rod, and a PJ ball. I made two of perhaps the worlds worst feather sticks (really need to work on that), batonned some oak into kindling, and gave it a shot. First strike sent the PJ ball up. Had to sit there and baby it but got it going, even though everything had been soaking for a week.

Took a pretty long time to actually get enough preheated to get the fire self sustaining. After that it became apparent I wasn't going to be able to safely burn any leaves, they were way too wet. Water filled sponge piles. But I was able to burn just about every stick on my property. Got my huge brush pile gone, and all my pine tree trimmings.

Felt good to have gotten so much done without any gas! PJ cotton works great.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You put your wet filter on your body? Not me. In the pack it goes.
    Same with me..its in my survival kit...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr
    hot water bottles and/or bags for putting by your femoral artery

That's something Hunter would ask Ruth to do if he ever gets to go camping with her. He likes to get a drink in the middle of the night.

Well..........Ruth is hot.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

She will keep your bottles warm....for sure.......Yeah.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
    Ok have either of you used a Sawyer? The way you're talking makes me think you're under the impression the whole thing is wet? You shake out the water, only small amounts of residual water reside INSIDE the filter. Never had it leak on me, if that's what your concern is, put it in a small bag.

Anyway. TINDERS. Haha.

After nearly a week long downpour I they finally lifted the burn ban. I had planned on using some gas to burn the huge piles of leaves I had raked up in my back yard, but decided this would be good practice. So, I used just my Mora black w/ fero rod, and a PJ ball. I made two of perhaps the worlds worst feather sticks (really need to work on that), batonned some oak into kindling, and gave it a shot. First strike sent the PJ ball up. Had to sit there and baby it but got it going, even though everything had been soaking for a week.

Took a pretty long time to actually get enough preheated to get the fire self sustaining. After that it became apparent I wasn't going to be able to safely burn any leaves, they were way too wet. Water filled sponge piles. But I was able to burn just about every stick on my property. Got my huge brush pile gone, and all my pine tree trimmings.

Felt good to have gotten so much done without any gas! PJ cotton works great.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Burning copper water filters....(green colors).....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27