Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade tinder for survival kit

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you mentioned it...

My favorite fire starter is small, individual packs of hand sanitizer and those itty-bitty trick birthday candles that won't go out.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    those itty-bitty trick birthday candles that won't go out.
    What do you do with them when you go home?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Wonder how they do that candle not going out thing?

Anyway, duct tape is a good idea, as is the foil, as is a film canister, as in Carmex/lip balm and tissue. running out of room to carry all this fire.

I generally carry a lighter or 7, home made wax and fat-wood sawdust fire starters (not for tinder), cotton/PJ in film canister, candle ends, or votive candles, matches, mag-fire steel, magnifier card (wallet)........and a Zippo....some thing IS gonna burn.

If going going primitive....fire kit...... the flint (rock) and steel with char cloth.....candle ends......and a few lucifer's (old name for matches),fire glass.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I tend to use dryer lint from cotton bath towels, and pitch wood (fatwood) that I collect when I see it (and store for later use). In worse case, I just use a road flare.

Sarge, I never though of using a hand sanitizer wipe. Thanks for adding another tool to the old toolbox.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

+one.... on the road flare....when something really needs to burn.......

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    ....some thing IS gonna burn.....
    Quick! Call the fire department.....again.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah. If Hunter says it's gonna burn, trust me, it's gonna burn. Here's an earlier pic of F.A.R.T. fire fighting training. I think Crash is driving and Pal is in the passenger seat. That's actually Crash making the siren. Good ain't he?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Around here the FD just calls and says....."Now What?"

wine corks soaked in rubbing alcohol,burns long enough to start damp wood. I shall never run out of home made firetinder,have several friends who make home made wine,I just have to remember to keep stocked up on the alcohol!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Pine chip small animal bedding,old cake pan ,everyone's candle stumps, a old coffee pot n single burner stove. Oil or Vaseline the cake pan, fill with pine chips n pour melted wax over. I take it out n chop it into pieces. This works good for the stove at the cabin. Only costs a little time.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    +one.... on the road flare....when something really needs to burn.......
    Yeah....gonna burn....

I used large straws called bubble straws for the packs I made today. (I'm new to the forum and survival prepping.) I coated cotton balls with pj, used a skewer to push one into the straw, heated end with lighter, and clamped that together with needle nose pliers. Cut off the other end beyond the cotton ball, clean up excess pj and seal as before.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nothing wrong with that at all. Seems like a bit of work. 35mm film canisters work well too. You can check the photo dept of CVS, Wally World or similar to see if they have some. They generally just through them away. You can get six cotton balls in a canister. Don't forget, you can use the PJ for medical use too on things like hot spots when hiking and chapped lips. So being able to access it is a good thing.

I use bag balm instead of petroleum jelly.

on another note I didn't realize Hunter is a belt AND suspenders type fella.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I make up PJ balls in ziplock bags and leave some in the bag and put those in the toolbox of the truck and in the glove box of the UTV.

I also use aluminum foil. But, I have taken to carrying the straws. I think they are neater and easy to use for when you use a lighter. Just light the whole straw. No muss no fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by cncgirl00 View Post
    I used large straws called bubble straws for the packs I made today. (I'm new to the forum and survival prepping.) I coated cotton balls with pj, used a skewer to push one into the straw, heated end with lighter, and clamped that together with needle nose pliers. Cut off the other end beyond the cotton ball, clean up excess pj and seal as before.
    I've done this for along time and though some think its to much work once it gets wet and still works its worth the extra effort. I also use this technique for first aid ointments, different colors for different oitments and even pills
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I use bag balm instead of petroleum jelly.

on another note I didn't realize Hunter is a belt AND suspenders type fella.
    Dispatch girl at the last shop I worked for asked the same thing.......
    Now mind you....cell phone, shop cell phone, pager, multi tool (may little kit).....flashlight on belt......

Told her, "Well my butt is too small to hold all this stuff up.....she says "Too much information".....She asked?.....

So, yeah belt and suspenders......

Yep..I usually carry in a 35mm film canister whuich is in my survival kit. However, the ziplock works fine if you wanna carry more. Looks like the cotton ball and vaseline is becoming a natural way now.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Graf
    once it gets wet and still works its worth the extra effort
    PJ and cotton balls work even wet. Try it. PJ is not water soluble.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    PJ and cotton balls work even wet. Try it. PJ is not water soluble.
    I like cotton balls with liquid candle wax, its just as water proof and flammable with much less mess